Would a new manager boost chances of winning playoffs?(Poll)

Match day discussion, transfers, and all things Accies

Should John Rankin be replaced as manager?

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes : 15

Would a new manager boost chances of winning playoffs?(Poll)

Postby Davie Hogg » Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:48 pm

We have some good players and the team is underachieving. I would say that is the fault of the manager. I feel that we have lost momentum under John Rankin and that we really need to replace him to build up momentum for the playoffs.
Is it really worth the risk of keeping him and we fail to win promotion? That would cost the club a fortune. We really need to get promotion.
Last edited by Davie Hogg on Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Davie Hogg
Seaside Leagues

Re: Would a new manager boost chances of winning playoffs?

Postby accies1874 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:51 pm

Our performances have regressed badly after a strong start to the season, and we need the fans, players and staff to be together going into the play-offs which doesn't look like happening under Rankin, especially as we haven't seen much in his managerial career to suggest that he's capable of turning things around over a sustained period of time.
I think can lift a group of players for 'one-off' games (examples: winning the cup, turning it around v Alloa, a good second leg performance v Airdrie and playing well against Raith Rovers this season before Kilday's red card) which is why I always felt this season that he could get us up through the play-offs, but that's a bit of a gamble when you consider that we didn't even win two of the ties I mentioned. There are also question marks over his ability to see games out in a controlled way which could be key in a play-off game.
accies1874
Premiership

Postby smc4761 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:46 pm

As long as rankin is in charge we will be destined for another season in league 1.

He has a decent squad of players but seems to be unable to motivate them to play games for a full 90 minutes, apart from maybe a couple of games this season. He is tactilly naive, and how many games has he lost from a winning position, late in a game, not just this season. As Accies 1874 indicates above we have seen nothing in his skill set that suggests he can turn things around.

I called it a few weeks ago and said we would not win league, and I stand by that. We will be in play offs, but sadly Rankin simply does not have the skills or motivation for this group of players. Lose or at best draw at Falkirk this weekend and he should go. This will give new manager a chance to work with players and build momentum going into play offs, which will give us a fighting chance of going up
smc4761
Premiership

Postby StewartP » Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:30 pm

Agree with everything said this far.

I don’t see us getting through play offs with Rankin in charge. Don’t like to see anyone lose their job but too many games lost from winning positions.
StewartP
Pub League

Postby Davie Hogg » Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:38 pm

We have good players, the board did well getting in the managers targets but it is clear that Rankin is out of his depth and is wasting the goodwill from the fans. 3-0 after 30 mins must surely show the board that Rankin is not going to get the club promoted and he going to cost them money.

He must go now!
Davie Hogg
Seaside Leagues

Postby StewartP » Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:18 pm

Wasn’t there but a disastrous start today. Let’s not kid ourselves though, 3-2 shouldn’t paper over the fact our manager may be a coach and nice guy but I don’t think he’s the man to get us through the play offs.
StewartP
Pub League

Postby monkeybones » Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:00 pm

He is NOT the man to get us the through the play-offs.

May have been good at football, but he is not a first team manager. It’s that simple.
monkeybones
Seaside Leagues

Postby PrideOfLanarkshire » Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:53 pm

I fear a stubborn board will persist with Rankin even if we fail in the play-offs, the club supremos' linkedin posts are a concern.
PrideOfLanarkshire
Championship

Postby Davie Hogg » Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:58 pm

I may have been optimistic in assuming we would be in the playoffs. I don't understand why Rankin is still manager. He's going to cost the owners a fortune if we don't go up. If they don't sack him then they will be to blame. Sack him now and we have a chance of promotion via play offs. Rankin is undoing all the good work Seref & Gerry did by backing him in the transfer market and getting the fans onside after McGowan sold up.
Davie Hogg
Seaside Leagues

Postby Theaccie1 » Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:52 am

The team and fans desperately need new ideas and a renewed belief instilled in them.
As it stands this will not be coming from the current manager.
I believe he's more than had his opportunity this season to make up for last season (with the exception of the cup).
Everyone was happy with the squad assembled but we've just not got the best out of them, or not used it fully for various reasons.
I think he will be in charge to the last game this season, that's only at risk if we are in danger of dropping out the top 4.
It's likely getting close to the point where a new manager won't be able to save it, especially with Kyle's unfortunate injury leaving us decidedly weaker in midfield.
I've personally resigned myself to another season in this league - just being realistic based on what I'm seeing rather than being negative.
Hopefully we will have a new manager in place at this point.

Wishing Kyle a full recovery, I hope he switches off from football and takes all the time he needs to heal.
Theaccie1
Pub League

Postby Davie Hogg » Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:30 pm

I fear part-time football next season
Davie Hogg
Seaside Leagues

Postby AccieDownUnder » Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:57 pm

Attendances will drop like a stone now. Sub 700 a real possibility and I can’t see how our current set up can be sustained without heavy investment. These play offs could decide our future trajectory and PT football may not be a million miles away. Seref needs to do the right thing and relieve both Strain and Rankin from their duties. Neither have the required competence for their current role at the club.
AccieDownUnder
Seaside Leagues

Postby Red and white hoops » Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:42 pm

We were told at the last forum in December that John Rankin had been meeting his kpi’s set up to that point. We were told that kpi was 20 points per quarter therefore 80 points come the season end. We currently sit on 49 points. We have 10 games left, a maximum of 30 points available. So, even if we were to miraculously win every game from now it is impossible for him to meet the kpi set out. Just how faraway from 80 points we finish remain to be seen.
Red and white hoops
Championship

Postby YeOldeHamiltonian » Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:25 pm

We all know what needs to be done here and the stubborn refusal to do the correct thing may well have repercussions for the next few years as we will be stuck in this hellhole.

Home crowds of 5-600 incoming and the majority of that will be Season Book holders, so no real income incoming apart from a Falkirk support in full gloating mode.

The aforementioned lack of income from declining attendances must surely match a Pay Off for “Hawdit and Doddit” as their contracts run out in the summer anyway.

I have been critical of our previous Managers but none of them received the backing Redrotten Rankin has received and all of them would be doing a better job with the resources he has at his disposal.

Add in his reluctance to play youth:we regularly did so in the top tier and it is P45 time.

Finally by refusing to do the decent thing,Serif will be perceived as no different to his predecessors.
YeOldeHamiltonian
Premiership

Postby Beckford » Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:32 pm

He is currently on the radio doing co-coms for the Edinburgh Derby. If you were failing missreably in your full time job, would you seriously have the audacity to take on a side hussle? (as the cool kids call it)
Beckford
Seaside Leagues

Postby porcupine » Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:51 am

Beckford wrote:He is currently on the radio doing co-coms for the Edinburgh Derby. If you were failing missreably in your full time job, would you seriously have the audacity to take on a side hussle? (as the cool kids call it)

As Victor Meldrew said......."I don't believe it!".

Reason? Looking for a new career path after this one ends in ignominy?
porcupine
Premiership

Postby Davie Hogg » Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:54 pm

Beckford wrote:He is currently on the radio doing co-coms for the Edinburgh Derby. If you were failing missreably in your full time job, would you seriously have the audacity to take on a side hussle? (as the cool kids call it)

Did Hearts & Hibs players have a good week at training?
Davie Hogg
Seaside Leagues

Return to The Accies