Disabled Spectators

Match day discussion, transfers, and all things Accies

Disabled Spectators

Postby Working for Cunard » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:46 pm

There was a guy in a wheelchair on Saturday at the ground with his family. He was sitting in front of the seats at Row A. The problem was that his chair obstructed people trying to go along the front. It was OK if they were able-bodied, but a couple of older fans had walking sticks and really struggled. I've been at other grounds where folk in wheelchairs are placed at ground level.

I certainly don't want to have a go at any disabled fans, but I have a few concerns.

The location of the chair causes an obstruction. This is manageable most of the time, but if there was an emergency evacuation, there could be a real problem, both for able-bodied fans and for those in wheelchairs. It's clear that the only exit which wheelchairs can use is the one above the tunnel, but that could result in the wheelchair going against the flow of other fans trying to leave the ground.

Sitting at ground level might not be an option - the view is certainly poorer - but could some of the seats at the tunnel be removed? That would allow wheelchairs to sit back from passing fans, whilst alos giving them much quicker exit access to the tunnel.

Like I say, I'm not having a go at disabled fans, but I think that they could be treated a bit better.
Working for Cunard
Seaside Leagues

Re: Disabled Spectators

Postby Alfie Olek » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:38 pm

The space for away disabled fans is I think at ground level but then there is no lift allowing those requiring access to row a in the spice of life stand. pretty miserable down there with no cover whatsoever. But then even Row a provides no cover just a better view.
Alfie Olek

Postby Willie Wastle » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:11 pm

The truth is our facilities for wheelchair-bound spectators are poor.

Away fans have to sit at ground level, exposed to the weather and with a restricted view. Home fans at least are able to access the main stand - and a decent view - via the lift, and away fans who ask can be accommodated here too. But as the OP points out, they can pose an obstruction and a potential risk if there has to be an emergency evacuation.

Something really ought to be done about it. A few years ago the Scottish Disabled Supporters Association approached the Accies Trust to try to get some action taken, but the feeling was this was too far down the Trust's, and the Club's, list of priorities at the time. If we have bigger crowds now, including more wheelchair users, this may be the time to finally address this.
sic a wife as Willie had, I wadna gie a button for her!
Willie Wastle
Premiership

Postby Working for Cunard » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:52 pm

I knid of feel that it doesn't matter if there's one or a hundred. Anyone who's prepared to watch Accies in a wheelchair shouldn't have to suffer the indignity of fans squeezing past.

I'm going to send a message to the club. I'm totally unaffected by this, but it does make me feel awkward when I can see it happening in front of me.
Working for Cunard
Seaside Leagues

Postby porcupine » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:38 pm

I'll lend some support for this. I noticed the same problem in October and wondered about the safety issue too, with the blockage, and others with walking sticks etc trying to get past.

Is this not a Health & Safety Issue, and will the Club not be required to have a H & S Officer? Has there been, or will there be, the dreaded 'Risk Assessment' carried out, now that this has been highlighted?

Everyone should be able to be accommodated safely, and be able to leave safely in event of an emergency. They DO happen!!

What sayeth the Club here?
porcupine
Premiership

Postby PaulWinters » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:47 am

It's not a lot of fun for disabled away fans either, getting shots just wide of the target fired at them ( more a problem for anyone in the hut during Accies darker years).
PaulWinters
Pub League

Postby Accies999 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:51 pm

Yes got to agree, facilities are quite poor. You wouldn't want to sit in the allocated seats either, exposed to all the elements. The only positive for home supporters is that they can use the lift, after that it all falls apart. I don't imagine it would cost that much to add some sort of sheltered facilities somewhere in the ground. I know it's a totally different level but the facilities at Old Trafford are out of this world. They even have a seperate lounge area with food and tvs available where disabled supporters can sit or stay after the game until the crowds disperse.
Accies999
Seaside Leagues

Return to The Accies