Queen of the South .V. Accies - Sat, Feb 3rd

Match day discussion, transfers, and all things Accies

Re: Queen of the South .V. Accies - Sat, Feb 4th

Postby AccieDownUnder » Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:48 am

We’re at such a critical part of the season over the next two weeks. Agendas need to be dropped for that time and we need to give the management team and players our full backing. Come through it with 6 points and it’s game on.
AccieDownUnder
Seaside Leagues

Postby Stevie Clarke » Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:12 pm

It was the same at the first game down there when the scores were level for much of the game, and that was when we were on the same points as Falkirk. The players disappeared quickly at the end of that one too and some of the fans complained that the players didn't acknowledge them! One guy, his voice sounds like a constant gargle, really was a disgrace. The boos at half time were a joke. Noticed Tumilty having a stare. Mind you, I remember fans giving the players disgusting abuse down there in the old Cow Shed in 1988 when we were top of the league. The club secretary of the time made a big thing about it in the following week's programme, and bans were mentioned though never happened.
Stevie Clarke
Premiership

Postby YeOldeHamiltonian » Mon Feb 05, 2024 5:22 pm

AccieDownUnder wrote:We’re at such a critical part of the season over the next two weeks. Agendas need to be dropped for that time and we need to give the management team and players our full backing. Come through it with 6 points and it’s game on.

This 100% as we have a tough run of fixtures which are all winnable.

Need to get the job done quickly on Saturday and then get EVERYONE to Falkirk as it will be last chance saloon as defeat and League is finally over.
YeOldeHamiltonian
Premiership

Postby porcupine » Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:19 pm

The Club could, of course, take action on Saturday, if the same individuals appear and produce the same unwarranted vitriol. Time for the BoM to investigate??

Totally agree that 100% favourable backing is needed.
porcupine
Premiership

Postby OnlyHamilton » Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:23 pm

porcupine wrote:The Club could, of course, take action on Saturday, if the same individuals appear and produce the same unwarranted vitriol. Time for the BoM to investigate??

Totally agree that 100% favourable backing is needed.

Sorry Porcupine I am really lost with what “unwarranted vitriol” you are going on about from Saturday?? Apart from a couple IMO some unwarranted boos at half time from several fans due to the poor first half performance there was most certainly not any abuse and certainly nothing warranting being investigated??? Have you maybe landed on the wrong forum and are meaning to be talking about the Falkirk idiots from Saturday? All I heard was a group attempting to get behind the players for most of the game whilst struggling to get most fans to join in.
OnlyHamilton
Pub League

Postby Dr Slippy » Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:06 pm

Porcupine was not mistaken when referring to the abuse from the usual suspects who think they “support” the team.
I first raised the subject on my earlier post and it has been backed up by others.
Some people think because they pay to get into matches it gives them the right to abuse who ever they want, be that our own players or coaching staff. It doesn’t.
You have the right to attend or not attend even voice frustration, but the same individuals cross the line between acceptable and unacceptable, and others are in complete denial. I would suggest that you speak to a couple of our senior players and ask how they perceive the “support” from these individuals and whether it inspires or demotivates. I think we all know what the answer will be.

As I said in my previous post these players are the ones who will determine our fate at the end of the season, and although we are far from perfect we are still in the running for promotion. If we fail to go up then by all means come back at the end of the season and say you were right all along and the manager and players aren’t good enough.
In the meantime encourage and support the team even when they are struggling, or bugger off and give the rest of us a break.
Dr Slippy
Seaside Leagues

Postby OnlyHamilton » Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:44 pm

By abuse could you confirm what this was as I honestly didn’t hear any “abuse”. Fans have every right to vent their frustrations and I did hear frustrated shouts which have obviously came from our recent dip in form. I think most fans know the players are more than capable and that’s why they get frustrated and show this however to say “abuse” I think is a bit far fetche

Fans do get behind the team for the most part but equally they should be allowed to vent frustration, no point in just accepting mediocrity, as long as it doesn’t cross the mark which as mentioned I don’t think it did. Welcome if you could share some light otherwise if you think that is abuse I would hate to hear your take on some of the other teams we’ve had to endure at NDP and afar.

On the note about senior players, you seem very quick to judge some fans who clearly do try and get behind the team vocally you can’t say that isn’t the case on the positive front despite just constantly mentioning “abuse” I’m sure the players would rather some form of vocal support behind them then enduring 0 noise coming from the stands which I’m sure is extremely motivating…

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but for you to come on here and tell people who is a supporter and who isn’t does reek of entitlement, I’m sure these fans would be happy enough to explain there love for the club regardless of how you may perceive that they show it.
OnlyHamilton
Pub League

Postby porcupine » Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:06 pm

Thanks, Dr Slippy, for the results of your diagnosis of my apparent loss of memory and sight last Saturday! Your confirmation of events at Palmerston is welcomed.

OnlyHamilton, with just 7/8 posts on this forum. seems to accept a totally different standard of how to show 'Love for the team'.

Let's see what happens when we're Away to Stirling.
porcupine
Premiership

Postby Dr Slippy » Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:22 pm

As someone who’s been to over 1500 first team matches I believe I am entitled to express an opinion as to what I and many other believe is acceptable and unacceptable. Whether you agree or not is up to you.
With regard to abuse - as I said I suggest you speak to those on the rough end of some of the shouts and ask them how they perceive it and whether it inspires them to play better.
Unfortunately we have never had a particularly vocal support who can lift the team during adversity, but we have an element who think because they sing when things are going well they are entitled to spout what they want when it’s not.
I have got to know the families of a number of our younger players over the years, and they certainly know the meaning of abuse when it comes at their kids. It’s tough enough coming from the opposing fans, it is not acceptable in my book coming from
Dr Slippy
Seaside Leagues

Postby Dr Slippy » Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:28 pm

their own “supporters”
Dr Slippy
Seaside Leagues

Postby OnlyHamilton » Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:11 pm

porcupine wrote:Thanks, Dr Slippy, for the results of your diagnosis of my apparent loss of memory and sight last Saturday! Your confirmation of events at Palmerston is welcomed.

OnlyHamilton, with just 7/8 posts on this forum. seems to accept a totally different standard of how to show 'Love for the team'.

Let's see what happens when we're Away to Stirling.

The 7/8 posts is due to forgetting my old login and password, I don’t condone abuse nor the way people show it if it’s in a negative but I’m sure you’ll find my love and dedication for the club is just as much as yourself, regardless of the amount of posts I’ve had on a limited activity forum:)

I don’t condone abuse in any shape or form nor do I want to be in an arguement with fellow fans I’m just giving my own opinion of how I don’t think there was any abuse on Saturday, especially to the degree that’s being mentioned here.

With regards to speak with those one the end of that, I do that on a very regular basis in order to help provide engagement and stuff for the loyal club fans to be able to interact with, hope that helps.

Let’s see what happens when we’re at Stirling porcupine? As mentioned I’m not looking for an arguement but your attempt to make me feel like an insignificant “supporter” when you don’t even know who I am or the amount of games I attend is just bizzare, for the record I will be at Stirling as I am every single home and away game.
OnlyHamilton
Pub League

Postby Dr Slippy » Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:31 pm

If you engage with players on a regular basis, then I would love to know what they were thinking of the “support” they were getting from certain individuals in the first half.
I don’t think I’m a better supporter than anyone else, but my definition of what is unacceptable and what is acceptable is way out of line with yours.
It’s amazing how some “supporters” have selective hearing and are in denial of some of the less savoury stuff that comes from the stands when it comes from our own side.
How different people should express “love and dedication” in football and life in general is open to debate, but if you think it’s being Jekyll & Hyde and screaming obscenities one minute, and adulation the next minute then you must have some unhealthy relationships.
Dr Slippy
Seaside Leagues

Postby OnlyHamilton » Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:50 pm

Dr Slippy wrote:If you engage with players on a regular basis, then I would love to know what they were thinking of the “support” they were getting from certain individuals in the first half.
I don’t think I’m a better supporter than anyone else, but my definition of what is unacceptable and what is acceptable is way out of line with yours.
It’s amazing how some “supporters” have selective hearing and are in denial of some of the less savoury stuff that comes from the stands when it comes from our own side.
How different people should express “love and dedication” in football and life in general is open to debate, but if you think it’s being Jekyll & Hyde and screaming obscenities one minute, and adulation the next minute then you must have some unhealthy relationships.

We will agree to disagree, - as mentioned i didnt hear any of these obscenities hence why i was questioning what they were (Still not thing been said)? you claiming my definition of what is acceptable and what isnt is wrong - i have clearly stated i dont agree with abuse, i have had to deal with my fair share, simply didnt hear to the level of abuse in which is being claimed there was on saturday. Once again bringing personal stuff into it by mentioning i must have unhealthy relationships? I would love introduce myself and to have a conversation with yourself so you could explain the wrong doings from saturday and i would happily support in emsuring us as a support are all behind the players where we can be - then you might change your mind from all the things your throwing out there about a person you havent event met.
OnlyHamilton
Pub League

Postby Billybamz » Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:30 pm

As i said earlier ,it was only 2 or 3 ,that was shouting abuse at our manager n players ,fair enough if you think thats ok ,its a funny way to support our team,but then they dont like it back ,when other Accies get fed up with there abuse towards our team ,n then they start shouting abuse at Accies fans as well ,,i for one am fed up with it ,espesally at home games ..for gods sake lets get behind our team on Saturday and of course against Falkirk ,the players will need it ...
Billybamz
Seaside Leagues

Postby Stevie Clarke » Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:24 pm

Interesting Only Hamilton that you used the word entitlement earlier. That was the exact word that was mentioned around our group at half time just not in the direction that you've used it. One thing being angry after throwing away a home lead against Montrose, quite another to be so angry after 15 minutes of a tough away game.
Stevie Clarke
Premiership

Postby Dr Slippy » Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:08 pm

Plainly people have different values as to what is acceptable or not, and some are in denial and never see anything unacceptable by our own support.Some people think they’re entitled to everything and responsible for nothing and have no regard for the effects their actions have on others, be that players or fellow supporters.
I raised a matter that pisses me off watching Accies especially at away games, and I’m not interested in personally engaging to justify my opinions. From reading other comments there are others who agree.
I know nothing about Only Hamilton other than how they express themselves on here, but I think we have vastly differing views as to what it means supporting Accies. It’s up to others to decide what they agree or disagree with
Dr Slippy
Seaside Leagues

Postby YeOldeHamiltonian » Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:22 pm

Some interesting comments aforementioned about both sides of “Palmerstongate”.

I take exception though with the insinuation we have never had a particularly good vocal support and not getting behind the team in times of adversity.

We always had a great vocal support at the old Douglas Park and did so at New Douglas Park until Canningball and Ronnie McDonald chased away many of the kids who were in attendance the last 10-15 years.

It is only the last 2 seasons we have a semblance of vocal support returning and it can be better but there are many occasions the last 12 or so years when the fans have helped the team in adversity and to say so is wrong and perhaps hint at an agenda.

I sit predominantly in Section A but the worst abuse I see towards the team comes from The Centre Stand and always has done whether that was the old Douglas park or New Douglas Park.
YeOldeHamiltonian
Premiership

Postby Dr Slippy » Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:36 pm

Can you help me with the agenda bit. I’ve no idea what you’re talking about. I’m a fairly straightforward sort of person, I very occasionally post on here if I have a bee in my bonnet about something, but only want Accies to do well and for my enjoyment of games not to be spoiled by a few idiots.
I’ve been to Accies more or less every week since the early 70’s so I’m more than aware of the level of support over the years. My take on it is that some people have a foggy memory or look back through rose tinted spectacles. We have had a small loyal support of no more than 1500-2000 in my time. The biggest difference was in the DP days we could mount a bigger & vocal crowd for one off games. Now our hardcore support is probably 500-750 caused by rubbish football for most of the last few years and we struggle to get more than 1000 in even for the big games.
We have never had a support in numbers like St Mirren, Kilmarnock or dare I say Falkirk in my memory. I am not criticising the small number of Accies fans who turn up every week and try to create a positive atmosphere, but I just want the ones that do to help the team and not destroy individual players’ confidence by there sometimes ridiculous shouts when they are having a rough day. Is that too much to ask ?
Dr Slippy
Seaside Leagues

Previous

Return to The Accies