Accies v Airdrie

Match day discussion, transfers, and all things Accies

Accies v Airdrie

Postby TerracingTomas » Fri May 19, 2023 6:21 pm

Last game of the season so whatever happens the end of a truly awful one. I dug out my programme from the Forfar v Accies last day of the 2004 season. Now that was a truly memorable day. The sun shone, the goals rained in and the celebrations were awesome.
Any future sponsors should contact liningourownpockets@mcgoofeystadium.com
TerracingTomas
Premiership

Re: Accies v Airdrie

Postby porcupine » Fri May 19, 2023 7:25 pm

The two Brian's scoring a brace each! McPhee, a brilliant committed player for us, near the end of his career, and Carrigan, such a waste of a talent to Scottish football.
Great Bridies, and a promotion party too!
porcupine
Premiership

Postby WILF » Sat May 20, 2023 8:13 am

That was a great day, even had a mini stadium collapse (that I was at tho bottom of the resultant pile up) with the accies fan surge after McPhee scored !
WILF
Seaside Leagues

Postby aldoaccie » Sat May 20, 2023 9:23 am

Sunburn. My underlining memory of that day. And goals. And beer.
Those were the days…
aldoaccie
Seaside Leagues

Postby TerracingTomas » Sat May 20, 2023 10:20 am

That was a great day, even had a mini stadium collapse (that I was at tho bottom of the resultant pile up) with the accies fan surge after McPhee scored !

Did one of our young fans break an arm in that pile up or am I imagining that.
TerracingTomas
Premiership

Postby TerracingTomas » Sat May 20, 2023 8:02 pm

Only one person responsible the owner Colin Cochran Mcgowan.

I have no interest in football only the business of football

Well your business model has failed Colin but never mind ban a few more fans
TerracingTomas
Premiership

Postby porcupine » Sat May 20, 2023 9:22 pm

We've looked relegation candidates since the end of 2022, with only a brief flurry of hope for a very few weeks since the turn of the year. We got what we deserved today, by poor finishing after good build-up play.

Let's just hope that Division One gives us more days when we can look to win games, rather than loose those late, late goals again and again.

That's if we survive financially into season 2023/24. :roll:
porcupine
Premiership

Postby TerracingTomas » Sun May 21, 2023 7:43 am

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/loc ... mGN1O9qTMk

I take it from this that he is continuing as head coach next season. Not a surprise it would cost money to change the management team. Based on previous Mcgoofey will cut the budget further where he can. Expect a few of the current under 18 crop promoted to the first team and given full time contracts. The experienced players will be even poorer than last season and we will bring in more loanees from Newcastle and Stoke. On the other hand if Fulton is going for a decent fee we will spend that and other monies accrued during the season on building a squad to take us back up first time of asking. Which scenario do you think is likely ?

Oh and Walter Hamilton spotted in attendance last night. Remember him

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/131 ... on-accies/
TerracingTomas
Premiership

Postby Scotty Tunbridge » Sun May 21, 2023 8:42 am

TerracingTomas wrote:On the other hand if Fulton is going for a decent fee we will spend that and other monies accrued during the season on building a squad to take us back up first time of asking. Which scenario do you think is likely ?

Any fee for Fulton would have to be in excess of £250k to make the club dropping him increasing our chances of going down worthwhile, while we all know the fee will be a pittance.

Bleak times ahead, I imagine we will be part time by the start of 24/25, heck we may even move to a hybrid at the start of next season with any new signings being PT and any ambition of being a proper football club again gone.
Scotty Tunbridge
Championship

Postby YeOldeHamiltonian » Sun May 21, 2023 8:50 am

Must admit I shed a tear after game due to the consequences of this.

Rumours Fulton's fee is as low as £30k which considering Chucky went for allegedly £3k sums these chancers up.

Folk who couldn't be arsed going have no right to blabber about the game as if they never made the effort to go,their opinion matters not a jot.

We beat ourselves end of and were also denied a certain penalty;blackest day in our recent history.
YeOldeHamiltonian
Premiership

Postby Stevie Clarke » Sun May 21, 2023 11:17 am

Watched some of it back, though my recording cut out before ET. Don't know what McGowan was doing for their goal, sitting far too deep and leaving two men including the scorer unmarked. Shocking that once again we can't see it out. Like the early games at Ayr, Partick and Cove and the late game with Partick. Will be glad to see the back of the English league loanees. Tiehi scored a good poachers goal but then missed from Winter's excellent cross and then the real sickner with one minute left. Actually felt the ball in could've been played earlier and quicker but an alert striker is putting that away.

Felt really sorry for Jamie Smith. He never put a glove wrong over the two ties and came within inches of saving a couple of penalties. That's where we really missed Fulton. Of course he'll be going for a tiny fee, Scottish clubs get ripped off all the time by English clubs even Celtic.

What was the stonewall penalty, YOH? I don't remember feeling aggrieved. Should mention the brilliant displays of Scott Martin, Connor Smith ( thanks for everything and good luck at Hearts) and Lewis Smith. Shame Tumilty was on a booking as he was missed, Sparrow is not a right back.

Fearful of the future. Who knows what our squad will look like in just two months time. A lot of decisions to be made.
Stevie Clarke
Premiership

Postby porcupine » Sun May 21, 2023 11:33 am

Thought Dan O'Reilly was solid for us throughout the season, and unfortunate that it was him to have his penalty saved yesterday. I'd keep him without question, but it's likely that he'll want to play at a higher level than Div. 1 in Scotland.
porcupine
Premiership

Postby manxaccie » Mon May 22, 2023 2:43 pm

I really like O'Reilly. He does have a mistake in him now and again - handballs, penalties, sending offs etc, but overall he is a big solid defender and a goal threat at set pieces. I would imagine Fulton, Martin, Tumelty, O'Reilly, Spence will be away. Tumelty and C Smith, McGowan will be gone. Yikes!! We may have an excellent U18 team but youngsters alone are going to get severely bullied in league one next year.
manxaccie
Pub League

Postby Red and white hoops » Mon May 22, 2023 10:06 pm

I’ve hung back a wee bit on posting about the game on Saturday. Genuinely it was just too raw. Up there with the lowest I’ve felt as an Accies fan. I’ve taken my time, tried to process it a bit so here goes. Apologies for the long post.

Three weeks ago I thought it was all over already. I’d resigned myself to the inevitable. Then, not by our doing, we get a lifeline on the last day of the season. Then we get lucky again against Alloa when they go a man down and we are eventually able to take advantage and get through the tie.

All of a sudden there is confidence building that there are two ‘one off’ games and we can maybe just pull off the greatest of great escapes.

First leg doesn’t go our way but we don’t get thumped and we are still in the tie.

Then to Saturday evening. It wasn’t the greatest of games but a good bit of play and good finish from Connor Smith takes us level before Teihei gets us in front with only ten minutes to go. Just see this game out I’m thinking. Just make sure the ball is in their half, waste time at every corner and throw. Just keep the ball away from their players and away from our goal. Teihei has another great chance to wrap the game up. I still haven’t been able to watch it back but a chance that looked easier than the one he scored at the time. A striker puts that in and the games done but we haven’t had a striker all season. Then bang on ninety minutes we lose yet another late goal.
Our season summed up in ten minutes. Unable to score enough goals and conceding late goals.

Make no mistake saturdays game didn’t relegate us. A season of poor performances, bad decisions at all levels, ineptitude, unprofessionalism and more is what has relegated us.

Now, there is the makings of a decent side in there. Players like Ryan Fulton, Dylan McGowan, Dan O’Reilly, Scott Martin, Andy Ryan (until January) Reghan Tumilty, are good championship level players. Then we have three players on loan from the English premiership and one from the English championship. We have Connor Smith on loan from our own top flight. On paper they should all be very good championship level players. Add in the likes of Fergus Owens, Marley Redfern, Ryan One, Lewis Smith, Matt Shiels, Andy Winter and Lewis Spence. Add in a decent, proven goal scorer to that group and we should have been looking to finish mid table at very worst.
Set up correctly, played in natural positions, trained correctly and motivated correctly I see no reason why we couldn’t have had a far more successful season.

I write all this on Monday night at just about ten o’clock. More than forty eight hours since the end of the game. Apart from the usual post match interview from John Rankin and a post from Gerry Strain on LinkedIn that the majority wouldn’t have seen unless posted here, I wouldn’t have, there has been nothing from the club. Nothing from our CEO, chairman, vice chairman, manager or anyone else at the club. We travel all over the country, giving up our own time, family time, overtime shifts etc. We do this on Friday nights, Tuesday nights as well as Saturday afternoons and sometimes near enough the full day. We spend money a lot of us actually can’t afford/ justify following our team. Small in numbers we may be but our passion and love for our club is as strong as any other club in the world. Me and many others want to know where we stand. We want an apology. We want to know if this season has been acceptable to those in charge. We want to know the plan going forward from now. We want to know if we are going to be watching a bunch of kids getting bullied in league 1 next season. Most of all we want to know about the long term future of our club.

From top to bottom the club is a shambles at the moment. What happens and who comes and goes throughout the club this summer is going to be massive and show the clubs ambition one way or the other going forward.
Red and white hoops
Championship

Postby Beckford » Tue May 23, 2023 1:00 am

Great post R&W hoops which echos how many of us are feeling. Not been a poster on this board for many years, but its obvious that now more than ever is a time to make our collective voices heard. Sadly i do not believe there is the motivation within anyone currently involved with this so called board to plan for any improvement of anything concerned with our FOOTBALL club

The liar in chief has been allowed for far to long to have his voice heard. It is vital that every false claim he makes is publicly challenged in an organised and civil manner. After all if he speaks the truth he will be able to respond to scrutiny, wont he?

Where there is a will to survive, the b#@t%*ds wont succed in what appears to be their only goal, the slow demise of what we all hold dear!
Beckford
Seaside Leagues

Postby Stevie Clarke » Tue May 23, 2023 3:21 pm

Just seen the late, late Tiehi miss again. It was a great run by Scott Martin but a really poor ball across. Far too slow as I thought at the time. It gave the keeper the chance to make up the ground on Tiehi and make it really difficult for him. I wouldn't blame him for that one though the earlier one was easier and he had ample time to get there. Should have been 3-0 and all over.
Stevie Clarke
Premiership

Return to The Accies