Forfar v Accies

Match day discussion, transfers, and all things Accies

Forfar v Accies

Postby TerracingTomas » Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:47 pm

So looking forward to my first game of the season at my favourite ground of all I’ve visited in Scotland. Another positive result in terms of goals scored would be good before a real challenge in the shape of QP.
Any future sponsors should contact liningourownpockets@mcgoofeystadium.com
TerracingTomas
Premiership

Re: Forfar v Accies

Postby TerracingTomas » Fri Jul 15, 2022 2:26 pm

Pre match review from Forfar’s official site. For them driving Station Parks post code is DD8 3BT

The ‘Loons’ will play their first competitive home game of the campaign on Saturday when they entertain Championship outfit Hamilton Accies in the Premier Sports Cup.

It will be the Lanarkshire side’s first visit to Station Park since May of 2004 when they clinched promotion to Scotland’s second tier on the last day of the season.

The Athies go into the game on the back of a 4-1 reverse away to Queens Park on Tuesday past, a final outcome that was rather harsh on Craig Slater and his colleagues who were in the contest until the closing ten minutes against a side with Premiership aspirations.

Forfar’s lineup on Saturday will be along similar lines to the midweek fixture with one notable exception. Darren Whyte will sit the game out following the knee knock which saw him substituted midway through the first half against the ‘Spiders’ a scan is required to ascertain the damage which all hope will be minimal.

Craig Thomson could return to the starting eleven following his second-half appearance on Tuesday evening, while Stefan McCluskey could well do similar.

It is hoped that James Keatings and Nathan Flanagan may play some part in the final two Group H fixtures next week.

Hamilton head north with a new man John Rankine at the helm and having made to date only two summer signings in Jonny Ngandu from Coventry City and Michael Doyle from Queens Park.

A familiar face to home supporters will be striker Andy Ryan one of their goal scorers in a 5-2 home win over Stranraer on Tuesday evening, who had a spell on loan at Station Park a few years back.

If the ‘Loons’ are to make any impact on the final sectional placings a victory would seem to be a must on Saturday.

To be fair though this will be no easy task against another full-time outfit this early in the season.

A reminder that drawn matches in the group stages after ninety minutes of action go straight to a penalty shoot-out with the winners awarded a bonus point.

First season Grade One official Alex Shepherd will be the man in the middle.

The kick-off is as normal at 3 p.m.

Reduced admission prices are £12 for adults, £7 for 65 & over and £4 for under 17’s.

Cash payment at turnstiles only.

Forfar Athletic season tickets are not valid for this fixture.

Club Director Mark Nisbet and a group of friends and colleagues will be enjoying an early season sample of the delights of the matchday hospitality experience in the Ian McPhee Lounge.

The 1984 Lounge facility will be open to supporters from 1.30 p.m. till kick-off and from the final whistle till around 7.30 p.m.

The other Group H fixture on Saturday is at Stair Park where Stranraer on the back of two successive 5-2 reversals will play host to Dundee.
TerracingTomas
Premiership

Postby porcupine » Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:57 pm

And another thing, for those of you going up. McLaren's the Bakers shuts at 2pm on a Saturday so hopefully you're in town before that time to sample their world famous Bridies!

Seem to remember the Tea stall also had bridies on sale, but it's a long time (19 Years) since we were there. Alan Maitland, Manager & promotion celebrations on the pitch at the end. Four goals from the Brians. Two from McPhee the Bee and two from the mercurial Carrigan. What a waste of talent that boy had. What could have been? Ehh?
porcupine
Premiership

Postby Euan » Sat Jul 16, 2022 6:04 am

Forfar May 2004, certainly in my top three best ever Accies moments*

Great wee ground, but maybe only at it’s best when full of happy, optimistic Accies fans, a winning Accies team and a sunny day.

Only the sunshine is likeliy today.

A must win match if we’re to progress and offer any hope of anything other than a dismal season.

*the other contenders for best ever being 0-1 at Celtic to go top of the SPL October 2014 and 0-2 (penalties) at Hibs in the play.off May 2014.
Euan
Premiership

Postby Stevie Clarke » Sat Jul 16, 2022 7:57 pm

I think we can beat Queen's Park and still not qualify if Queens beat Dundee in midweek and Dundee thrash Forfar. We'd miss out on GD if we only have a narrow win. Really want Dundee to get maximum points or at worst a shoot out win in midweek.
Stevie Clarke
Premiership

Postby TerracingTomas » Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:09 pm

A goal either side of the half time whistle knocked the stuffing out of Forfar I thought they competed well in the first half but after our second their heads went down and there was only going to be one winner. Hopefully Forfar tv may have the goal highlights somewhere. They were all well worked and good to see Ryan and Winters getting on the score sheets again as well as Shiels getting another. His mammy was very pleased. The proof of the pudding however is how we fare against QP. No good scoring against Division 2 teams if we can’t compete against QP. Anyway I had a grand day out. A new astroturf surface and the rest of the ground as I remembered it. Plus 2 bridies. And no Accies fans, I can’t agree that Forfar “can stick their bridies up their axxx” :lol:
TerracingTomas
Premiership

Postby porcupine » Sat Jul 16, 2022 9:08 pm

A Good Day out. Shorts and tee-shirts! An Accies win. Good peformances from all who were fielded. Trouble free run up and down. Home half an hour early which even Mrs Porcupine appreciated.

We will need to be playing at the top of our game next Saturday, though, if we want to get into the next round.
porcupine
Premiership

Postby Red and white hoops » Sat Jul 16, 2022 9:15 pm

A good performance with some well worked goals with good finishes.

Doyle looked good again and the third came from good work and commitment from him down the right.
Fulton didn’t have much to do but made a really good save second half.
A good finish for Winters goal.
Ngandu looks a good player and seems to link well from the midfield to front.
One looked good when he came on again, what a size of boy he is for 16. He really could be a player for us if he continues to develop and keeps his feet on the ground.
Shiels excellent too.

Next weekend will be a good test before the league gets underway.

I enjoyed being at an old ground too, was good being able to move from one goal to the other at half time.

Oh and if we play at Forfar again, everyone please remember not to sit on a barrier.
Red and white hoops
Championship

Return to The Accies