Canning, how long does this go on?

Match day discussion, transfers, and all things Accies

Canning, how long does this go on?

Postby Accies73 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:52 am

How long does this go on?
He must have the worst managerial win ratio in the whole of the scottish game. Whats the stats now? Played how many?
Joke appointment.
Accies73
Seaside Leagues

Re: Canning, how long does this go on?

Postby judgeflash » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:19 am

If I remember my count, Canning has had 18 games in charge last season, 2 this season. 3 wins, 11 losses, 6 draws. Also 36 goals conceeded, averaging 2 goals conceeded PER GAME. Those stats *Regardless of circumstances* would be a sacking of 99% of managers in modern football.

taken from one of my posts further down :)
judgeflash
Premiership

Postby southoftheborder » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:16 am

Don't get me wrong, I don't think MC is the right manager.

It's always a risk, giving someone without any experience at this level the job (particularly an ex-player).

It worked with Alex.
It doesn't look as though it's working with MC.

However, we are where we are. All the negativity surrounding MC helps nobody. He is our manager, he will be here at Christmas.

So lets ACCEPT it, and make the best of it. Stop all the negative threads - they help no-one.
southoftheborder
Seaside Leagues

Postby Accies73 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:17 am

Why should we just accept it? If he is in charge until xmas then we will be relegated not long afterwards.

15% win ratio at this rate he is worse than Colin Miller.
Accies73
Seaside Leagues

Postby PrideOfLanarkshire » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:35 am

Canning is a really nice guy but he is not manager material.

I will back him right until he decides to leave (We will not sack him).

P.S if he starts the same team as Saturday with Mackinnon instead of the injured turner then I will start a canning out thread :shock:
PrideOfLanarkshire
Championship

Postby H9crx » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:11 pm

Canning will still be here at Xmas as not enough people are vocal about what is going on.

if everyone was up beat despite the poor results we will never get a new manager.

Keep Canning as player get shot as manager.
H9crx
Premiership

Postby AmanAccie » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:09 pm

Imagine a dog chasing it's own tail.
AmanAccie
Seaside Leagues

Postby glenthedog » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:10 pm

southoftheborder wrote:Don't get me wrong, I don't think MC is the right manager.

It's always a risk, giving someone without any experience at this level the job (particularly an ex-player).

It worked with Alex.
It doesn't look as though it's working with MC.

However, we are where we are. All the negativity surrounding MC helps nobody. He is our manager, he will be here at Christmas.

So lets ACCEPT it, and make the best of it. Stop all the negative threads - they help no-one.

I think the approach that the club have taken in terms of trying to bring through young coaches as well as players, and promote from within the ranks is a sound approach. However, it has to be recognised that this won't always work and in Martin Canning's case the job has probably come far to early for him and the club should have brought in someone with more experience for a couple of years as manager with MC (and possibly Dougie Imrie) as an assistant.

In terms of asking fans to just 'accept it' - this is neither feasible or realistic. The club has to realise and acknowledge that it's a business, and as such it's asking the paying fan (in reality, customer) £350 for a season ticket or £22 at the gate. If you tally this up with fans buying programmes, food and merchandise the cost could realistically escalate to £500+ over the course of a season.

Taking this into account, along with the loyalty and (for the want of a better word) 'love' that most fans have for their club, people are more than justified in voicing their opinion, whatever that opinion may be. Under no circumstances should any point of view be suppressed (negative or positive), as trying enforce one or the other is actually going to help 'no-one'.

I would suspect that Martin Canning will be given a few months, and at that point the situation evaluated. If the club is serious about the business of football, they will make a call at this point and if it happens to be that MC was the wrong choice then they should be big enough to come out and admit it (they would also need to shoulder the blame for pushing the job at MC to early).
glenthedog
Pub League

Postby DC United » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:51 pm

It's ashame that this move by the club has seemingly cost us as Martin as a player as well. With his new responsibilities he doesn't seem keen on selecting himself.
DC United
Pub League

Postby silverfox » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:37 pm

[quote][quote="glenthedog"]

Taking this into account, along with the loyalty and (for the want of a better word) 'love' that most fans have for their club, people are more than justified in voicing their opinion, whatever that opinion may be. Under no circumstances should any point of view be suppressed (negative or positive), as trying enforce one or the other is actually going to help 'no-one'.

Completely agree, this is a football message board which caters for knee jerk reactions to philosophical discourses, and all points in between -No censorship of views under the cover of perceived" negative comments"
silverfox
Seaside Leagues

Postby YeOldeHamiltonian » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:45 pm

Last season,we were reasonably resolute defence wise before Norwich came calling.A defender as a Manager should-if anything-have brought a more resolute back line.

Perhaps we are missing Canning the player as we have two left footed central defenders and a very one footed left back.
YeOldeHamiltonian
Premiership

Postby Deadparrot » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:16 pm

Perhaps Canning is not the right manager, but then who is the right man for this job who is also cheap and available and understands the club's ethos? There haven't been too many suggestions so far, just vitriol directed at Canning.

I don't claim to have the answer either but perhaps it is not the suppression of views that is the issue here, but the overwhelmingly continuous and totally needless constant vehemence against keeping Canning as manager that has dominated this message board for too many months.

I, for one, know a couple of people who have been put off following this message board due to the pointlessness of the repeated calls for Canning's job over the past 6 months or so. Perhaps we need more of a positive constructive criticism thread instead?

I will say though that Dundee seem to have found the answer and are playing some attractive football at the moment with some good low-budget signings... maybe we can look to them for guidelines?
Deadparrot
Pub League

Postby H9crx » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:44 pm

WHAT!!'

Deadparrot wrote:Perhaps Canning is not the right manager, but then who is the right man for this job who is also cheap and available and understands the club's ethos? There haven't been too many suggestions so far, just vitriol directed at Canning.

I don't claim to have the answer either but perhaps it is not the suppression of views that is the issue here, but the overwhelmingly continuous and totally needless constant vehemence against keeping Canning as manager that has dominated this message board for too many months.

I, for one, know a couple of people who have been put off following this message board due to the pointlessness of the repeated calls for Canning's job over the past 6 months or so. Perhaps we need more of a positive constructive criticism thread instead?

I will say though that Dundee seem to have found the answer and are playing some attractive football at the moment with some good low-budget signings... maybe we can look to them for guidelines?

WHAT!!!!! Dundee you say ', I suggest you read the other posts not about Canning and you might see that this has started due to Cannings cheep ass appointment they cemented in the cheep ass offer for Loy who is the very player you say we should be looking at! The rage I have is at the BOD for the canning appointment and having no ambition other than down up down up down up to sell on young players. BTW 2015/16 is a Down year.
H9crx
Premiership

Postby redandwhite1874 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:53 pm

H9crx wrote:WHAT!!'

Deadparrot wrote:Perhaps Canning is not the right manager, but then who is the right man for this job who is also cheap and available and understands the club's ethos? There haven't been too many suggestions so far, just vitriol directed at Canning.

WHAT!!!!! Dundee you say ', I suggest you read the other posts not about Canning and you might see that this has started due to Cannings cheep ass appointment they cemented in the cheep ass offer for Loy who is the very player you say we should be looking at! The rage I have is at the BOD for the canning appointment and having no ambition other than down up down up down up to sell on young players. BTW 2015/16 is a Down year.

Chirpy as ever. 'Needless constant vehemence' personified. 15/16 might be a down year, but some of us will watch and support the team through whatever, and not sitting making a conclusive analysis of players and managers on paper and spewing doom and gloom whenever possible.
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Postby H9crx » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:25 pm

When I see/here a up turn on the BOD'S attitude and a better style of play. You will see me as happy as a dog with two tails.

As we have debated in depth I've not seen any thing to be happy with since Jan :(
H9crx
Premiership

Postby redandwhite1874 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:30 pm

H9crx wrote:When I see/here a up turn on the BOD'S attitude and a better style of play. You will see me as happy as a dog with two tails.

As we have debated in depth I've not seen any thing to be happy with since Jan :(

Buy another bit of paper perhaps?

Interesting, because I thought your self imposed absence was a result of some pre-text about being annoyed by the board's attitude and decisions. I didn't realise it was partly a specific choice based on the current/recent team not meeting the acceptable aesthetic standards of other Accies teams.

A pub team followed by part time supporters? To borrow your direct talking approach.
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Postby AmanAccie » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:36 pm

Loy had made his mind up he was going to Dundee before we made any offer, which was an undisclosed offer anyway. I remember watching it on twitter and Falkirk upping the price everytime Accies made a bid. It was probably 100,000 we offered because straight away they bumped it up to 120,000 and then 20 mins later said that he will be getting kept to help with the playoffs. So who knows what we ended up offering but it soon became clear he was only ever going to Dundee and the wage package that they can offer. We can't compete when it comes to wages hence why the only option is to take a chance on unknowns and hope that it works out. The wage package is what attracts a player not how much you buy them for. We really are small potatoes when it comes to that.
AmanAccie
Seaside Leagues

Postby H9crx » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:55 pm

As you are awair my self and others will not be back to NDP until the BOD put this situation right.
H9crx
Premiership

Postby AmanAccie » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:13 pm

The club are never going to spunk millions of £s on players wages. They don't have it to splash out regardless at least not any that they can sustain for any length of time. Is it really worth gambling our assets on a couple of good players for a couple of seasons in the hope that they might get us into Europe or a cup final. What if they didn't achieve either and the cash was gone? We really would be subjected to a shitefest! The BOD do what they must to sustain the club. The fanbase is the biggest factor and for us it always has been the case.
AmanAccie
Seaside Leagues

Postby redandwhite1874 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:22 pm

H9crx wrote:As you are awair my self and others will not be back to NDP until the BOD put this situation right.

Right so its not about on the pitch performances or quality then ? or is it ?

What is the specific criteria for you to return? Like post match comments after a decent result, your comments on this have been absent.
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Next

Return to The Accies