Can the Fans Really Make a Difference

Match day discussion, transfers, and all things Accies

Can the Fans Really Make a Difference

Postby Dr Slippy » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:03 pm

Like many on here I was on a real downer leaving St Mirren Park, and was finding it hard to imagine when things will get better. It got me thinking if the fans can really make a difference when the chips are down.

Everything is negative at the moment. Fans are not looking forward to games, and it's obvious the players are not enjoying their football the way they were a few weeks ago.i've been following Accies long enough to know that when things are going well the bubble will eventually burst, and when things are dire the tide will eventually turn. It always does, but the question is, will things turn next game, next month, next season, or will it take a couple of seasons as it did after the last serious dip.

I think it is evident on the board that there is a lot of goodwill for Martin, but people are running out of patience. I also believe that given the choice we would all like things to turn with Martin still in charge, rather than by having to replace him.

What needs to happen to give Martin a fighting chance, is to blast away all the negativity and for the fans to help Martin and the players rebuild their shattered confidence. Maybe it's good that there is no match this weekend as that will give the squad time to regroup and sort stuff out.

However where the fans come in, is to make the environment and atmosphere at the Ross County game as positive as possible. Surprise the players and coaching staff with a really vocal encouraging welcome. If a player makes an early mistake, let the fans pick him up, and give Martin the best reception that he has ever had. Cheer the subs warming up and get behind the team like never before. Alex Neil convinced the players that we had a real chance in the 2nd leg against Hibs, and we need to recreate the spirit of Easter Roaf and lift the players. BELIEVE !!

I genuinely believe that 1 win could give everyone the confidence to salvage a positive end to the season. We all have our opinions on what mistakes have been made, but if we put them to one side and really get behind Martin and the team against Ross County I believe we can help the players shift the momentum and finish the season strongly. I don't want to get into who should or should not be playing in the match, I just would like everyone to believe and get behind whoever is playing in the real hoops.

This is not meant as an exercise in "happy clapping" , just a rallying call for the fans to repay a team that have given us immense pleasure during the last 12 months.

BELIEVE !!!!!
Dr Slippy
Seaside Leagues

Re: Can the Fans Really Make a Difference

Postby silverfox » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:37 pm

I think in general Accies fans try to get behind the team, even when they aren't playing well, but against St Mirren they were simply responding to what has to have been one of the worst displays since Billy Reid's days.

I believe Accies fans have been more than fair to Martin and to infer, that somehow, it's the fans negative attitudes that are affecting the players confidence and causing these poor displays is rather simplistic and a wee bit naive
Last edited by silverfox on Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
silverfox
Seaside Leagues

Postby Chase Outlaw » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:37 pm

Thats ST Johnstone level on points with a game in hand and we do not look like scoring anytime soon.BELIEVE.
Chase Outlaw
Seaside Leagues

Postby AmanAccie » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:27 pm

The division in the stand at the Aberdeen game was horrible. Sure the doom and gloomers in section A have a point but the 'happy clappers' thing is testament to how negative the club has become as a whole. I always sit in section A as I like the noise but recently it's become a bit of a buzz kill. Time for unity. Get off their backs and get behind them. We might do a Ross County and win a couple. Some folk possibly glory in the mire as it gives them an outlet, a way of releasing the anger. It's not helping regardless.
AmanAccie
Seaside Leagues

Postby H9crx » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:33 pm

AmanAccie wrote:The division in the stand at the Aberdeen game was horrible. Sure the doom and gloomers in section A have a point but the 'happy clappers' thing is testament to how negative the club has become as a whole. I always sit in section A as I like the noise but recently it's become a bit of a buzz kill. Time for unity. Get off their backs and get behind them. We might do a Ross County and win a couple. Some folk possibly glory in the mire as it gives them an outlet, a way of releasing the anger. It's not helping regardless.

Ross C has had an upturn as they have brought good players during the Jan window We have not! REAP WHAT YOU SOW!
H9crx
Premiership

Postby Alexander the Great » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:51 pm

am sure all the fans will be behind the team at county game ( even section a ), but anything less than a win and the board have to take action or after the first half of the season, it will feel like a waste of time after the position we were in.
daft donnachie is thicker than the lenses on they daft specs he wears !
Alexander the Great
Championship

Postby PrideOfLanarkshire » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:35 pm

Alexander the Great wrote:am sure all the fans will be behind the team at county game ( even section a ), but anything less than a win and the board have to take action or after the first half of the season, it will feel like a waste of time after the position we were in.

Section A are always behind the team, from Dingwall to Dumfries.

I thought we where right behind the team Vs St Mirren, songs for Martin Canning etc
PrideOfLanarkshire
Championship

Postby Alfie Olek » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:52 pm

I see from the Accies twitter feed that the first team are basing themselves at the FA’s national training centre St George for the next 5 days. Don’t know if this has been planned for some time or recently arranged but a good idea to get away from NDP and try and bond the squad together before the Ross County game. If I were AcciesI would be using the services of a sports psychologist to try and get some self belief back in the players.
Alfie Olek

Postby Accies4ever » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:50 pm

Anything that brings the team together as a unit, has to be of benefit.

However the underlying elements of players and management in disarray has to be addressed first.
We need the players all fighting for the common good and the management clear on what the objectives are as well as the tactical knowledge to do that.

We have just over a week to sort out the problems, otherwise our season will go from bad to worse.

If we can't take something from the Ross Co game then effectively our season is over and we will slip into the bottom 6 and head down the table.

Fans feelings are a reflection of what they are witnessing on the park and to a degree we can make a difference, but to what degree, is debatable. I would say only minimal.

To somehow think that if we collectively cross our fingers and believe, that suddenly all will be good again, is naive in the extreme.

Only the management and players can correct the plight we currently find ourselves in and only they can get us out of this in the short term.

Whatever's happened over the last 2 months and for whatever reasons, the board is where fans should be directing their focus upon.
It's the board's decisions since the New year and their in-action when we lost key players and Alex that has put us where we now are. The board need to make the correct decisions now to ensure that next season isn't as disastrous as the last 2 months have been.
Question is, what are they (the board) going to do about it?
Accies4ever
Championship

Postby AmanAccie » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:58 pm

PrideOfLanarkshire wrote:
Alexander the Great wrote:am sure all the fans will be behind the team at county game ( even section a ), but anything less than a win and the board have to take action or after the first half of the season, it will feel like a waste of time after the position we were in.

I thought we where right behind the team Vs St Mirren, songs for Martin Canning etc
Sniping at other fans for supporting the team, booing, slamming seats when an attack breaks down or comes to nothing is not supporting the team. Not as bad as the adult sitting a few rows behind me slagging off Scotland for the entire time he was on with a tirade of language that was a disgrace for a player that has done so much for us and always gives his all. Sitting with 3 red faced kids. The Aberdeen game was the last I've been to and to be honest I went to Wales to have a breather cos I didn't want to sit in amongst cretins like that in Paisley.
AmanAccie
Seaside Leagues

Postby glasgow accie » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:15 pm

You are very quick to slam folk for the happy clapper thing ( which if you bring it right down to its basic form , is just name calling ) , but then you are calling people doom and gloomers and cretins...... :roll:

Pot and kettle .
When Saturday comes...WE ARE HAMILTON........136
glasgow accie
Championship

Postby Park Materson » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:26 pm

I love cretins in my soup.
Especially the pea and ham on offer at Dobbies garden centre.
Park Materson
Seaside Leagues

Postby glasgow accie » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:27 pm

Would that be crispy cretins.......
When Saturday comes...WE ARE HAMILTON........136
glasgow accie
Championship

Postby Alexander the Great » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:26 pm

AmanAccie wrote:

Sniping at other fans for supporting the team, booing, slamming seats when an attack breaks down or comes to nothing is not supporting the team. Not as bad as the adult sitting a few rows behind me slagging off Scotland for the entire time he was on with a tirade of language that was a disgrace for a player that has done so much for us and always gives his all. Sitting with 3 red faced kids. The Aberdeen game was the last I've been to and to be honest I went to Wales to have a breather cos I didn't want to sit in amongst cretins like that in Paisley.

yes and the abuse that has been directed to alex neil, Frankie mcavoy and tony andreu for moving to better themselves, terrible.
daft donnachie is thicker than the lenses on they daft specs he wears !
Alexander the Great
Championship

Postby Whiskeytown » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:36 pm

The "if you hate the happy clappers, clap your hands" song against Aberdeen was at once pathetic and hilarious! I bet they were all fair chuffed with themselves.
Whiskeytown
Championship

Postby accies1874 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:00 pm

Plenty of folk on here are very quick to have a go at Section A despite the fact the support given is magic. Suppose we've just gone up and down the country to have a dig at the happy clappers, yeah?
accies1874
Premiership

Postby YeOldeHamiltonian » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:08 am

If it wasn't for Section A there would be NO atmosphere.If that is what you want,so be it.Accies have always been a club with a "singing support" even during the bad years.

Plenty clubs much bigger than Accies have NO atmosphere at home games.
YeOldeHamiltonian
Premiership

Postby AmanAccie » Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:35 am

I don't consider myself to fall under any category other than I'm an Accies fan and supporter. I get pissed off at times and have been known to utter expletives out loud but I never ever shout abuse at any of our players, officials or fans. Like I said before I prefer to sit in section A for the noise and atmosphere, but recently it has been deeply depressing. Me calling folk doom and gloomers or happy clappers are terms that are being banded about. As for the cretins lol well there are always going to be the odd 1 or 2 no matter what's happening on the park. I just don't like the division that exists in our stand. There's too few of us as it is, would be fantastic if we could all sing and create an atmosphere to get the players passionate about playing. Perhaps I'm just an old fool but I don't see how any of the negativity in the stand can change anything on the park.
AmanAccie
Seaside Leagues

Postby PrideOfLanarkshire » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:49 am

AmanAccie wrote:

Snipping at other fans? Sorry but we pay are money and are entitled to do what we want.
PrideOfLanarkshire
Championship

Postby PrideOfLanarkshire » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:51 am

YeOldeHamiltonian wrote:If it wasn't for Section A there would be NO atmosphere.If that is what you want,so be it.Accies have always been a club with a "singing support" even during the bad years.

Plenty clubs much bigger than Accies have NO atmosphere at home games.

haha some of these other fans don't even clap the players off etc and they have a go at us for not showing support, funny that.
PrideOfLanarkshire
Championship

Next

Return to The Accies