We're simply not good enough for the SPFL

Match day discussion, transfers, and all things Accies

Re: We're simply not good enough for the SPFL

Postby Willie Wastle » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:51 pm

1. We don't have a settled defence.

2. We lack creativity and don't have a goalscoring threat from midfield. We haven't since Andreu left; it looked for a bit as if Crawford might step up, but he seems devoid of confidence.

3. We lack a striker who causes defences problems and can be counted on to get 10 goals a season (a modest target). Actually, we've lacked such a striker for years, other than Stevie May or, in the second tier Richard Offiong. This would not be so much of a problem if it wasn't for point 2, as the likes of MAC and Jason Scotland have shown.

If we survive this season, which I still believe we will, albeit failing to win on Saturday was a huge missed opportunity, then we'll need to strengthen significantly for next season. Or else we'll be 12th. I think it's premature to say we're not good enough now, but we're close to that point.
sic a wife as Willie had, I wadna gie a button for her!
Willie Wastle
Premiership

Postby Bomber Harris » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:23 pm

porcupine wrote:Bajan Bandit and Accies73, this is not THE CANNING THREAD. I'm trying to get some discussion going here on our chances of survival.

Please re-post your statements to the one originally grouped by ADMIN on our current manager as entitled above. Otherwise, we will end up with YET ANOTHER thread on the same subject.

Thanks.

You started a topic " we're simply not good enough for the spfl " but posters are not allowed to use that man's name in this topic. Our chances are very slim and its down go one man but don't want to say his name. Do you want people to lie on your post?
Fat Alan has left the building. Cheers ta pirate
Bomber Harris
Premiership

Postby porcupine » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:11 pm

Bomber Harris wrote:[ Do you want people to lie on your post?

Not at all!

There has been enough traffic on slagging Martin Canning on the dedicated "The Canning Thread", and the posts I referrred to added nothing to this discussion, other than repetition of what has been said elsewhere many, many times before.

For what it is worth, IMO, Canning has long failed to convince me that he has any real man management skills, or any tactical awareness either. e.g. Long punts on Saturday to tiny forwards playing against taller, more robust defenders. At any other club, he would have been sacked on results before now.

The post from Willie Wastle was far more relevant to the heading of the original post, which was meant to stimulate discussion about whether we ARE, or are not, good enough for the Premier League. That will always be subjective, but there have been some excellent responses so far.

So, keep it on subject, please.
porcupine
Premiership

Postby Admin » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:38 pm

Pruned the nonsense from this thread. Please keep the discussion on topic, thanks.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Euan » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:25 am

We have a decent core squad/first team but don't always play the right tactics/players/formation which lets us down and too many "dud" squad players that historically come in for a 6 month period play one game then go. The latest signing is so fat that his only usefulness to the team would be to park him in front of the goals instead of the proverbial bus! He's obviously just here to try to get fitter on our time/wages.
If we play to our strenghths then we will survive in the top flight, but as we are likely to lose McGovern and ziggy in the summer we will need investment in the team for next season, especially with Rangers and maybe Hibs back.
Euan
Premiership

Postby Bomber Harris » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:17 am

there is ment to be a fans forum coming up when split fixtures are out so I think that's a great question to ask mr Gray if he thinks we're good enough for the premiership. Me personally I think they wouldn't be bothered if we plummeted through the league's like Dunfermline
Bomber Harris
Premiership

Postby redandwhite1874 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:22 am

Bomber Harris wrote:there is ment to be a fans forum coming up when split fixtures are out so I think that's a great question to ask mr Gray if he thinks we're good enough for the premiership. Me personally I think they wouldn't be bothered if we plummeted through the league's like Dunfermline

What are your thoughts on why he bothered to get us up to the top division in the first place? For a second time? And perhaps you can explain what made him become 'not bothered'?
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Postby Bomber Harris » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:06 pm

Mind it's just an opinion here but the way I see it is this season reminds of the last season of Billy Reid in the spl. Club ran out of ideas and the conveyor belt stopped. We went down and it brought through likes of Crawford and Gills who at the end of the season could bring in a nice 6 figure sum for both. Imo that belt has came to a halt again and a few seasons down again could bring on the likes of Boyd, Reilly and a couple others. Why else would we bring in unfit duds instead of giving these young boys a chance.
Bomber Harris
Premiership

Postby redandwhite1874 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:34 pm

Bomber Harris wrote:Mind it's just an opinion here but the way I see it is this season reminds of the last season of Billy Reid in the spl. Club ran out of ideas and the conveyor belt stopped. We went down and it brought through likes of Crawford and Gills who at the end of the season could bring in a nice 6 figure sum for both. Imo that belt has came to a halt again and a few seasons down again could bring on the likes of Boyd, Reilly and a couple others. Why else would we bring in unfit duds instead of giving these young boys a chance.

Interesting, I probably agree with most of that although would add that I think its not so much the belt stopping as perhaps an almost inevitable gap when a group of players (young and old) are good enough to get us up having been formed as a team in the First Division; but it is then really hard to replace these players in the premier league.

However it doesn't in anyway address the matter that is often alleged ie that Les and the board are not bothered. Its that 'opinion' that there is absolute malice or at best recklessness in the boardroom that I struggle to see any evidence for.

Its also worth adding that we are not in the relegation zone and never have been this season - that is not to undermine our vulnerability in the coming games but its a fact that is often ignored.
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Postby Mrsweetleftfoot » Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:42 pm

Its also worth adding that we are not in the relegation zone and never have been this season - that is not to undermine our vulnerability in the coming games but its a fact that is often ignored.[/quote]

Although this is absolutely correct, RandW, I'm sure you would agree that post-September form has been nowhere near good enough.

The difference in style of play is astonishing.......this is my biggest concern.

As I have posted elsewhere, we will probably just be ok this season as we will grind out a couple of 1-0 wins that'll see us safe.

However, it is horrible to watch.....
Mrsweetleftfoot
Championship

Postby redandwhite1874 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:00 pm

Mrsweetleftfoot wrote:Its also worth adding that we are not in the relegation zone and never have been this season - that is not to undermine our vulnerability in the coming games but its a fact that is often ignored.

Although this is absolutely correct, RandW, I'm sure you would agree that post-September form has been nowhere near good enough.

The difference in style of play is astonishing.......this is my biggest concern.

As I have posted elsewhere, we will probably just be ok this season as we will grind out a couple of 1-0 wins that'll see us safe.

However, it is horrible to watch.....[/quote]

Absolutely, that what I was referring to about our 'vulnerability' - form and performance has not been good enough
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Postby redandwhite1874 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:15 pm

Bomber Harris wrote:
redandwhite1874 wrote:
We are still fighting in this division and its a shame too many folk talk like fans but wont get behind the team when it comes down to the crunch times like the next 7 games.

Very good Martin.

Well ? Anything to say at this juncture ?
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Postby redandwhite1874 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:16 pm

H9crx wrote:
redandwhite1874 wrote:
We are still fighting in this division and its a shame too many folk talk like fans but wont get behind the team when it comes down to the crunch times like the next 7 games.

Did les Wright this for you?

Do you have anything to add at this point ?
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Postby H9crx » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:22 pm

Yip

What a sad lonely we man you are trolling about looking at any post that any one has written that you can now prove as wrong!

Your premature ejaculation could be just that. Hold that thought until we are safe!
H9crx
Premiership

Postby redandwhite1874 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:47 pm

I only ever said we are fighting to stay in the division. It was right then and it's right now. Most people are happy why don't you give it a try
:roll:
You are yet again happy to post repeated moans after lies when we are struggling; then get all huffy when we win. FTW :lol:
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Postby Bomber Harris » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:15 am

Ask me again on Sat night when we've pumped killie redandwhite1874.
Bomber Harris
Premiership

Postby porcupine » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:39 pm

As the original instigator of this thread, I am more than happy to see the turnaround in attitude and performance, coupled with win results against our peers. It may have taken longer than most of us wanted (or believed we could do), but if it is our turn to have a purple patch in our last five games, then bring it on.

Next season is next season. Although other long booked committments mean I miss the Killie game on Saturday, right now I will be happy to take the same home win result as on the same week-end, two years ago. Then we won 10-2 :D Any win for Accies on Saturday will be good enough for me.
porcupine
Premiership

Postby redandwhite1874 » Sat May 07, 2016 9:23 pm

Bomber Harris wrote:
redandwhite1874 wrote:Well the thread is headed we are not good enough for the SPFL but the originator then continues that it might be next year before we are relegated. So a bit of a contradiction, but one which is perhaps informed by our form over the last 5 months; we are not in a relegation place and have never been in such a position this season but that is down to August and September only.

First and foremost we need to take care of this season before thinking of next - 5 points is a decent lead on one hand but the bottom 6 fixtures mean it could disappear in a heartbeat. MC has sort of proven he can park the bus but that will not be good enough. MC has a kind of point when he says we are not getting doins, but like yesterday too often teams who look to be a match with us are beating us and our home record is horrendous.

In terms of signings, too many contribute absolutely nothing and are not even good enough as fringe players; but again as is the way with Accies its a bit more complex than that as the same signing policy/process has brought in some good signings. But too many of the inferior kind this season mean we have not used the platform that the early season results gave us.

We will need to punch above our weight to stay in this league and to do that we need players and staff who can do that. The club can be pretty ruthless with players who don't reach the standard and they are going have to do the same with the manager.

Very good Martin.

Martin says 'GIRFUY' :lol:
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Previous

Return to The Accies