v Rangers in Scottish Cup (potentially)??

Match day discussion, transfers, and all things Accies

v Rangers in Scottish Cup (potentially)??

Postby porcupine » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:58 pm

Yeah, Yeah! "0ne game at a time". "Counting Chickens before hatching" etc. etc. :o :o :o

But, what better incentive for us on Tuesday Night? Home advantage. Game under floodlights where our record is good. Pars team thinking that they had their chances at East End Park, and blew it? And then a rudder-less Rangers team awaiting, OK, at their place, but a big money payout to us from both gate and TV.

For those of us who were there 30 years ago last month, an upset CAN happen and Accies CAN & DID win at Ibrox, against a far, far better team than Rangers have at present. All we need is some self belief and to be in Dunfermline's face from kick-off.

And despite having been at Annan last year, it's Accies to go through on Tuesday.
porcupine
Premiership

Re: v Rangers in Scottish Cup (potentially)??

Postby Stevie Clarke » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:05 pm

Well said, fed up with all the negativity surrounding our potential quarter final. That's the trouble with Scottish football, teams being beaten in their own heads at Ibrox before a ball is kicked. Thankfully more and more sides are realising that they are nothing special. Even if they have a "rudder" by then, probably McLeish, they still have bang average players like Holt and Halliday, while I'd love to see Rakish running at Senderos and Hill. We should have Crawford and Docherty back by then too. Just need to win a very tricky tie tomorrow. We need to have it over and done after 90 as the last thing we need before Thistle on Saturday is extra time.
Stevie Clarke
Premiership

Postby porcupine » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:20 pm

Stevie Clarke wrote:Well said, fed up with all the negativity surrounding our potential quarter final. That's the trouble with Scottish football, teams being beaten in their own heads at Ibrox before a ball is kicked. Thankfully more and more sides are realising that they are nothing special. Even if they have a "rudder" by then, probably McLeish, they still have bang average players like Holt and Halliday, while I'd love to see Rakish running at Senderos and Hill. We should have Crawford and Docherty back by then too. Just need to win a very tricky tie tomorrow. We need to have it over and done after 90 as the last thing we need before Thistle on Saturday is extra time.

Exactly, SC! Hopefully Mr Cannong will express these thoughts to the squad before tomorrows nights game to ensure we win within normal time. It's too bliddy cold for abother 30 minutes and/or kicks from the penalty spot. :roll:
porcupine
Premiership

Re: v Rangers in Scottish Cup

Postby porcupine » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:39 am

A bit concerned to hear, on BBC Sportsound on way home from game tonight, MC going on about our next opponents as a 'Top Flight Team'. Looks like the mind games have got to him already, so heaven knows how he will motivate a team with any positive thoughts.

If we are as poorly organised and set up as tonight, we will get humped, even by a very average team at Ibrox. However, hopefully some of our injured will have recovered full fitness and we can make a competitive game of it, even with a very partisan crowd howling at us.
porcupine
Premiership

Postby TheThirdProclaimer » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:16 pm

porcupine wrote:A bit concerned to hear, on BBC Sportsound on way home from game tonight, MC going on about our next opponents as a 'Top Flight Team'. Looks like the mind games have got to him already, so heaven knows how he will motivate a team with any positive thoughts.

That's exactly what I thought. Rangers are absolutely honking, and everybody else knows it. It was the same on Sportsound on Monday night, this idea that Rangers aren't just a stepping stone to England, and "but this is Rangers" patter. It's embarrassing, they're so far from reality the penny will never drop, totally living in the 90s. Absolutely nothing to be afraid of going there, we're not in the best form but this is as bad a Rangers team as most folk can remember.
TheThirdProclaimer
Seaside Leagues

Postby porcupine » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:41 pm

Glad my hearing was not defective! Thanks.

If this is the mentality and mindset of our manager, then we have little chance in the next round. Rangers are beatable and MC should start to personally believe it NOW.

Without that self-belief how can he possibly motivate his players to win games? :oops: :oops: :oops:

Now, ADMIN, can you please remove the (potentially)?? in the thread's heading
porcupine
Premiership

Postby accies1874 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:47 pm

Other than Celtic, has any other team beaten them at home this season? They're the worst top-flight Rangers team (in both forms) I can ever remember, but a lot of people seem to somehow be forgetting the fact that we're awful as well.
accies1874
Premiership

Postby porcupine » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:04 pm

accies1874 wrote:Other than Celtic, has any other team beaten them at home this season? They're the worst top-flight Rangers team (in both forms) I can ever remember, but a lot of people seem to somehow be forgetting the fact that we're awful as well.

Not I, 1874, we are indeed awful on most occassions, and last night was no exception. DAFC were the far better team, organised and playing as a unit.

It is this mindset that MC has about Ranger,s is what is my concern. "Big Team", "Top Flight Team" etc. etc. Sure, we have nowhere near their support or income, but as a football team, they are arguably no better on the day than we are. Did we not get a draw earlier this season at Ibrox with the Joey Barton's et all playing?

I still can't be convinced that MC has the driving, positive, motivational skills that the John Lambie's and Alex Neil's had for this type of game coming up.

Still, who knows? :shock:
porcupine
Premiership

Postby Gaspode » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:52 pm

Why all the rage about Canning saying "Top flight team" ?. I assume he was meaning it was against a team from our own league ffs!
Gaspode
Championship

Postby Willie Wastle » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:08 pm

We must have played Rangers 35-40 times in my lifetime (I'm over 50), and we've beaten them ... once.

I'm all for optimism and ambition, but measured, and IMO Canning struck the right note.
sic a wife as Willie had, I wadna gie a button for her!
Willie Wastle
Premiership

Postby TheThirdProclaimer » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:17 pm

Sometimes I just wonder if managers give their opponents too much respect. He doesn't need to mention Rangers at all, top flight team or not. Just say something like "We've had the run of the green so far in the cup, there's no reason that can't continue. We treat each game like any other regardless of the opponent and we've as good a chance of getting to the semis as anyone else." I'm not criticising him for his interviews, bland as they can be, just think we could be a wee bit more positive in our statements and interviews at times. Maybe give a wee bit more belief to the fans and even the players.
TheThirdProclaimer
Seaside Leagues

Postby TheThirdProclaimer » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:19 pm

Oh, and also we don't have to beat them at all. We didn't manage to beat Dunfermline in two games until the penalties. In fact we were never even ahead across the two games. Still papped them out though.
TheThirdProclaimer
Seaside Leagues

Return to The Accies