Fans forum. 14.09.23

Match day discussion, transfers, and all things Accies

Fans forum. 14.09.23

Postby Beckford » Thu Sep 14, 2023 8:08 pm

For me, another positive forum and if this is to become a quarterly event, that can only be a good thing.

The right guy is in charge, he has the team and the clubs best intetest at heart and sounds like measures are being taken to remove those that dont. (Which wont be easy)

Love the ambition and even if the plans are not all fully realised, at least these guys have some!

If you have not managed to get along to one yet, take one in if you can.
Beckford
Seaside Leagues

Re: Fans forum. 14.09.23

Postby Dr Slippy » Thu Sep 14, 2023 9:38 pm

I was again really impressed with what Seref had to say this evening. I believe the club is owned by a man who is genuinely interested in the football and in making us as good as we possibly can be.
My favourite quote of the evening was when he said his dream is to see NDP with 4 stands full of supporters. It may seem pie in the sky at this time , but that has been my dream since we moved into half a stadium over 20 years ago.
It’s good that the man at the top dreams about the same things as supporters.
This may be more controversial for some, but I believe people should let things go regarding any mistakes Gerry Strain may have made previously.
I have to be honest in that I don’t know the in and outs of what went on, and some may find Gerry difficult to like, but I believe he has done a good job as DoF in that he was significantly involved in closing the deal in many of the great signings we have recently made.
I don’t want him to turn into the replacement hate figure for Colin McGowan and become a distraction from what we are trying to achieve as a football team . Let bygones be bygones and just let him do his job regardless of your personal feelings about him.
I am feeling more optimistic about Accies future than I have done for some time.
Dr Slippy
Seaside Leagues

Postby Gilbaldo » Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:53 pm

Some of the key things discussed;
1. Travelling on the day of the match on Saturday saved about £6000 and the decision was made by Seref.
2. He intends to purchase the stadium within the next 24 months. This is not dependent on promotion. He would love to build extra two stands but that wasn't pursued.
3. He is aghast at the whole social media mess and a new employee (Jamie, I think) has been recruited to take things forward. She was in attendance tonight.
4. The Ryan One deal was completed with 4 minutes remaining in the transfer window. It is an excellent deal for the club with plenty of add-ons. Seref would have preferred him to go to Hull City and be loaned back for a season, but the player, his parents and agent preferred the Sheffield United deal. John Brown expects the player to be in the senior squad at Sheffield fairly soon.
5. Colin McGowan's plans for a drug rehab hostel (or whatever it was) have been kicked into touch. Core Fitness is moving in to the Spice of Life stand (for want of a better name) to release more space for the football club.
6. Gerry Strain has done an excellent job in recruiting the players John Rankine wanted. There is room in the budget for a top up in January if required.
7. A striker has been in training this week and looks good. He might be signed and available for Saturday.

That's all for now.
Gilbaldo
Seaside Leagues

Postby Crying Time Again 2 » Fri Sep 15, 2023 1:13 am

Couldn't make it tonight.
Thanks for the summary Gilbaldo. Surely the plan to buy the stadium is the most significant news in years and can only be a positive thing. Even just the intent is very encouraging.
Crying Time Again 2
Pub League

Postby Red and white hoops » Fri Sep 15, 2023 8:50 am

Excellent summary gilbaldo.

Only things I’d add is that there is going to be a link between Coleraine, who are just starting an academy, and ours. I took from it that in the future we may see some of the better boys come across from them to ours.

Serif feels that accies was used by Connor smiths agent in an attempt to get him a better deal elsewhere. Serif has told him he will not deal with him again.

Anton Dowds was close to signing but didn’t want to drop down to league 1.

“Playoffs are not good enough for us, I want to win the league” was my favourite

I’m on board with Serif. What a breath of fresh air. He seems genuinely passionate about the club and what he wants for it. Speaks well and as stated above he has the clubs best interests at heart.
Red and white hoops
Championship

Postby Bluesy » Fri Sep 15, 2023 11:15 am

Thanks for that update Gilbert.

Wow! Even the intent to purchase the stadium is sensational news.

This genuinely feels transformational.
Bluesy
Premiership

Postby porcupine » Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:22 pm

Thanks, Gilbert, and to all the other posters for their positive thoughts on this forum discussion. Normally I go, but family commitments were first in line!
Great to hear such positivity from the CEO downwards, after years of apathy from you know who.
porcupine
Premiership

Postby smc4761 » Fri Sep 15, 2023 3:57 pm

Thanks for the updates. Good to hear so many positives coming out for a change

The main irk for many at moment seems to the social media farce, with 2 twitter accounts etc and Mcgowan using one to promote his per projects.

Get that sorted, keep the team winning and i am sure that will bring back many fans

4 stands is a tad ambitious. Accies have never been a well supported club going back as far I can remember from mid 1970's. Fan base potentially of 2000 mabe 2500. Not sure of having 4 partially full stands is best use of funds, BUT buying McGowan out would be a great start
smc4761
Premiership

Postby Davie Hogg » Fri Sep 15, 2023 6:30 pm

smc4761 wrote:Thanks for the updates. Good to hear so many positives coming out for a change

The main irk for many at moment seems to the social media farce, with 2 twitter accounts etc and Mcgowan using one to promote his per projects.

Get that sorted, keep the team winning and i am sure that will bring back many fans

4 stands is a tad ambitious. Accies have never been a well supported club going back as far I can remember from mid 1970's. Fan base potentially of 2000 mabe 2500. Not sure of having 4 partially full stands is best use of funds, BUT buying McGowan out would be a great start

It is a sign of ambition and hopefully they have plans in place for growing the support over time.

I don't think it is unreasonable to think, that with the correct strategy and input of funds, that the support couldn't be grown to 4000 with Accies in the Premier league within a decade. Its a good aim.
Davie Hogg
Seaside Leagues

Postby Stevie Clarke » Fri Sep 15, 2023 6:56 pm

A lot of dreaming going on here. We've never had more than 1,500. I remember the match v Montrose in 85/86 where a win would get us a first ever promotion to the Premier and I think the crowd was 1,560 or 1,650. Getting back to the Premier would inevitably mean attritional football trying to survive with fans moaning and staying away. I was one of them!
Stevie Clarke
Premiership

Postby porcupine » Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:03 pm

Look at Livy or Airdrie, with four stands & mostly empty. Not the best use of capital. Unless occupied underneath with a guaranteed income source, unconnected with the current owner, of course. However, good to have some ambition, as others said.
porcupine
Premiership

Postby Bluesy » Fri Sep 15, 2023 11:49 pm

The other 2 stands could of course be different from the current structures. We don’t need a hugely increased capacity.
2 new stands raised to the same level as the 2 stands already in place with no more rows than the gazebo would only increase the capacity by around 500 but would increase the atmosphere hugely.
A simple structure a bit like the Larnaca stadium that Scotland played in last week but with a Cantilever roof and half the rows would be excellent and considerably cheaper than a copy of the main stand. St Mirren really missed a trick by not raising their new stadium to increase both the atmosphere and the space under the stand for commercial activities.
At the moment pie in the sky but we can dream.
Bluesy
Premiership

Postby Beckford » Sat Sep 16, 2023 1:37 am

Stevie Clarke wrote:A lot of dreaming going on here. We've never had more than 1,500. I remember the match v Montrose in 85/86 where a win would get us a first ever promotion to the Premier and I think the crowd was 1,560 or 1,650. Getting back to the Premier would inevitably mean attritional football trying to survive with fans moaning and staying away. I was one of them!

Mon stevie. Whats wrong with dreaming? If an auld duffer like me can get carried away, why not jump in? Its been too negative for too long. Who cares if its pie in the sky? If you dont aim for the stars you end up in the midden.
Beckford
Seaside Leagues

Postby Todd_is_God » Sat Sep 16, 2023 8:34 am

If we are going to do anything with the two empty sides of the ground i'd prefer raised, covered, terracing with office space etc that could be used to generate income.
Todd_is_God
Seaside Leagues

Postby Beckford » Sat Sep 16, 2023 10:05 am

A small covered terrace area for the singing section would be the best thing for atmosphere. Flags, drums etc and let them create a buzz without upsetting the sweetie wrapper rustlers that sit near me.

Mcgowans wee stadium police would need to be dealt with though to allow this to happen. There is always a better atmosphere at away games which is sad. A home support giving a loud vocal backing to the team is surely vital to improving our win rate at NDP (loved the comments about stadium naming rights at the forum btw)
Beckford
Seaside Leagues

Postby Todd_is_God » Sun Sep 17, 2023 9:50 am

Beckford wrote:A small covered terrace area for the singing section would be the best thing for atmosphere. Flags, drums etc and let them create a buzz without upsetting the sweetie wrapper rustlers that sit near me.

Mcgowans wee stadium police would need to be dealt with though to allow this to happen. There is always a better atmosphere at away games which is sad. A home support giving a loud vocal backing to the team is surely vital to improving our win rate at NDP (loved the comments about stadium naming rights at the forum btw)

If that was to happen Accies would need to own the stadium, meaning he'd be away bothering someone else.
Todd_is_God
Seaside Leagues

Return to The Accies