50/50 Draw

Match day discussion, transfers, and all things Accies

50/50 Draw

Postby porcupine » Sun Nov 06, 2022 3:48 pm

Does this not merit a seperate thread? Too many posts on this will be 'lost' on the Raith v Accies thread. This appears to be an important topic where there appears to be a lack of transparency in the lottery draw, within the Club.

From memory, the 50/50 ticket used to be drawn from a revolving bin at half time ON THE PITCH, and the winning number then announced, or shown on a board for all to see. There is plenty of time at the half-time interval for an open & transparent operation. Without that, any unsupervised "behind the scenes" draw' of a 'winning' ticket' has to be suspect, whether at Accies or anywhere else. The eventual destination of any income, from those buying tickets, is another matter entirely.

Some may say the 50/50 draw is fixed. I couldn't possibly comment.
porcupine
Premiership

Re: 50/50 Draw

Postby TerracingTomas » Sun Nov 06, 2022 4:59 pm

Back in the day Porcupine when Ronnie and Les apparently owned the club and Watson, Mcgoofey and Walter Hamilton owned the stadium I remember a poster on here saying that the only money the club generated on match days apart from gate money obviously was from the sale of the programme, shirt sponsorship and the 50/50 draw. The yuf players sold the tickets cos every penny went to the yuf academy. Today? Who knows, it could go to Blameless, the drug hostel building fund, buying the fireworks, paying the rates on an empty stand. All I know is my money stays in my pocket with the occasional payment to bona fide charities. You used to need a licence from the local authority to run a ‘charitable’ raffle or draw. Don’t know if that is still the case. Maybe SLC should be asking the questions.
Any future sponsors should contact liningourownpockets@mcgoofeystadium.com
TerracingTomas
Premiership

Postby Red_Adair » Sun Nov 06, 2022 7:25 pm

porcupine wrote:Moderator

Does this not merit a seperate thread? Too many posts on this will be 'lost' on the Raith v Accies thread. This appears to be an important topic where there appears to be a lack of transparency in the lottery draw, within the Club.

From memory, the 50/50 ticket used to be drawn from a revolving bin at half time ON THE PITCH, and the winning number then announced, or shown on a board for all to see. There is plenty of time at the half-time interval for an open & transparent operation. Without that, any unsupervised "behind the scenes" draw' of a 'winning' ticket' has to be suspect, whether at Accies or anywhere else. The eventual destination of any income, from those buying tickets, is another matter entirely.

Some may say the 50/50 draw is fixed. I couldn't possibly comment.

I’m only saying what I see, but at half time there is a tombola brought out between the two dugouts just in front of the tunnel where it is spun, a ticket is taken out, passed to Scott who then put the number up on the twitter site.

As for winners, bar my dad who won £55 at the first home group league cup game a good few years ago and someone who sits two rows in front of me, I’ve never know or seen a winner. I did have a ticket number two off the winning one, but my ticket was the first from the book. I presume the winning ticket, like the vast majority, came from hospitality.
Red_Adair
Pub League

Postby Stevie Clarke » Sun Nov 06, 2022 9:52 pm

Red Adair is correct. All they need do is announce the name of the winner. Before long we'd twig if it was a regular fan or someone in hospitality. I've heard many guests buy large amounts of tickets because the rest of their day is often paid for by their company. But do we really only raise between £200 and £280, £140 being the biggest prize I can recall this season? Maybe it should be renamed the 30/70 draw.

Incidentally I've been at a couple of Albion Rovers games where the winner has donated the amount back to the club. Oh to have a club where the fans felt everyone was pulling together in the same direction.
Stevie Clarke
Premiership

Postby TerracingTomas » Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:48 pm

From Accies Twitter

50 50 winner for £180 is 05053

But who won, we needs to know or did some ‘astute’ businessman just pocket it :lol:
Any future sponsors should contact liningourownpockets@mcgoofeystadium.com
TerracingTomas
Premiership

Postby porcupine » Sat Nov 12, 2022 12:00 am

I met the winner outside the Main door tonight. She is a long standing Accies supporter, home and away, and reserve games too. Delighted for her. Could name names, but GDPR and all that:)

So tonight, it appears to be a genuine draw, though who knows what normally goes on inside.
porcupine
Premiership

Return to The Accies