We're simply not good enough for the SPFL

Match day discussion, transfers, and all things Accies

We're simply not good enough for the SPFL

Postby porcupine » Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:40 pm

We have had our day in the sun. Yes, there are other teams who might be not much better, but we lack physicality, creativity and anything other than a predictable game plan.

How is it that other teams seem to have bigger/taller players both in defence, midfield and up-front? Since losing Scotland and Nade, we have nobody that can hold the ball up, far less outmuscle defenders. Tactics (if any) are hoofing the ball up to small lone attackers, rather than play the ball on the deck. No excuse, when we play at home, for long balls. We should be better than all who come to NDP, at playing the ball on the surface. We're not, as home results have proven.

Should we avoid the "drop" or the "play-offs", we can expect a desperate next season, if still in the SPFL, with the current manager and squad. Can anyone see us NOT being relegated next season, assuming we stay up this time? Whatever investment we have made in players this season, has been a total failure and a waste of money.

Defeatist Talk, do I hear? No, just a touch of realism, given our sustained run of results from our management team. We are, quite simply, not nearly good enough to compete with any consistency at this level, with the current Manager and too many indifferent Players.
porcupine
Premiership

Re: We're simply not good enough for the SPFL

Postby Todd_is_God » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:22 pm

I can guarantee that we will not be relegated from the SPFL next season
Todd_is_God
Seaside Leagues

Postby porcupine » Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:02 pm

Todd_is_God wrote:I can guarantee that we will not be relegated from the SPFL next season

Explain? Is that because you can guarantee that we will be relegated this season?
porcupine
Premiership

Postby Bomber Harris » Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:17 pm

Total pish. Btw way it's the spfl premiership or are you meaning we should be a lowland league team? The players we have are more than capable of holding there own in this league. Most of the players we have where part of the Alex Neil squad.This was proven last season. It's clear to see that the players have lost faith and confidence in our total clueless idiot of a manager. If we had a real manager, I don't care who it is but a real manager he wouldn't be serving us this garbage week upon week. We have good players and a couple of very good players but there careers are being ruined by Martin Canning. He has destroyed the legacy of a team Alex left behind for him to build on and make better. Don't blame the players. Blame the manager and board
Fat Alan has left the building. Cheers ta pirate
Bomber Harris
Premiership

Postby Alexander the Great » Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:41 pm

We must have the worst home record in the spfl not lowland who has an artificial pitch, we seem to have more chance of picking up points away from home and how many goals have we lost between the 45th and 50th minute must be alot more than the other 17 five minute sections, are the players not focused after half time team talk ?
daft donnachie is thicker than the lenses on they daft specs he wears !
Alexander the Great
Championship

Postby redandwhite1874 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:41 am

Well the thread is headed we are not good enough for the SPFL but the originator then continues that it might be next year before we are relegated. So a bit of a contradiction, but one which is perhaps informed by our form over the last 5 months; we are not in a relegation place and have never been in such a position this season but that is down to August and September only.

First and foremost we need to take care of this season before thinking of next - 5 points is a decent lead on one hand but the bottom 6 fixtures mean it could disappear in a heartbeat. MC has sort of proven he can park the bus but that will not be good enough. MC has a kind of point when he says we are not getting doins, but like yesterday too often teams who look to be a match with us are beating us and our home record is horrendous.

In terms of signings, too many contribute absolutely nothing and are not even good enough as fringe players; but again as is the way with Accies its a bit more complex than that as the same signing policy/process has brought in some good signings. But too many of the inferior kind this season mean we have not used the platform that the early season results gave us.

We will need to punch above our weight to stay in this league and to do that we need players and staff who can do that. The club can be pretty ruthless with players who don't reach the standard and they are going have to do the same with the manager.

We are still fighting in this division and its a shame too many folk talk like fans but wont get behind the team when it comes down to the crunch times like the next 7 games.
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Postby Bomber Harris » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:17 am

redandwhite1874 wrote:Well the thread is headed we are not good enough for the SPFL but the originator then continues that it might be next year before we are relegated. So a bit of a contradiction, but one which is perhaps informed by our form over the last 5 months; we are not in a relegation place and have never been in such a position this season but that is down to August and September only.

First and foremost we need to take care of this season before thinking of next - 5 points is a decent lead on one hand but the bottom 6 fixtures mean it could disappear in a heartbeat. MC has sort of proven he can park the bus but that will not be good enough. MC has a kind of point when he says we are not getting doins, but like yesterday too often teams who look to be a match with us are beating us and our home record is horrendous.

In terms of signings, too many contribute absolutely nothing and are not even good enough as fringe players; but again as is the way with Accies its a bit more complex than that as the same signing policy/process has brought in some good signings. But too many of the inferior kind this season mean we have not used the platform that the early season results gave us.

We will need to punch above our weight to stay in this league and to do that we need players and staff who can do that. The club can be pretty ruthless with players who don't reach the standard and they are going have to do the same with the manager.

We are still fighting in this division and its a shame too many folk talk like fans but wont get behind the team when it comes down to the crunch times like the next 7 games.

Very good Martin.
Bomber Harris
Premiership

Postby H9crx » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:25 am

redandwhite1874 wrote:Well the thread is headed we are not good enough for the SPFL but the originator then continues that it might be next year before we are relegated. So a bit of a contradiction, but one which is perhaps informed by our form over the last 5 months; we are not in a relegation place and have never been in such a position this season but that is down to August and September only.

Did les Wright this for you?
H9crx
Premiership

Postby Alexander the Great » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:25 am

I completely agree with rednwhite
daft donnachie is thicker than the lenses on they daft specs he wears !
Alexander the Great
Championship

Postby Gaspode » Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:21 pm

H9crx wrote:

Did les Wright this for you?

Who is Les Wright?
Gaspode
Championship

Postby redandwhite1874 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:41 pm

Les Wright is the name H9crx has his Motherwell season ticket in ?
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Postby Mrsweetleftfoot » Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:42 pm

R and W......

As much as I echo some of what you write I feel that the biggest problem is the brand of football we are served up and the fact that I sit and watch the matches thinking 'we ain't winning this'

The players are bereft of confidence, the passing football, our trade-mark over the course of the early part of last season, is long gone!
We now seem intent on playing a brand of football better suited to ICT, RC, M'well, St J but lacking the big strong players to do this.....
You don't play basketball if you are 5 ft so why do we play long balls etc when our midfield is geared up for pressing and passing??

For me, the players are following instructions given from the management.....that's where the flaw lies.
If MC wants to play this way, fine.......but, get the players in place to be able to do it effectively.

I'm still worried about survival this season but think we might just sneak another couple of 1-0 wins to guarantee our safety.

I can't go this 'punching above our weight' pisch!!!

I wander if Leicester have similar thoughts??......or Ross County, as they won the League Cup last week.....

For the most part, you play the brand of football that best suits the personnel you have at the club......simple!
Mrsweetleftfoot
Championship

Postby redandwhite1874 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:58 pm

Mrssweetleftfoot it seems we agree on most things. Whilst I did note some positives my clear conclusion was that we need to change the manager.

I think everyone at Leicester knows there are punching above their weight, don't you? It's not a bad thing or an excuse to note that primarily in football resources give results over the long term. I hope Leicester win it would be fantastic but I wouldn't bet them being top 4 next year. Just like I wouldn't expect Norwich to do so either.
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Postby Bomber Harris » Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:01 pm

Alexander the Great wrote:I completely agree with rednwhite

You would but you also still believe canning can turn this around.
Bomber Harris
Premiership

Postby porcupine » Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:23 pm

Good to see sensible responses to this thread.

All of us seem agreed that we have some talented players,in a squad of mixed abilities, but who are all underperforming. We know we are not much better or worse than many of the teams around us. The league position, and the results in 2016, show a downward spiral, and that is indisputable. Can this be reversed at this very late stage?

Again, with the core of players having performed much better under another manager, it seems that the current manager's inability to get the best out of our squad, is the core problem. e.g.Crawford's recent performances. Yes, we are not relegated at this stage, or even in a play-off situation, but realistically, can you see Aberdeen surrendering any points? OR Dundee being better than a draw, at best?

Our present run of play and tactics does not encourage me to see us challenging for all the 15 points available after the split. I DO want to see us retain our Premier League status this season, but without a major change in approach, motivation and tactics, quite apart from individuals matching Dougie Imrie and Ziggy Gordon's 150% effort each week, then it's a big ask of someone who looks not to have the ability of all round management.

The BoD are all businessmen and are unlikely to sustain underperformance at the top. However, time will tell, for all,of us.
porcupine
Premiership

Postby DC United » Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:04 pm

We are good enough for the SPFL. That isn't saying much given the lack of quality throughout the league. A decent manager would be able to get more from this group of players. 7 points off the top 6 shows we are not much worse.
DC United
Pub League

Postby Stevie Clarke » Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:35 pm

SPFL is all four divisions. The OP means SPFL Premiership.
Stevie Clarke
Premiership

Postby The Bajan Bandit » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:37 pm

Canning has stopped the "i can turn it around" spiel and now just sweeps every defeat under the carpet as he knows as long as he keeps quiet and tows the company line he can keep on being a kiddy-on manager , he probably enjoyed a trip up to Dundee today , spot of lunch , paid for by the club before watching the derby thinking of how negative we can be against Dundee .
The Bajan Bandit
Seaside Leagues

Postby Accies73 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:26 pm

I actually hate the man now.
He is a fraud, never a manager an imposter who if he had any decency would resign. Sick of listening to his pish.
Accies73
Seaside Leagues

Postby porcupine » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:55 am

Bajan Bandit and Accies73, this is not THE CANNING THREAD. I'm trying to get some discussion going here on our chances of survival.

Please re-post your statements to the one originally grouped by ADMIN on our current manager as entitled above. Otherwise, we will end up with YET ANOTHER thread on the same subject.

Thanks.
porcupine
Premiership

Next

Return to The Accies