'Captain' Devlin

Match day discussion, transfers, and all things Accies

'Captain' Devlin

Postby judgeflash » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:42 pm

Mikey Devlin has been officially announced as Captain of the club for the season.
Am I the only one that would have had Dougie as the natural choice instead? Mikey doesn't have any form of commanding presence, or look likely to lead by example.
judgeflash
Premiership

Re: 'Captain' Devlin

Postby acciescwilson » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:56 pm

Totally agree, Surely Dougie had to be the better choice
acciescwilson
Pub League

Re: Captain Devlin

Postby Willie Wastle » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:55 pm

Good luck to Mikey Devlin, a young Captain (no inverted commas needed) who will lead by example.

Who cares who else could have done it? He's the choice, and I'm sure he's a good one.
sic a wife as Willie had, I wadna gie a button for her!
Willie Wastle
Premiership

Postby Bomber Harris » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:04 pm

last year folk moaning about the captain being a goalie and now this season moaning because it's not a certain player. Let's back the guy now.
Fat Alan has left the building. Cheers ta pirate
Bomber Harris
Premiership

Postby Euan » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:13 pm

Good choice, he's come through the ranks and is one of the first names on the teamsheet.
He's a good organiser and has a presence on the park. Someone the younger players can aspire to follow.
He also comes across as a sensible, level headed person, so unlikely to cause controversy.
The obvious choice. Good luck to him and I hope he's Captain for the foreseeable future.
Euan
Premiership

Postby Stevie Clarke » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:28 pm

Level headed Devlin over petulant Imrie. Nope, beats me too!
Stevie Clarke
Premiership

Postby WAC » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:21 pm

Level headed devlin? Is that not the guy who stuck the fingers up at fans because he was getting pelters for playing rank rotten.
WAC
Seaside Leagues

Postby Stevie Clarke » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:25 pm

Did he? Good for him.
Stevie Clarke
Premiership

Postby Red and white hoops » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:00 pm

Remember dougie is under 17s coach so is already involved in the management set up and has an influence.
Red and white hoops
Championship

Postby Euan » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:25 am

WAC wrote:Level headed devlin? Is that not the guy who stuck the fingers up at fans because he was getting pelters for playing rank rotten.

Add attitude to his list of qualities.
Euan
Premiership

Postby judgeflash » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:21 am

Stevie Clarke wrote:Did he? Good for him.

Yes he did, I think he apologised but throwing up the V's to your own fans because they're acknowledging your poor performance..hmm.. Level headed? Perhaps if his head was more level he wouldn't gift as many goals the past 3+ seasons.
Anyway,
To call Dougie petulent is pretty silly, the guy arguably covers the most ground of any player and never seems to take the foot off the accelerator, can tell he's passionate, when the likes of Mackinnon start their carry on it's Dougie that's usually first to the scene, not Devlin.
As the above poster pointed out, Dougie is a youth team coach with a wealth of experience whilst still being a good player, he would be the obvious choice for a Captain for me.
Maybe this will be the catalyst for Mikey fulfilling his potential, who knows.

PS
The idea of a forum is to discuss, because someone doesn't agree with you or the clubs selections, doesn't mean they're wrong or you're wrong, it's called opinion, has nothing to do with being negative or moaning. Just a wee reminder ;D
judgeflash
Premiership

Postby Willie Wastle » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:16 am

I'd say starting a thread about our new captain appointment, a young player who's come through the ranks, by criticising his suitability as captain, and putting inverted commas around captain, is both being negative and moaning.
sic a wife as Willie had, I wadna gie a button for her!
Willie Wastle
Premiership

Postby judgeflash » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:38 am

Willie Wastle wrote:I'd say starting a thread about our new captain appointment, a young player who's come through the ranks, by criticising his suitability as captain, and putting inverted commas around captain, is both being negative and moaning.

Inverted commas are used to draw attention to a certain word.
Y'know, that's usually what happens, big news such as this breaks, not everyone would have known about it yet, so you post it onto a forum to gauge opinions and reactions.
Because someone doesn't agree with a selection that's moaning in your opinion? Interesting.
Moaning is defined as a meaningless complaint predominantly something TRIVIAL. A captaincy for the season onwards is not trivial IMO, maybe in your opinion it is.
A youth who has come through the ranks, never lived upto his potential, showing very little signs of leadership, throwing up V's to his own fans, that is a questionable appointment, I'm afraid. With your criteria Crawford or Gillespie would've been a first pick for this.
In my eyes, Imrie should've had the captaincy last season, further shocked he didn't get it this season.
judgeflash
Premiership

Postby redandwhite1874 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:26 pm

I have no issues at all with Michael and I think it's good that one of our own gets that honour. I would not criticise Dougie but he can't be captain as he is already a recognised member of the coaching team and there needs to be a conduit between the staff and players.

I don't accept Michael has not fulfilled his potential and don't think that any single show of petulance means you can't be captain. Fans love to bring up the disagreement with some fans but funnily enough they never detail exactly what was being shouted to Michael. I don't buy the point of view that fans can abuse players without response. Good luck Michael
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Postby judgeflash » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:28 pm

redandwhite1874 wrote:I have no issues at all with Michael and I think it's good that one of our own gets that honour. I would not criticise Dougie but he can't be captain as he is already a recognised member of the coaching team and there needs to be a conduit between the staff and players.

I don't accept Michael has not fulfilled his potential and don't think that any single show of petulance means you can't be captain. Fans love to bring up the disagreement with some fans but funnily enough they never detail exactly what was being shouted to Michael. I don't buy the point of view that fans can abuse players without response. Good luck Michael

I don't think Michael Devlin has fulfilled his potential, he's showed signs of being a decent CB but has never in my opinion had a good run of games in a row.
It wasn't the show of petulance (if i recall, it was standard YOU ARE SHITE banter being
thrown his way) , it was a combination of all the reasons I stated, which led me to believe he's not even my third pick for new team captain.
Our greatest manager of all time, Martin Canning was managing the u17's whilst being captain under Alex Neil?
judgeflash
Premiership

Postby Stevie Clarke » Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:24 pm

Great supporters eh, "you're shite Devlin", that's bound to help. And then the precious dears get the hump when he responds. By the way, we all can work out why you put captain in inverted commas, don't insult our intelligence.

Devlin played in all five games in 14/15 where we had a record run of clean sheets, including at Parkhead and at home to Aberdeen. He missed more than half of last season injured. Being captain might be the making of him.
Stevie Clarke
Premiership

Postby Burst Baws » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:19 pm

Stevie Clarke wrote:Great supporters eh, "you're shite Devlin", that's bound to help. And then the precious dears get the hump when he responds. By the way, we all can work out why you put captain in inverted commas, don't insult our intelligence.

Devlin played in all five games in 14/15 where we had a record run of clean sheets, including at Parkhead and at home to Aberdeen. He missed more than half of last season injured. Being captain might be the making of him.

Agreed. He was on Clyde Superscoreboard tonight and came across as an intelligent level headed young man.
Burst Baws
Seaside Leagues

Postby Euan » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:48 pm

"You are shite" isn't banter.. It's abuse, in the same way someone telling you your opinion is shite would be abusive and you'd be quite within your right to flick the v's at the poster.
Euan
Premiership

Postby judgeflash » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:01 am

Euan wrote:"You are shite" isn't banter.. It's abuse, in the same way someone telling you your opinion is shite would be abusive and you'd be quite within your right to flick the v's at the poster.

did I say abuse was banter? no. He was taking pelters for a poor performance, one of many. I'm sure at the time they should've been shouting "Cmon Mikey, stop making the wrong decisions and falling on your arse" :mrgreen:
Yep.. I did say that the captaincy might be the catalyst of him fulfilling his potential 'Stevie Clarke' glad you agree.
judgeflash
Premiership

Postby Euan » Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:41 pm

Did you say abuse was banter?

judgeflash wrote:it was standard YOU ARE SHITE banter being
thrown his way

Actually you did!

I didn't say your post or opinion was shite...but if I had you'd be perfectly right to be annoyed and to stick your fingers up at me.
Euan
Premiership

Next

Return to The Accies