Players wages

Match day discussion, transfers, and all things Accies

Players wages

Postby smc4761 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:50 pm

We keep hearing that many players will not come to our club as we cannot afford them.

Simple question really, how much would a typical full timer at Accies get per week, £500 per week?
smc4761
Premiership

Re: Players wages

Postby Euan » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:24 pm

That would be £26,000 a year, which is not a bad salary for your early twenties.
A couple of experienced players will be on a bit more, but I'd imagine that's a fairly realistic figure.
Euan
Premiership

Postby accies1874 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:57 pm

Donati is apparently on just more than £2K a week - he'll definitely be our highest earner. Not sure who'll be after him and what they'll be on.
accies1874
Premiership

Postby Stodmeister » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:57 am

If we are paying £500 per week it's no wonder we can't attract any players , that's the sort of money clubs in the divisions below the National (Conference) league pay.

It's not a criticism of the club as you have to cut your cloth accordingly we have low crowds and cheap season tickets. It means that every penny counts therefore it kind of baffles me why we would sign duds like Roy etc.

I would suspect we will have quite a few players earning more than that.
Stodmeister
Championship

Postby judgeflash » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:08 am

Stodmeister wrote:If we are paying £500 per week it's no wonder we can't attract any players , that's the sort of money clubs in the divisions below the National (Conference) league pay.

It's not a criticism of the club as you have to cut your cloth accordingly we have low crowds and cheap season tickets. It means that every penny counts therefore it kind of baffles me why we would sign duds like Roy etc.

I would suspect we will have quite a few players earning more than that.

This was covered in the fan forum apparently, they openly admitted that they don't have proper scouting in place, they practically take stabs in the dark hoping to find a gem amongst potentials.
judgeflash
Premiership

Postby TheThirdProclaimer » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:27 am

They also said that the wages players like Roy, Diaby etc are on is negligible (my words, not Les's). He advised that it makes practically no difference taking these guys on for 6 months or so, saying "You wouldn't go out to work for it".

Also, what we sometimes forget is that it is possible for a player to look good in training/trials and then fail when it comes to the step up to the first team. Quite simply we don't have the money to compete with any other team in the Premiership and most of the Championship for more established players, so we've got to take this route. I don't like it much at all, but what is the other option? The impression Les gave at the forum was that any deal we do has to be done completely out of the notice of other clubs, or we risk losing out due to money. It's not an easy job I don't suppose.
TheThirdProclaimer
Seaside Leagues

Postby judgeflash » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:53 am

TheThirdProclaimer wrote:They also said that the wages players like Roy, Diaby etc are on is negligible (my words, not Les's). He advised that it makes practically no difference taking these guys on for 6 months or so, saying "You wouldn't go out to work for it".

Also, what we sometimes forget is that it is possible for a player to look good in training/trials and then fail when it comes to the step up to the first team. Quite simply we don't have the money to compete with any other team in the Premiership and most of the Championship for more established players, so we've got to take this route. I don't like it much at all, but what is the other option? The impression Les gave at the forum was that any deal we do has to be done completely out of the notice of other clubs, or we risk losing out due to money. It's not an easy job I don't suppose.

I'd not agree with that completely, Seaborne was an absolute shambles at Partick, they couldn't believe we signed him either.
judgeflash
Premiership

Postby TheThirdProclaimer » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:19 pm

And yet when he came in quite a few people would have looked at him and thought "someone with Premiership/SPL experience, we should be signing more of these types of players". Loy has been a shambles at Dundee, and folk were saying we should get him. The reality is that, at our level, signings are pretty hit and miss for all clubs. Look at the number of players Killie and Inverness are signing, some of whom we'd probably have taken during the window, and they don't really make any difference.
TheThirdProclaimer
Seaside Leagues

Postby redandwhite1874 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:06 pm

Thistle wanted to keep Seaborne and he fits the oft repeated criteria of conventional signing that allegedly means guaranteed success. Roy was a total punt to beef up the u20s in the absence of Brophy and Boyd and who could maybe challenge the first team. It didn't work out but the fact that he is the only one of this year's signings to be mentioned tells it's own story. I am sure the duds signed by ICT, Killie and Thistle will have cost them far more than Roy.

Ironic that most of the names chucked in as potential signings by some fans end up at the bottom of the championship. But that is always forgotten.
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Postby judgeflash » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:18 pm

redandwhite1874 wrote:Thistle wanted to keep Seaborne and he fits the oft repeated criteria of conventional signing that allegedly means guaranteed success. Roy was a total punt to beef up the u20s in the absence of Brophy and Boyd and who could maybe challenge the first team. It didn't work out but the fact that he is the only one of this year's signings to be mentioned tells it's own story. I am sure the duds signed by ICT, Killie and Thistle will have cost them far more than Roy.

Ironic that most of the names chucked in as potential signings by some fans end up at the bottom of the championship. But that is always forgotten.

I should say, thistle fans couldn't believe, incase that wasn't clear ;) I know a guy that does the FM ratings, he's a partick fan, pretty knowledgable.
I think Donati has come good, he had a rough spell but has some much needed composure, it's a shame he isn't captain with Devlin as understudy.
judgeflash
Premiership

Postby Scotty Tunbridge » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:27 pm

judgeflash wrote:
redandwhite1874 wrote:Thistle wanted to keep Seaborne and he fits the oft repeated criteria of conventional signing that allegedly means guaranteed success. Roy was a total punt to beef up the u20s in the absence of Brophy and Boyd and who could maybe challenge the first team. It didn't work out but the fact that he is the only one of this year's signings to be mentioned tells it's own story. I am sure the duds signed by ICT, Killie and Thistle will have cost them far more than Roy.

I should say, thistle fans couldn't believe, incase that wasn't clear ;) I know a guy that does the FM ratings, he's a partick fan, pretty knowledgable.
I think Donati has come good, he had a rough spell but has some much needed composure, it's a shame he isn't captain with Devlin as understudy.

marc wallace is a space cadet, wouldn't be my source as "pretty knowledgable". Nice guy though.
Scotty Tunbridge
Championship

Return to The Accies