Fans Forum

Match day discussion, transfers, and all things Accies

Re: Fans Forum

Postby accies1874 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:28 pm

Stevie Clarke wrote:
accies1874 wrote:No, I didn't. However the one point I did raise was completely shot down by Gray. Unsurprisingly in his usual arrogant and dismissing demeanour.

Was that the Raith Rovers point about McGowan? Perfectly valid question and you're right. He's a great laugh though, apparently.

That was me, yeah. I've heard of Gray being a good public speaker, but I actually thought he came off worse out of the forum.
accies1874
Premiership

Postby redandwhite1874 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:39 pm

Stevie Clarke wrote:
accies1874 wrote:No, I didn't. However the one point I did raise was completely shot down by Gray. Unsurprisingly in his usual arrogant and dismissing demeanour.

I can understand his backing of his manager, and I hope he and Mackinnon are right. But it's clear they have no real thought for the fans if they are saying he'll almost certainly be boss if we go down and presumably if we also were to lose ten matches in a row. We'll be playing in front of 500 fans if that happens.

'No real thought for the fans' - that's not true, you are talking as if the fans (as a body of people) share your opinion. He was asked if MC would be sacked if we were relegated, he said he hopes we won't and thinks we wont but in anycase MC would probably not be sacked if he kept doing what was asked of him. But he did say that the point can come when a hard decision might have to be made. The 10 games being lost in the championship is, as you say, a total presumption; and not one based in anything that was said or hinted at.
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Postby redandwhite1874 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:43 pm

accies1874 wrote:
Stevie Clarke wrote:

Was that the Raith Rovers point about McGowan? Perfectly valid question and you're right. He's a great laugh though, apparently.

That was me, yeah. I've heard of Gray being a good public speaker, but I actually thought he came off worse out of the forum.

Les did cut than one off and I thought one of the many other fans unhappy at McGowan could have jumped in and made the point that Raith is in the past but his current role is important for fans to understand.

The Supporter Liaison Officer seems to be a positive and the board were honest in terms of accepting critical comments about communications, the shop and some players we have signed.
Last edited by redandwhite1874 on Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Postby Stevie Clarke » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:44 pm

I meant lose ten in a row in the Premier. It seems fairly clear that, as I said, Canning will not be sacked were that to happen. But I hope he is proven right.
Stevie Clarke
Premiership

Postby redandwhite1874 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:54 pm

Stevie Clarke wrote:I meant lose ten in a row in the Premier. It seems fairly clear that, as I said, Canning will not be sacked were that to happen. But I hope he is proven right.

Well we have come nowhere near losing 10 games in a row this season so what is the point of raising that speculative scenario? All season we have been competing to stay in this league - but those critical of the manager always seem reticent to use the league table as a measure. Instead its games without a win (as if draws don't count) or a record over 3 separate seasons in the top flight and comparing apples and pears to come up with 'worst manager in the UK / Accies history' etc.

I also thought it interesting that the only player signing of this season that got mentioned critically was Roy. All the others were from previous seasons, primarily last season and of course the point was neglected that we still survived.
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Postby porcupine » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:03 pm

For those who were not there, I (think) Les said

Communication with fans was accepted as needing significant improvement.
Fans Liason Officer has been appointed to facilitate better communication/improve web-site/ etc. etc.
Directors are happy to speak to fans on a one2one basis at/after any game or at a prearranged time.

Football Club is still a seperate legal entity from Stadium Company.
SC is owned 25% each by Colin McGowan, Walter Hamilton, Ronnie McDonald, and Les himself.
McGowan put up £300K originally to buy the Stadium and avert Liquidation for that and the Club.
Football Club has no debt, no bank overdraft facility, and is fully solvent.
Directors have no intention of altering their prudent approach to one which could risk administration/liquidation in near or far-off future.

No scouting system exists other than in Scotland, and that is done by Directors & staff going to games at every level all over Scotland.
Former Players as English Contacts are tapped for potential players...Alex Neil, Graeme Jones, Stewart Taylor etc.
Wage structure in England with TV money paying salaries way above what we can afford means even National League players won't come north for far less money.
Policy of signing 'unknown's will probably continue to find the odd 'diamond' from those who impressed during a weeks trial, but found to be far short of real skill.
These short term contracts cost the Club far far less than we would think was paid. This did NOT impact on our financial stability.
Accepted that rather than pay six 'duds' (my words) money would be better to be spent on one 'gem' Problem is finding them before anyone lese finds them.
Mulitple vailable players were 'nearly' signed at the transfer window, but when other clubs found us to be interested, they then outbid us.
Many footballers have no moral scruples in saying one thing and doing another when it comes to signing a contract.

Manager was not at meeting, but has the full support of the BOM who recognise that he has had a steep learning curve in the last 18 months.
BOM still feel we will retain our SPFL status for another season where we are very much part of a big pack and are not cut adrift from the others.
BOM are passionate about seeing Accies continue as a successful SPFL Club.
There is absolutely no foundation to any suggestion that the BOM would be happier in the Championship at ant stage.
MC will be retained and no dinasour manager wil be appointed.
Accepted however that some managerial decisions re. substitutions in games, may have been questionable and cost us points.

There may be more but that's enough for you to read and discuss just now :o :shock:
porcupine
Premiership

Postby redandwhite1874 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:06 pm

You missed out the bit about Billy McKay being a really nice guy and decent individual :oops: :lol: :lol:
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Postby porcupine » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:13 pm

Many footballers have no moral scruples in saying one thing and doing another when it comes to signing a contract.

I am aware of Libel/Slander etc. etc
porcupine
Premiership

Postby Stevie Clarke » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:54 pm

redandwhite1874 wrote:
Stevie Clarke wrote:I meant lose ten in a row in the Premier. It seems fairly clear that, as I said, Canning will not be sacked were that to happen. But I hope he is proven right.

Well we have come nowhere near losing 10 games in a row this season so what is the point of raising that speculative scenario? All season we have been competing to stay in this league - but those critical of the manager always seem reticent to use the league table as a measure. Instead its games without a win (as if draws don't count) or a record over 3 separate seasons in the top flight and comparing apples and pears to come up with 'worst manager in the UK / Accies history' etc.

I also thought it interesting that the only player signing of this season that got mentioned critically was Roy. All the others were from previous seasons, primarily last season and of course the point was neglected that we still survived.

Fair enough, just dealing in hypotheticals.

Good summary porcupine. Being a pedantic pain in the arse, the SPFL is all the four leagues. Quite a few pundits and managers (Peter Houston for example) also make this mistake.
Stevie Clarke
Premiership

Postby porcupine » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:12 pm

Oh, and there's more.

Les was unaware of the strength of ill feeling from supporters to keep hearing in the media about " we are a wee club punching above our weight" from him or others in the Club. He undertook to stop this phraseology with immediate effect, and also to try to have CM kept away from press interviews where ill judged remarks from the Chief Executive are seized upon by the media to make up a more sensational story for the Red Tops.

Time will tell, on that one too!
porcupine
Premiership

Postby porcupine » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:15 pm

And apologies from me for the SPFL typo error.
porcupine
Premiership

Postby accies1874 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:13 am

I'd like to say that I have admiration for the fact that Les Gray decided to call this; he realised there was discontent among fans and acted upon it. However I'd have a lot more respect for him if he didn't do a lot of it through gritted teeth.
Red and white, you said to me that McGowan at Raith is in the past, and if Gray simply said that to me, then I wouldn't be so annoyed at it. The way he spoke to me was out of order, in my opinion.
McKinnon just spoke about Dundee and Kilmarnock, though Maitland came across very well.
accies1874
Premiership

Postby Bomber Harris » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:31 am

And guess who has a centre page story in the sun today?
Fat Alan has left the building. Cheers ta pirate
Bomber Harris
Premiership

Postby TheThirdProclaimer » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:50 am

Not sure who is posting on the wearehamilton twitter feed, but asking DU fans how many goals Tony Andreu has scored this season. What's the point? If you were at the forum yesterday you'd have heard the reason he didn't come to Accies - we offered more than DU, but Andreu had no interest in coming back. Can we not just leave it at that? He's not coming, move on!
TheThirdProclaimer
Seaside Leagues

Postby Stevie Clarke » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:32 pm

Bomber Harris wrote:And guess who has a centre page story in the sun today?

Heard it's McGowan. Is it dates for his stand up tour?
Stevie Clarke
Premiership

Postby PrideOfLanarkshire » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:29 am

Stevie Clarke wrote:
Bomber Harris wrote:And guess who has a centre page story in the sun today?

Heard it's McGowan. Is it dates for his stand up tour?

He's a real funny guy you know, watch out Frankie Boyle.
PrideOfLanarkshire
Championship

Postby PrideOfLanarkshire » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:35 am

Respect to Les Gray for hosting the fans forum, however i would like another one at the end of season to see what our plan is for next season in the prem / life in the championship. The interaction with the fans was long overdue and i hope Saturday wasn't just a one off.

I also thought the McGowan question WAS relevant as he is our CEO, doesn't matter if it happened 5 years ago or 5 months. We have a right as supporters to know who is involved with the club.
PrideOfLanarkshire
Championship

Postby Burst Baws » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:27 am

It was news to me that Colin McGowan put the initial 300k into the club to save from closure. I can remember Ronnie taking the praise for doing this, certainly never any mention of McGowan
Burst Baws
Seaside Leagues

Postby Red and white hoops » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:13 pm

It's all ok but. He's les's mate and has a good sense of humour.
Red and white hoops
Championship

Postby TheThirdProclaimer » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:20 pm

Burst Baws wrote:It was news to me that Colin McGowan put the initial 300k into the club to save from closure. I can remember Ronnie taking the praise for doing this, certainly never any mention of McGowan

I thought the same, also, does anyone know where he got the £300k? What is his actual business? I'm not questioning it, genuinely interested since I haven't read much about how he made his money.

I thought overall the forum was pretty good. Certain questions (manager etc) are never going to be answered to some people's satisfaction unless Les says "you're right actually, we'll just sack him now". I thought the first 10 mins or so of chat from Les is all that was needed in terms of finding out what's been going on the last while. If that happened every now and again throughout the season that would be all a lot of people need. Hopefully we see this communication strategy actually put into place, and get some flesh on the bones of that.
TheThirdProclaimer
Seaside Leagues

PreviousNext

Return to The Accies