Late goals

Match day discussion, transfers, and all things Accies

Late goals

Postby Red_star » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:52 pm

One thing I enjoy with Alex in charge is that he keeps the team playing right up until the full time whistle. When we were last in the SPL under Billy Reid (and also in his last season in Division 1), we would play for around 65 minutes, then defend for the remainder of the game. If we were winning 1-0 or 2-1, or drawing 0-0 or 1-1, it wouldn't matter as Billy was happy to get anything from the game. The number of points/games we lost due to this was significant.

Under Alex, he keeps the team going and pushing up to the full time whistle. Watching Friday night's game again, you could see in the last five minutes he was telling the players to continue to push up the pitch and go for the third.

Looking at the stats from this season so far, out of 10 league games and 3 cup games, we have scored 6 goals in the last five minutes (plus any time added on):
League game v Thistle - 1-0 down with the equaliser scored in the 86th minute and winner scored 90+2
Cup game v Alloa - 3-1 up and fourth scored in 87th minute
League game v Ross County - 3-0 up and fourth goal scored 90+1
League game v Motherwell - 3-0 up and fourth goal scored 90+1
League game v Aberdeen - 2-0 up and third scored 90th minute

The main priority this season is to survive in the top flight. If we continue to play the way we are just now over the next few months, we can guarantee safety and build on it.

If you like a flutter, put a couple of pounds on Accies scoring in the last 5 minutes of a game.
Red_star
Pub League

Re: Late goals

Postby DC United » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:23 pm

Interesting point. Thinking back, the Thiste result stands out in terms of winning from a position we had no right to.
DC United
Pub League

Re: Late goals

Postby Willie Wastle » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:47 am

Red_star wrote:When we were last in the SPL under Billy Reid (and also in his last season in Division 1), we would play for around 65 minutes, then defend for the remainder of the game. If we were winning 1-0 or 2-1, or drawing 0-0 or 1-1, it wouldn't matter as Billy was happy to get anything from the game. The number of points/games we lost due to this was significant.

I agree with your main point, but I think the part I have quoted is a slightly unfair characterisation of Billy Reid's tactics.

Reid's tenure remains our most successful period in Accies' modern history, including a seventh place finish in the SPL, featuring wins over Aberdeen, Dundee United, Hearts and Hibs along the way. Sir Alex has yet to emulate that.

In the context when Reid took over, we were all happy to take anything from these games. That represented incredible success for us. Neil is now taking us to a new level, and expectations are rising in line. It is no longer just about survival, but about whether we can make the top six. The belief Neil has instilled in our young team is almost beyond, well... belief!
sic a wife as Willie had, I wadna gie a button for her!
Willie Wastle
Premiership

Return to The Accies