Are we good enough to stay up?

Match day discussion, transfers, and all things Accies

Re: Are we good enough to stay up?

Postby AlMac » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:56 pm

I'm not a fan of Canning as a manager, however I don't get where all of these "atrocious record" type comments come from.
The facts are:
2014/15: replaced Alex Neil; 7th place finish with 53 points.
2015/16: 10th place finish with 43 points; 7 points ahead of Kilmarnock and 15 points ahead of Dundee United.
2016/17: 11th place after 25 games; 2 points ahead of ICT and only 6 points behind 6th place Dundee. Of the 12 draws so far the team on the park should have been capable of accumulating more points. Only the top 5 have lost less games than Accies....
AlMac
Seaside Leagues

Postby porcupine » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:26 pm

AlMac wrote:I'm not a fan of Canning as a manager, however I don't get where all of these "atrocious record" type comments come from.
The facts are:
2015/16: 10th place finish with 43 points; 7 points ahead of Kilmarnock and 15 points ahead of Dundee United.
2016/17: 11th place after 25 games; 2 points ahead of ICT and only 6 points behind 6th place Dundee. Of the 12 draws so far the team on the park should have been capable of accumulating more points. Only the top 5 have lost less games than Accies....

OK, Statto, how many points has we last year at this stage, compared to what we have now? That will give a much better idea of whether we have improved, trod water, or been slipping back.

The 2014/15 is irrelevant as we aleady had 40ish points when AN left :roll:
porcupine
Premiership

Postby Bomber Harris » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:48 pm

AlMac wrote:I'm not a fan of Canning as a manager, however I don't get where all of these "atrocious record" type comments come from.
The facts are:

He's been in the job for over 2 years now with 22 wins from 91 games. Amazing record
Fat Alan has left the building. Cheers ta pirate
Bomber Harris
Premiership

Postby Stevie Clarke » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:21 pm

I thought Lineker was talking about the team but I concede it may well have been the full squad. Even worse if that was the case. I could see Deacon being a top earner, along with Eastmond, with both having been at Arsenal and Deacon also playing with Crawley. But £4k a wee? Nonsense.
Stevie Clarke
Premiership

Postby Gaspode » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:50 pm

Was Gray not talking about the Lincoln centre forward? Even if he was, i would also doubt he was on 4K a week even though they have a rich chairman who is throwing money at them.
Gaspode
Championship

Postby Bomber Harris » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:16 pm

Gaspode wrote:Was Gray not talking about the Lincoln centre forward? Even if he was, i would also doubt he was on 4K a week even though they have a rich chairman who is throwing money at them.

nope I brought up the question about motherwell signing conference players like Louis Moult and brought up we should be going for players like Maxime Biamou from Sutton and that's when he said he's on 4k and his agent is Mel Sterling. All utter garbage. I know a few fans from the conference and they said only team in that league that would miby pay close to that is Forest Green rovers and that would be 2/3k a week.
Bomber Harris
Premiership

Postby Stevie Clarke » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:29 pm

Bomber Harris wrote:
Gaspode wrote:Was Gray not talking about the Lincoln centre forward? Even if he was, i would also doubt he was on 4K a week even though they have a rich chairman who is throwing money at them.

nope I brought up the question about motherwell signing conference players like Louis Moult and brought up we should be going for players like Maxime Biamou from Sutton and that's when he said he's on 4k and his agent is Mel Sterling. All utter garbage. I know a few fans from the conference and they said only team in that league that would miby pay close to that is Forest Green rovers and that would be 2/3k a week.

Oops, I thought he was talking about Deacon. Point still stands though.
Stevie Clarke
Premiership

Postby Begs.hafc » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:50 pm

Is it not possible that he was just making the point that players in that division were on that sort of money? ,and that we can't just go down and cherry pick anybody we fancy?
Begs.hafc
Seaside Leagues

Postby Stevie Clarke » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:09 pm

Begs.hafc wrote:Is it not possible that he was just making the point that players in that division were on that sort of money? ,and that we can't just go down and cherry pick anybody we fancy?

No, he was specifically talking about a Sutton player. I said in the summer that Andy Cook of Barrow was maybe a player we could bid for; unlikely to be on a big wage at that club but Tranmere got him and he's now one of the league's top scorers. Could have been our Louis Moult. And yes, I know for all Moult is a good signing, Well are only three points above us, but a more prolific striker would surely have turned some of those draws to wins.
Stevie Clarke
Premiership

Postby Big Wurzil » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:51 am

A lot of the wages in the national league are really dictated by which team is getting bankrolled in that specific time period. Google it and you'll plenty on fans forum boards on players salaries. Looking like though it's anything from £350/week up depending on the club.

a lot of players get their wages supplemented by the club finding them a local job through their sponsors. I knew that was definitely the case with a player who went down south years ago
Big Wurzil
Championship

Postby Bomber Harris » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:14 am

As I said Forrest Green Rovers are the only club in the conference being bankrolled and are paying 2/3k pw on some players. Louis Moult cost motherwell 5K and Marvin Johnston cost nout. Motherwell went onto sell Johnston for 650k which was a cracking bit of business. So in seeing that from motherwell would it not make sense raiding that league in terms of business? What Les came out with was absolute shite.
Bomber Harris
Premiership

Postby Bomber Harris » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:51 pm

Well after watching ICT tonight we look doomed. can anyone see any points from next 5 league games?
Bomber Harris
Premiership

Postby redandwhite1874 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:03 am

That's a real set back tonight, team needs support more than ever.

Do Foran's win stats give us any comfort?
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Postby The Bajan Bandit » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:09 am

Forans rant after the game against us has sparked a reaction , maybe it let his team know he is not a soft touch and they had to buck up there ideas .
The Bajan Bandit
Seaside Leagues

Postby redandwhite1874 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:13 am

The Bajan Bandit wrote:Forans rant after the game against us has sparked a reaction , maybe it let his team know he is not a soft touch and they had to buck up there ideas .

Don't worry - we have a game in hand ! :oops:
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Postby Begs.hafc » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:17 am

Bomber ,why didn't you tell Les on the day, that he was talking absolute shite?
Begs.hafc
Seaside Leagues

Postby accies1874 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:20 am

redandwhite1874 wrote:
The Bajan Bandit wrote:Forans rant after the game against us has sparked a reaction , maybe it let his team know he is not a soft touch and they had to buck up there ideas .

Tomorrow's a write-off, but we absolutely need to pick up some points in this run-in. We've had some good performances against these teams this season (Celtic and Rangers away, Aberdeen at home and Hearts at home), so we are capable of doing something. However I just can't see us staying up.
accies1874
Premiership

Postby redandwhite1874 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:22 am

accies1874 wrote:
redandwhite1874 wrote:

Tomorrow's a write-off, but we absolutely need to pick up some points in this run-in. We've had some good performances against these teams this season (Celtic and Rangers away, Aberdeen at home and Hearts at home), so we are capable of doing something. However I just can't see us staying up.

No doubt we need to get players back in and performing; and we are up against it. However, any neutral observer would look at the league table and not rule out anyone as relegated at this stage.
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Postby redandwhite1874 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:25 am

Begs.hafc wrote:Bomber ,why didn't you tell Les on the day, that he was talking absolute shite?

To be fair to Bomber he couldn't get a word in as reg plate had lots of well structured and evenly balanced points to put to Les in person :D He had waited so long, and campaigned so hard, for his chance and he wasn't going to chicken out or not be heard.
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Postby Bomber Harris » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:33 am

Begs.hafc wrote:Bomber ,why didn't you tell Les on the day, that he was talking absolute shite?

if you where at the forum Les asked me if I knew what Sutton players where on. I said probably 2k just as a number of the top of my head and he said 4k my reply was aye ok then. That was one of 4 questions I asked and every one was brush under the carpet. seemed to be a trend that day and he seemed very argumentative at evey question.
Bomber Harris
Premiership

PreviousNext

Return to The Accies