All Ticket

Match day discussion, transfers, and all things Accies

All Ticket

Postby DC United » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:31 pm

I didn't realise the Aberdeen was all ticket and turned up about half 7 only to be told I had to queue at the ticket office. 10 minutes later I get in the office to be told the home end is 'sold out'. I therefore went home to watch the game on tv (which was thankfully an option).

Watching the game I could see numerous empty seats in the main stand. Checking today I see the crowd was just over 4k (capacity about 6k?).

Disappointed to miss the game when it appeared there was ample room to get in.

Don't want to be negative about the club given the tremendous season we've had but this situation didn't seem to be well handled.

Just wondering if anyone else had the same problem?
DC United
Pub League

Re: All Ticket

Postby Whiskeytown » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:36 am

I wonder if they didn't print enough tickets for the main stand, maybe thinking there's no way it will come close to a sell out. There were certainly a good couple of hundred empty seats in and around the singing section, especially the end cluster of seats. Stand holds I think about 3300, we must have had around 2700 at least.
Whiskeytown
Championship

Postby Willie Wastle » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:46 am

Plenty of kids who have free season books wouldn't have been there. Mine included (past his bedtime). But the club wouldn't have been able to sell tickets for those seats.

It's interesting that we seem to have gone from dismal attendances to potentially over-reaching our capacity, in the space of a few games. If this pattern is repeated throughout the season, the club may be forced either to review the free season books for kids or to find a way to increase capacity for home fans.

Another sign of Accies' upward success curve.
sic a wife as Willie had, I wadna gie a button for her!
Willie Wastle
Premiership

Postby Alfie Olek » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:23 pm

The club gave out tickets beforehand to various community groups. Not all would have turned up but the club has no way on knowing so presumably had to assume the allocated seats were gone. Hence the empty seats but 'sorry all the tickets have gone'. It was a bit chaotic inside with individuals turning up to find someone sitting in their season ticket seat etc. But far rather have the bigger crowd problems than not.
Alfie Olek

Postby redandwhite1874 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:50 pm

I think the free ticket idea is great but I think a little more planning and thought has to go into it to still allow room for pay at the gate people to turn up, pay and get in. No way the club can 'revoke' the free kids tickets but there must be a way to accommodate people rather than turning them away when the stadium is far from full.
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Postby DC United » Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:08 pm

I hadn't considered all the free kids season tickets. I appreciate the club cannot assume these ticket holders won't turn up, but it does seem ashame that such a scheme is actually detracting from the crowd, rather than boosting it. A victim of our own success, I suppose...

I wasn't the only fan leaving the ticket office disappointed, and say even 100 fans were turned away - the club has passed up about £2000. Hopefully this is looked at before the next home game.
DC United
Pub League

Postby Alfie Olek » Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:36 pm

Just watched the BBC highlights. Easily 3/400 empty seats in the main stand. Somebody overestimated the number who would use their free tickets and underestimated those who would turn up to buy a ticket on the night. Dare i say it but it wouldn’t have happened if Mr. Struthers had been there :oops:
Alfie Olek

Postby southoftheborder » Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:50 pm

Conspiracy theory!

It was Scott that has been holding us back!!!
southoftheborder
Seaside Leagues

Postby simonswimmer » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:01 pm

Opening the mini stand on the morrisons side would go some way to resolving this issue. Maybe the freebie tickets should just be for that stand. Either way, it's a great problem for the club to be faced with, hopefully they can get on top of it before the next home game
simonswimmer
Pub League

Postby Gaspode » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:29 pm

Alfie Olek wrote:Just watched the BBC highlights. Easily 3/400 empty seats in the main stand. Somebody overestimated the number who would use their free tickets and underestimated those who would turn up to buy a ticket on the night. Dare i say it but it wouldn’t have happened if Mr. Struthers had been there :oops:

Has Scott actually left? I was at the stadium all week picking my son up from the football camp and i'm sure i saw him a couple of times still wearing the club tie.
Gaspode
Championship

Return to The Accies