Rubiales played for Accie’s ??

Match day discussion, transfers, and all things Accies

Rubiales played for Accie’s ??

Postby porcupine » Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:25 pm

Heard at yesterday game that the now infamous Luis Rubiales, (still President of the Spanish FA, and still a Vice President of FIFA), is a former Accies player!

Hard to believe but he signed in August 2008 and played three games for us before leaving/retiring back to Espana. It’s the only club in the UK that he ever wanted to play for !!!!

This has got to be a great pub question in times to come!
porcupine
Premiership

Re: Rubiales played for Accie’s ??

Postby Stevie Clarke » Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:56 pm

What's with this apostrophe you always put in Accies? You don't break up a name with one. As for Rubiales, I remember he was partnered at the back by Marvin Andrews when we lost 3-0 at Killie early in the season. We wore a tangerine/orange top. John Paul Kissock also played, getting really obscure now!
Stevie Clarke
Premiership

Postby porcupine » Sun Aug 27, 2023 6:43 pm

Stevie Clarke wrote:What's with this apostrophe you always put in Accies? You don't break up a name with one!

I hang my head :(
porcupine
Premiership

Postby Gilbaldo » Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:38 am

By Michael Grant in today's Times...

The autumn of 2009 was unremarkable in the history of Hamilton Academical. Their first three games in the Scottish Premier League were 3-0, 3-0 and 4-1 defeats by Kilmarnock, Aberdeen and Rangers and they went out of the League Cup to Ross County. So far, so humdrum. The four-game period is notable only for a name which now stands out in the Accies team. In defence, the little club from Lanarkshire had a certain Luis Rubiales.

Unlike World Cup final medal ceremonies — Spain prosecutors have since opened a preliminary investigation into Rubiales for kissing player Jenni Hermoso — Rubiales passed through Scottish football without incident. Those four games were all he played under the Accies manager Billy Reid, who was subsequently Graham Potter’s assistant at Swansea City, Brighton & Hove Albion and Chelsea. Rubiales was a strapping defender, bald-headed even then, but having signed a one-year contract he quickly decided he wanted to return to Spain.

After the defeat by Rangers at Ibrox he was named Hamilton’s man of the match, only to come into the media room and surprisingly announce his retirement. It was the week of his 32nd birthday. A mutual agreement was reached with Hamilton and Rubiales returned to work for one of his former clubs, Levante, before later becoming president of the Spanish players’ union and — now infamously — the Spanish FA.

Accies’ long-serving former chairman, Ronnie MacDonald, remembers Rubiales well, and fondly. “We were casting around trying to find players,” he said. “We got him in from Spain. He was a good player. He was a proper professional, a really, really fit guy.

“He was always quite a specimen. I was thinking ‘what’s this guy doing here’. He had various aspirations and wanted a personal masseuse and stuff like that. That wasn’t the level we were at. That wasn’t exactly the Ronnie MacDonald way. We had a team of grafters.

“To be fair he was a very educated and reasonable guy. His team ethic was good as well. He never caused me any bother at all. He was brand new. He was a proper player and a proper gent, for want for a better word.

“He was obviously a bright guy. He played for us and I think we lost our first three league games which wasn’t exactly a good look and we parted ways. He wanted to go back abroad because, ultimately, he became head of the Spanish players’ union. Suddenly he was at the Spanish FA and sacking [Julen] Lopetegui [Spain’s men’s manager on the eve of the 2018 World Cup], so he has a bit of history for being confrontational.

“He was a proper guy to work with, a proper gentleman, polite to everyone. I could never have guessed he would be involved in something like this. You never know what’s coming next . . . although at Hamilton Accies there was always something coming.”
Gilbaldo
Seaside Leagues

Postby Bengee » Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:10 pm

This Kiss thing has been blown out of proportion by the Woke , political correctness ,call it what you like brigade. I'm not saying he was right but the player did not make any attempt to turn away from his face or push him away with both hands which most women would have done if they felt it inappropriate or offensive. The guy got carried away with the excitement.
Bengee
Pub League

Return to The Accies