Gerry Strain has spoken, Connor Smith

Postby smc4761 » Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:29 pm

Words of wisdome from our DOF, aye right. Make of that what you will

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/loc ... t-30725455
smc4761
Premiership

Re: Gerry Strain has spoken, Connor Smith

Postby FergiesBawls » Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:07 am

"Don't blame me. I'm wonderful," says cry baby, as he burns bridges with player and agents.
FergiesBawls
Pub League

Postby manxaccie » Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:24 am

I get after last year's debacle that Strain is never going to win over some of our fans, and the guy obviously loves the sound of his own voice. However, I don't see much wrong with clarifying the situation over Smith - which has obviously dragged on for some time now. He would be the first to get it in the neck if the agent or Smith said Accies didn't try hard enough. Smith IS too good for division 1 and he really needs to be playing at a higher level for his own development. It is, of course, a shame for Accies as he could have propelled us to the title. Hey ho.
manxaccie
Pub League

Postby Stodmeister » Fri Aug 18, 2023 12:24 pm

manxaccie wrote:I get after last year's debacle that Strain is never going to win over some of our fans, and the guy obviously loves the sound of his own voice. However, I don't see much wrong with clarifying the situation over Smith - which has obviously dragged on for some time now. He would be the first to get it in the neck if the agent or Smith said Accies didn't try hard enough. Smith IS too good for division 1 and he really needs to be playing at a higher level for his own development. It is, of course, a shame for Accies as he could have propelled us to the title. Hey ho.
I totally agree here , the agent will want to try and get a move that enhances his player's future and I guess going into a Division where some teams remain part time does not do that. Smith needs to be playing at the highest level possible otherwise his career will juts fizzle out in seasons to come
Stodmeister
Championship

Postby Todd_is_God » Fri Aug 18, 2023 12:31 pm

manxaccie wrote:I get after last year's debacle that Strain is never going to win over some of our fans, and the guy obviously loves the sound of his own voice. However, I don't see much wrong with clarifying the situation over Smith - which has obviously dragged on for some time now. He would be the first to get it in the neck if the agent or Smith said Accies didn't try hard enough. Smith IS too good for division 1 and he really needs to be playing at a higher level for his own development. It is, of course, a shame for Accies as he could have propelled us to the title. Hey ho.

Nothing wrong with clarifying that talks broke down between the player and the club.

No need to be a petulant dick about it, though.

It's not disrespectful at all to Accies for Connor Smith to not want to play third tier football on loan, as it does nothing to help his cause longer term. Different if he was signing permanently.
Todd_is_God
Seaside Leagues

Postby manxaccie » Fri Aug 18, 2023 1:18 pm

Yeah, that's the bit that we don't know about. Was the agent mucking Accies about? Should Strain have gone to the press? Is it unprofessional to do so? Is the agent reputable/un reputable? Many different factors at play and to be fair to Strain he's had a pretty good transfer window, so I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt on this one.
manxaccie
Pub League

Postby Scotty Tunbridge » Fri Aug 18, 2023 4:26 pm

manxaccie wrote:

Yeah, that's the bit that we don't know about. Was the agent mucking Accies about? Should Strain have gone to the press? Is it unprofessional to do so? Is the agent reputable/un reputable? Many different factors at play and to be fair to Strain he's had a pretty good transfer window, so I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt on this one.

To answer the questions in turn:-

1. The agent will be trying to get the best deal/club for his player that’s his job. If he’s ‘messing us’ about he’ll be messing ICT and Airdrie as well and they don’t have people going to press crying about it.
2. No he shouldn’t have, and if he felt he had to there is no need to burn bridges with the agent and player when doing so.
3. Yes it was unprofessional as above
4. Does it matter? It’s Connor smiths agent and that’s who we wanted to sign. If you have to deal with an ‘unreputable’ agent then you just get on with it.

On your other paragraph, Accies have had a good transfer window and Gerry Strain has been sure to let us know he is at the heart of it every time we announce someone :roll:
Scotty Tunbridge
Championship

Postby manxaccie » Fri Aug 18, 2023 5:08 pm

On your other paragraph, Accies have had a good transfer window and Gerry Strain has been sure to let us know he is at the heart of it every time we announce someone :roll:[/quote]

Ha ha, wouldn't argue with that. THe guy must have some ego.
manxaccie
Pub League

Postby FergiesBawls » Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:25 pm

Going to the national press to criticise and antagonise agents and a former player is not a good look. Accies failing to sign a transfer target is commonplace, not newsworthy. Simply give the facts. The clubs agreed a transfer. The player wants to play at a higher level. No opinion necessary. No criticism. No blame.
FergiesBawls
Pub League

Postby glasgow accie » Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:41 pm

^^^THIS^^^
When Saturday comes...WE ARE HAMILTON........136
glasgow accie
Championship

Return to The Accies