50 Years

Match day discussion, transfers, and all things Accies

50 Years

Postby Dr Slippy » Sun Oct 23, 2022 5:16 pm

4/11/22 will mark the 50th Anniversary of my first Accies match, a 2-2 draw at DP v Clyde.
I saw a few games during the 72/73 season, and became a ST holder & regular from 73/74 onwards and was a ball boy & program seller for a few seasons.
I’ve seen us play in every division and most grounds & gone through the ups and downs over the years. I’ve seen us beat every top team in Scotland, and was there when we reached our sole cup semi final in 50 years (LC v Dundee Utd). I’ve gone to Accies matches longer than I’ve known my wife and closest friends
I introduced my son to Accies & he became a regular from the age of 8, even though his school was over the fence from Fir Park.
I was going to do something to mark my 50th Anniversary, e.g. hospitality……but I really can’t be bothered.
I still go to most matches home and away, and probably always will, but it is now out of pure habit. Enjoyment rarely comes into it with Accies these days. I have rarely felt so downbeat about my team, even during the dark days at Firhill and Cliftonhill.
I have always been what many on here would accuse of being a happy clapper, in that I never abuse my team, manager or board no matter how bad things are.
However I’ve realised that I hardly care anymore when we inevitably get beat or fail in some other way as I’ve become so accustomed to being let down by the team/club.
I have enjoyed going to u20’s/reserves etc & watching players like McArthur/Devlin/Crawford/Docherty/McMann…etc grow into excellent first team players when surrounded by seasoned pros like McLaughlin/Neil/Imrie….etc
I just feel that the club is now a Youth Academy with a senior team attached, rather than the other way round as it should be.
I realise that money is tight & I don’t necessarily subscribe to the accusations that millions of pounds have somehow been siphoned off, but I really feel that we should be doing miles better with the resources we do have.
I’ve always found Ronnie, Les and Allan to be decent people and always willing to speak to any fan. I don’t know Colin McGowan and have never spoken to him, but don’t share the vitriol towards him that may supporters do.
….the point of my post, well if someone who had been a loyal active supporter for 50 years is feeling this way about the club, how can we possibly hope to attract and retain any new supporters.
I don’t necessarily have the answers, but hope someone at the club comes up with a credible plan soon or Accies will not survive the next 50.
Dr Slippy
Seaside Leagues

Re: 50 Years

Postby southoftheborder » Sun Oct 23, 2022 5:51 pm

I'm probably a few years older - remember the days of Gordon Hamilton, Arthur McMillan, but agree with everything you say.

My dad was a season ticket holder most of his life, I moved to England for a job, but kept going as much as I could.

As much as I want to, I don't have the same enthusiasm as I did - even when we were bottom of the old second division.

Maybe we need an old farts club!
southoftheborder
Seaside Leagues

Postby Billybamz » Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:38 pm

I started going the season ,we were the worst team in Britain ,1 point in the first 19 games ,and that was against Cowdenbeath who at the time were top of the old 2nd div ,a 1.1 draw,we had some good players then ,who were unfit ,but came good the following season ,Ronnie simpson was the manager at the time ,followed by Eric smith.we ended up getting good crowds as well ,but bk then it was cheap to get it in...still pisses me off when we get beat..
Billybamz
Seaside Leagues

Postby YeOldeHamiltonian » Sun Oct 23, 2022 8:31 pm

I've been going since the 76/77 season with my first game being the 0-0 Scottish Cup against Clydebank on a Monday night.

There have been few highs and so many lows that it takes a strong sense of character to continue to "keep the faith" despite repeated disappointments- the latest being that gut wrenching defeat yesterday.

We owe it to future generations to "keep the faith" as always remember McGowan,Ronnie etc will not always be there.It is our club at the end of the day.

I feel particularly disappointed for the youngsters who have started following us since Sir Alex Neil left as it has been one disappointment after another and the young uns don't even have the odd victory over The Old Firm or repeated Derby wins to keep their confidence up the last two seasons.

It is also harder now with The Old Firm everywhere and an unlevel playing field.I have witnessed folk I stood/sat next to with at Ibrox/Parkhead who watched us win at both grounds take the easy option the last few seasons and jump ship to The Old Firm.Quite how you wake up one morning deciding to support a different team puzzles me when they previously watched us win at Old Firm grounds.

What we need more than ever is a Cup run to galvanize the support.No medium sized club such as ours has had such a wretched and embarrassing Cup record over the decades.I too was at East End Park that day as a 12 year old and can still remember the fleet of buses leaving the town as if it was yesterday.

I am still raging at that defeat yesterday and I am depressed thinking where we could end up with this clown running the show more concerned about Junkie rehab and Fireworks nights.

Despite that,I feel the current crop of players need the support more than ever.The chips are down just now as bad as the 15 points homeless years.

Now is the time to all do our bit to help us get out of this self inflicted mess.
YeOldeHamiltonian
Premiership

Return to The Accies