Michael McGovern

Match day discussion, transfers, and all things Accies

Michael McGovern

Postby KIO » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:40 pm

Norwich fan peace.

It is being widely reported that Michael McGovern is set to sign for us later in the week, teaming up once again with Alex Neil.

Could any of you guys throw any light on why his contract with Accies was allowed to run down allowing him to leave on a free?

Obviously most of us Canaries fans have only witnessed his heroics in the Euros which may not tell the full story.

Many thanks in advance.
KIO
Pub League

Re: Michael McGovern

Postby Willie Wastle » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:28 pm

We don't stand in the way of any player who wants to leave.

McGovern was our captain and our player of the season last year. We'd have loved to have kept him.

Will he be good enough at the top end of the Championship? I think so, but he's occasionally error-prone and you'll likely be less tolerant of that than Accies.
sic a wife as Willie had, I wadna gie a button for her!
Willie Wastle
Premiership

Postby KIO » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:43 pm

Willie Wastle wrote:We don't stand in the way of any player who wants to leave.

McGovern was our captain and our player of the season last year. We'd have loved to have kept him.

Will he be good enough at the top end of the Championship? I think so, but he's occasionally error-prone and you'll likely be less tolerant of that than Accies.

Thanks mate, TBH our current custodian Mr Ruddy has become extremely error prone so we're used to it :D
KIO
Pub League

Postby Burst Baws » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:00 pm

Having seen Ruddy playing in Scotland with Motherwell, I don't think that McGovern will be any improvement over him who in his time up here was a first class keeper. As WW mentions above, McGovern has a few errors in his game and I've often thought that there's been quite a few occasions where he could have done better in situations which didn't necessarily result in a goal.

Saying that, I hope he does well and becomes in time your first choice keeper.
Burst Baws
Seaside Leagues

Postby Stevie Clarke » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:33 pm

The only Accies keeper that tops Michael McGovern imo is Tomas Cerny, now at Partick and seemingly long term injured. Like Cerny, I would say that McGovern rarely committed what you could say was a howler but like any keeper, there were a few goals where he could have done better. The Euros proved he has what it takes at the highest level and tbh having spent a large part of his earlier career on the bench, he will not be moving down south just to sit on the bench and count his money. He's 32 so will need to be playing every week.
Stevie Clarke
Premiership

Return to The Accies