Twitter storm protest

Match day discussion, transfers, and all things Accies

Re: Twitter storm protest

Postby Willie Wastle » Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:25 pm

I don't like seeing these debates getting so polarised, but some of us seem unable to see past their anger. Yummy Fur is a breath of fresh air, with a post full of measured, sensible comments, while it's noticeable that certain posters post more frequently when things are going badly - I assume that's because they've got nothing to say when we're winning rather than they actually enjoy us losing, but sometimes I wonder...

Obviously nobody's happy with the way things are going. I agree with the Board's promote-from-within ethos, but we got lucky that Neil was ready to be promoted, and we haven't had a pool of talent promotion-ready since. It's come too soon for Martin, that's obvious. But is it equally obvious anyone would be better? Finding a better option is a tough challenge.
sic a wife as Willie had, I wadna gie a button for her!
Willie Wastle
Premiership

Postby YeOldeHamiltonian » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:18 am

There are plenty Managers out there with a better than 21% win rate....in fact loads of them.
YeOldeHamiltonian
Premiership

Postby Euan » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:29 am

I know he made a mess of it at St Mirren, but I'd like Ian Murray, former Dumbarton manager to be considered for the job should Martin resign.
He did a good job down there and got one over on Alex Neil, when we lost 4-1 in the penultimate game of 2013/14 to come off the top of the league and allow Dundee automatic promotion.
There were calls for Neil to go (on this forum) after that defeat and his sending off for a headbutt, as he was seen by many as a hotheaded liability. Just goes to show how wrong some people can be!
Euan
Premiership

Postby redandwhite1874 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:39 am

Euan wrote:I know he made a mess of it at St Mirren, but I'd like Ian Murray, former Dumbarton manager to be considered for the job should Martin resign.
He did a good job down there and got one over on Alex Neil, when we lost 4-1 in the penultimate game of 2013/14 to come off the top of the league and allow Dundee automatic promotion.
There were calls for Neil to go (on this forum) after that defeat and his sending off for a headbutt, as he was seen by many as a hotheaded liability. Just goes to show how wrong some people can be!

Not sure about Murray it would certainly not be widely popular I suspect.

PS the fact that we should have won the league that year has now been airbrushed as many have hyper elevated Alex; primarily as a way to have a go at Canning and Grey. Alex's record is fantastic but like many great managers the wee bit of luck or fate or loyalty by a board usually lies in their record somewhere before they achieve success.
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Postby accies1874 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:05 pm

I hated what Neil did at Dumbarton but he saved us from a relegation scrap in 2013 and had us fighting for the league the following season so he had room for an error (I never once called for his head). The calls to sack Neil were ridiculous which was shown by how incredible a manager he went on to be for us. He played exciting football and got us scoring plenty. Canning doesn't have that luxury of deserving time. He's had 43 games which, in my opinion, were 40 too many after his 3 defeats as interim manager.
accies1874
Premiership

Postby redandwhite1874 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:14 pm

accies1874 wrote: He's had 43 games which, in my opinion, were 40 too many after his 3 defeats as interim manager.

As I have said before, can we have any suggested replacement who will come in on the 'we will judge you after 3/4/5 games' criteria ?
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Postby Todd_is_God » Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:21 pm

The Canning situation was unusual in football where a new manager took over a team who were doing well, not one who was struggling.

In 3 games he managed to see us record our worsr defeat of the season, and too something like 12 games to win his first.
Todd_is_God
Seaside Leagues

Postby accies1874 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:22 pm

redandwhite1874 wrote:
accies1874 wrote: He's had 43 games which, in my opinion, were 40 too many after his 3 defeats as interim manager.

As I have said before, can we have any suggested replacement who will come in on the 'we will judge you after 3/4/5 games' criteria ?

I'd like to see McCall come in as I think he's much better at a smaller club like us or Motherwell than his brief spell at a Sevco team that had so many problems. If Canning was the out and out manager and lost his first three games then we wouldn't have known that he wasn't completely up to it's but which interim manager gets the job after 3 defeats with an overall score of 10-2?
accies1874
Premiership

Postby redandwhite1874 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:35 pm

accies1874 wrote:
redandwhite1874 wrote:

I'd like to see McCall come in as I think he's much better at a smaller club like us or Motherwell than his brief spell at a Sevco team that had so many problems. If Canning was the out and out manager and lost his first three games then we wouldn't have known that he wasn't completely up to it's but which interim manager gets the job after 3 defeats with an overall score of 10-2?

Right so its ok to judge an interim manager after 3 games but not a fully appointed one ? I would suggest you don't judge anyone under most circumstances over 4 games. Not sure McCall is fully into bringing thro young players?
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Postby redandwhite1874 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:38 pm

Todd_is_God wrote:The Canning situation was unusual in football where a new manager took over a team who were doing well, not one who was struggling.

In 3 games he managed to see us record our worsr defeat of the season, and too something like 12 games to win his first.

Doing well but losing 2 absolute cornerstones of the coaching/managerial staff and the best player by a country mile; with the main striker reverting tot type and going in a huff. Yes it was a really easy job to keep Accies in almost unprecedented territory with 4 key staff leaving.
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Postby accies1874 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:43 pm

redandwhite1874 wrote:
accies1874 wrote:
redandwhite1874 wrote:

Right so its ok to judge an interim manager after 3 games but not a fully appointed one ? I would suggest you don't judge anyone under most circumstances over 4 games. Not sure McCall is fully into bringing thro young players?

Any manager that loses their first 3 games is hardly going to make fans excited but they still had the option to not appoint Canning after losing their first 3 games. I don't understand why they appointed him after a 100% losing record as caretaker.
accies1874
Premiership

Postby YeOldeHamiltonian » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:41 pm

He should never have got the job after that shambles at Firhill.However,he suited the "Yes Man" criteria,so those results didn't matter.
The time to consolidate us as an established SPL club and they fcuked it up.No wonder,many have no time for them.
YeOldeHamiltonian
Premiership

Postby Hotchie » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:10 pm

On behalf of my fellow directors.
We strongly challenge the widely held view that Martin Canning is mince as our manager.
In addition, the directors of Hamilton Accies are concerned that most fans think our board are ground meat of similar consistency and that collectively we lack the ambition demanded to retain our top flight status.
As sports professionals we are insulted and baffled by this view.
Au contraire. We firmly believe that Martin, our Martin, our manager, has the drive to get us through the 3rd division play-offs at the first opportunity. That’s success by any criteria. (As long as it’s not Annan LOL)
He’s cheap and boosts club books no end by promoting our short term financial aims through flagging up what bargain buys players such as Ali Crawford could be for a decent club. Or any club. With cash and vision!
Few managers and I repeat FEW, would sell the pre-match programme as part of their remit. Yet Martin does this without complaint.This gives him he feels, honest informed dialogue with our knowledgeable fans and allows him to think and rethink his team and tactics right up to kick-off time.
Unfortunately we don’t have a half-time programme on sale at this moment in time, but we are reviewing this.
He has also been known in extremis to prepare 400 litres of Bovril when we are short staffed on the catering side.
So let’s not be churlish about Martin’s abilities as we plummet down through the leagues.
I would ask Martin to represent and defend himself at this forum, but unfortunately he’s chasing a rogue crisp packet floating in void above the Spice stand at this moment in time.
Yours
Uncle Les
Hotchie
Pub League

Postby redandwhite1874 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:40 pm

How is the twitter storm and hill protest going
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Postby YeOldeHamiltonian » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:42 pm

redandwhite1874 wrote:How is the twitter storm and hill protest going

Did you not notice the many regular fans not there.The lack of atmosphere.It sums up our club when that fanny was having a go at our fans on Radio Scotland calling them "not real supporters".

What a way to describe your own fans.Many of them folk who have watched Accies 20-40 years and who were all there during the bad days.Folk who donated to pay the players wages and who fought to save our club.Another low point for relations between the BOD and the fans..Great P.R. move that.It's not just Canning who needs to walk.
YeOldeHamiltonian
Premiership

Postby Alexander the Great » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:55 pm

YeOldeHamiltonian wrote:

Did you not notice the many regular fans not there.The lack of atmosphere.It sums up our club when that fanny was having a go at our fans on Radio Scotland calling them "not real supporters".

What a way to describe your own fans.Many of them folk who have watched Accies 20-40 years and who were all there during the bad days.Folk who donated to pay the players wages and who fought to save our club.Another low point for relations between the BOD and the fans..Great P.R. move that.It's not just Canning who needs to walk.

Who would come in ? Nobody has expressed any interest at all.
daft donnachie is thicker than the lenses on they daft specs he wears !
Alexander the Great
Championship

Postby redandwhite1874 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:31 pm

YeOldeHamiltonian wrote:

Not heard any interview but I don't really have much time for proactive stay aways either. For me it says more about the people rather than the club. That some were perhaps Uber loyal during the worst of times is beyond me.

So this twitter storm then, how did that go
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Postby accies1874 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:38 pm

redandwhite1874 wrote:
YeOldeHamiltonian wrote:

Not heard any interview but I don't really have much time for proactive stay aways either. For me it says more about the people rather than the club. That some were perhaps Uber loyal during the worst of times is beyond me.

So this twitter storm then, how did that go

Many of us that have have been critical of the board/Canning/the players have supported Accies for 10+ years. It's just childish to say that "you aren't a true fan because you don't agree with us". It'd be pathetic to see it posted on here never mind your owner claiming it.
accies1874
Premiership

Postby redandwhite1874 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:48 pm

'Not agreeing with the board' and not going to support the team/club are 2 different things and its looks like Les made comment on the latter?

The difference between agreeing with the board and supporting the team was grasped by people when they continued to attend under previous horrendous regimes.

PS YOH is on another thread talking about people wanting the team to get bad (or worse!) results- perhaps this is who Les is referring to?
Last edited by redandwhite1874 on Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Postby accies1874 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:54 pm

Like you I didn't hear the interview but saw people quote it on FB which gave me the impression that he was more having a pop at those who don't back their ideas but I'm not 100%. I'm fine with people that say that they've stopped going but I just don't think they have any value when discussing what's currently happening on the park.
accies1874
Premiership

PreviousNext

Return to The Accies