Joel Thomas- Dynamo Bucharest!!!

Match day discussion, transfers, and all things Accies

Joel Thomas- Dynamo Bucharest!!!

Postby porcupine » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:48 pm

Read a most interesting article in one of the Sunday papers about Joel Thomas and the Accies. He is now playing with Dynamo Bucharest on a three year contract. :o :o :o

Anyone else see it?
porcupine
Premiership

Re: Joel Thomas- Dynamo Bucharest!!!

Postby Whiskeytown » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:59 am

Yes, it was in the Sunday Herald. He spoke very fondly of Accies and had a great quote about Celtic being hard to beat - except by Hamilton Accies! They were asking for his views on Astra. He married a lass from Kirkcaldy and they have a wee girl who speaks with a Scottish accent. Still a bit mind boggling that Paul Lambert gave us £225,000 for him.
Whiskeytown
Championship

Postby ggr » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:06 pm

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/football/dinamo-bucharests-former-accies-striker-warns-astra-can-do-a-hamilton-on-celtic-in-eu.25752447

Dinamo Bucharest's former Accies striker warns Astra can 'do a Hamilton' on Celtic in Europa League return
Phil Gordon
Sunday 2 November 2014
CELTIC have been given a warning from Romania that their Europa League encounter with Astra Giurgiu on Thursday is far from academic.

The premonitory comes from former Hamilton Academical striker Joel Thomas - now playing for Dinamo Bucharest - who is convinced that the Group D makeweights will be a bigger threat on their own soil than they were at Parkhead.

Astra might be pointless following three straight defeats to Dinamo Zagreb, FC Salzburg and Celtic, but Thomas believes it would be foolish for Ronny Deila's players to write them off in Giurgiu.

The Frenchman says Astra are a far different proposition in their compact 8500 Stadionul Marin Anastasovici, as he knows from going there with Dinamo Bucharest.

"It will be a different story at home,"he insists.

In fact, the 27-year-old, who had three spells at New Douglas Park, thinks Astra are a lot like Accies because they have punched above their weight since quitting their native city of Ploiesti and relocating to Giurgiu, 75 miles away.

"Hamilton is a popular club with the local fans but from a small town," explains Thomas. "It is a smaller club than Astra, but Astra have done very well in the last five years. The president, Ioan Niculae, put in a lot of money and brought in good players even when Astra played in Ploiesti.

"But they were not even the most popular club in Ploiesti, that was Petrolu, who used to be champions. Niculae moved Astra in 2012 to Giurgiu. He is trying to make it like an NBA franchise and rebuild the club elsewhere.

"So that is why Astra only get about 3000-4000 crowds for league games, but it will be full when Celtic go there, because everyone in the town wants to be there on a big European night. That's what happened when they knocked out Lyon in the play-off round.

"People in Romania are disappointed that Astra have not got any points in the Europa League. Astra felt they should have got something in Glasgow. Everyone knows that Celtic are a big club and hard to beat - well, except by Hamilton. But Astra are capable of being a more dangerous team."

Thomas's reference about Alex Neil's team winning at Celtic Park in the Scottish Premiership last month, shows that he's very much in the loop, despite leaving Hamilton in January 2011 to move abroad again.

That is because he met his girlfriend, Jennifer, while living in Glasgow and she moved to Greece, and then Romania in 2012, with Thomas. The couple now have a daughter. "Olivia is almost three and she speaks with a Scottish accent," jokes Thomas.

The Frenchman joined Hamilton in 2008 and earned them £225,000 when Paul Lambert took the striker to Colchester, returning there on loan before signing for Billy Reid again in August 2010.

Thomas has made a career far from the comfort of home. Since leaving Bordeaux in 2005, this is the fifth country he has played in, after Germany (Kaiserslautern), Scotland (Hamilton), England (Colchester) and Greece (Ionikos) before now-bankrupt Turnu Severin took him to Romania in 2012.

"Severin had problems paying wages," said Joel. "I did well on the pitch and scored six goals but the club went bankrupt, which happens a lot in Romania. But I got a move to Dinamo.

"It was easier for me to settle in here because Romanian is closer to the French language and I could understand things. It was more difficult for Jennifer. I met her when I stayed in Glasgow. She comes from Kirkcaldy, but was studying in Glasgow. Now we have a lovely daughter and we are enjoying this adventure.

"When I went to Scotland, not many French players thought about going there. But that did not bother me. I like to be different. I wanted somewhere to play football and experience different life. One day, though, it would be nice to come back and play in Scotland or England. That is a big objective for me."
ggr
Pub League

Postby Accies999 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:56 pm

Well done Joel, one of my all time favourites. Cannae remember who it was against (possibly Hibs) when he came off the bench and scored 2, one being an absolute peach.
Accies999
Seaside Leagues

Postby accies1874 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:28 pm

Accies999 wrote:Well done Joel, one of my all time favourites. Cannae remember who it was against (possibly Hibs) when he came off the bench and scored 2, one being an absolute peach.

Twas indeed. Thrashed them 4 - 1 that day. Very poor player in my opinion but his only 3 league goals in his entire Accies career were all pretty good (the 3rd being against Killie).
accies1874
Premiership

Postby porcupine » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:27 pm

accies1874 wrote:
Accies999 wrote:Well done Joel, one of my all time favourites. Cannae remember who it was against (possibly Hibs) when he came off the bench and scored 2, one being an absolute peach.

Twas indeed. Thrashed them 4 - 1 that day. Very poor player in my opinion but his only 3 league goals in his entire Accies career were all pretty good (the 3rd being against Killie).

Yes, you're both right (and wrong). BOTH the goals against Hibs were stunners. Couldn't believe that Joel Thomas had actually scored a goal for us, but when he scored the second............. I had to ask my mate if I was dreaming :D :D

But Dinamo Bucharest now????? WELL,that IS progress!
porcupine
Premiership

Postby H9crx » Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:31 am

Ronnie always say somthing in him, possibly now a bit older and in a formation that works for himawan confidence he will get goals. Look like kenny D goals goals goals welcome to Accies zip.
H9crx
Premiership

Postby JackJarvisEsquire » Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:51 pm

Free agent :shock:
JackJarvisEsquire
Pub League

Postby Yer Sisters Yer Maw » Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:12 pm

ggr wrote:http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/football/dinamo-bucharests-former-accies-striker-warns-astra-can-do-a-hamilton-on-celtic-in-eu.25752447

"Hamilton is a popular club with the local fans but from a small town," explains Thomas. "It is a smaller club than Astra, but Astra have done very well in the last five years. The president, Ioan Niculae, put in a lot of money and brought in good players even when Astra played in Ploiesti.

"

Well, said Joel, good article apart from the part highlighted. The majority of the Hamilton public could'nt give a flying fuck about our club.
Yer Sisters Yer Maw
Seaside Leagues

Postby burnsy5shoes » Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:24 pm

See Joel Thomas is back playing in Scotland with Raith Rovers. According to Wiki (not 100% accurate)....scored 9 goals since leaving accies in 2011!!!
burnsy5shoes
Pub League

Postby H9crx » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:41 pm

Yip sounds like the type of striker Les loves euro trash with poor goals return.
H9crx
Premiership

Return to The Accies