Ziggy for a scotland squad place?

Match day discussion, transfers, and all things Accies

Ziggy for a scotland squad place?

Postby H9crx » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:03 pm

It was reported that the squad may have a space for one more young player!

The chances of it being Ziggy is small but I think it would be a very good move!

Ziggy for Scotland! :D
H9crx
Premiership

Re: Ziggy for a scotland squad place?

Postby Mrsweetleftfoot » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:36 pm

Of all the teams we have played, I ain't seen a better RB....don't think it'll happen though!

Hutton and Whittaker seem to be in front of him......
Mrsweetleftfoot
Championship

Postby Red and white hoops » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:34 pm

I've feared for a while that the longer it goes without him being acknowledged at some level for scotland we'll lose him in the same way we lost McCarthy to Ireland as I'm sure he's eligible to play with poland. As far as I'm aware he has not been capped at any level with scotland. Which when you consider some of those that have shows you how bad the national teams under 21 scouting is. They would rather someone who has came off the bench for ten minutes now and again for one of the old firm rather than a player closing in on 100 first team starts.
Red and white hoops
Championship

Postby Accies4ever » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:01 pm

I suppose it's a double edged sword.

If the Zigster does get called up, it increases his profile and hence makes it more likely that he'll be attract interest from other clubs.
If he doesn't, it could be claimed that he'll get frustrated and look for a move elsewhere.

To be honest, I don't think he's the latter. At least not at his current age.
He had a chance to move (PAOK) and didn't.

I think he's the best RB in Scottish football, so the powers that be, should take notice and reward the guy with a call up.

I'd hate to lose another Scottish player to a Foreign International squad.
Like McCarthy he should be pulling on the dark blue of Scotland.

Even if he did get a call up, I very much doubt he would even get a game.

However, I suppose all Ziggy can do, is what he is doing at the moment......playing fantastic football.
His time will come.
Fingers crossed.
Accies4ever
Championship

Postby Birf » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:20 pm

If the powers that be had any sense they would give youngsters like Ziggy a chance at international level,even if it was for 10 mins in a game that's over. At least that way they can 'ring fence' the players so that he doesn't go to play for another country.
Birf
Pub League

Postby porcupine » Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:10 am

I asked this question weeks ago on the old site....Why no Scotland attention from the Billy Stark's of this world?? I had no idea that Ziggy actually had a Polish affiliation, however, and it would be a travesty if Scotland lost him to another country, given the state of our National squad in the last few years. Unlike Hutton or Whittaker, he has youth on his side, but no "Rangers, therefore must be better" syndrome for those that chose squad members.

If we have someone regularly picking Stephen Hendrie for the various squads, how can they not see Ziggy's potential??

Does it need a transfer to the EPL or Championship, for them to notice another James McArthur who is now a regular Scotland Squad member?

If I could tweet or whatever, I would be sending lots of tweets to the twits at Hampden Park about this. :twisted:
porcupine
Premiership

Postby Whiskeytown » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:13 pm

What's even more farcical is Celtic's Stuart Findlay being called up in the summer shortly after he had been part of the Morton defence that we put ten goals past. How he can be preferred to Ziggy is beyond belief but we all know why he got in. Ziggy is now too old but it's great to see Hendrie in there now, even though his form initially didn't merit a call up. It does now.
Whiskeytown
Championship

Postby NDP regular » Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:33 pm

Whiskeytown wrote:What's even more farcical is Celtic's Stuart Findlay being called up in the summer shortly after he had been part of the Morton defence that we put ten goals past. How he can be preferred to Ziggy is beyond belief but we all know why he got in. Ziggy is now too old but it's great to see Hendrie in there now, even though his form initially didn't merit a call up. It does now.

top of the spl 2nd in the u20s and only one player getting any international recognition. totally ridiculous :evil: :evil: :evil:
NDP regular
Pub League

Postby H9crx » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:58 pm

Dist again, but Stracain has picked a young boy from secco! That and his coments about manipulation to get them back in SPFL is starting to stink!
H9crx
Premiership

Postby PaulWinters » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:39 am

If every goal for Rangers and Hearts counted double, that should be enough to return them to "their rightful place".
PaulWinters
Pub League

Postby Accies Finest Spark » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:58 am

Think we need to realistic here....Yes Ziggy is deserving of some international experience but right he doesn't have the necessary top flight or European experience, Lewis McLeod has been called in as did Callum McGregor but they wont be anywhere near the squad. (Do you honestly fancy Ziggy being up against the Germans or English players that we will come up against shortly.

Ziggy would be daft to change allegiance to Poland as he would never ever get a game for them considering the current right back is the boy from Borussia Dortmund will have that place for at least another 6/7/8 years.

I do agree that he is deserving but be realistic I don't think he will be near the squad for a few years yet.
Accies Finest Spark
Pub League

Postby Whiskeytown » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:55 pm

Heard a bit of Sportsound last night and they were saying why should St Mirren's Kenny Maclean not get called up ahead of Lewis Mcleod. Scott Arfield of Burnley was mentioned too. No mention of Ali Crawford, who has scored 5 goals for a top of the table SPL side. I'm not saying Ali should be in the team but if we're bringing in second tier players, even one that seems destined for the top, then why not pick the likes of Ali and Ziggy to have a look at them. Strachan's saying look at Andy Robertson but he's had a seasons experience in the SPL and is a regular in the Premiership. Mcleod has done nothing yet.
Whiskeytown
Championship

Postby Accies999 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:39 pm

Think we need to get realistic. The reason Ziggy isn't in the squad is because he just isn't good enough yet for International football. Can you imagine Ziggy up against Muller, Lewandoski, etc. He's good and he's got potential and experience but a dozen games in the Premiership doesn't make you an international just yet. Ali Crawford has got pelters for years for underachieving and all of a sudden he should be in the Scotland squad. We've had a good wee run, outplayed most teams but now we're in a bit of a rut because the Dundee's and Particks are overpowering us with their strength. Just think what proven world class players would do against us.
Accies999
Seaside Leagues

Postby porcupine » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:30 pm

So how does Lewis McLeod's "experience" stack up with the others mentioned? :oops:
porcupine
Premiership

Postby H9crx » Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:28 am

Did not say he should get a game but should be named in the squad to give him experiance. Just like they are doing with the young secco boy.
H9crx
Premiership

Postby accies1874 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:40 pm

Phil Bardsley pulled out through injury! Finally, Ziggy's going to get called up... Oh wait, another Championship player.
accies1874
Premiership

Postby Gav » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:05 pm

accies1874 wrote:Phil Bardsley pulled out through injury! Finally, Ziggy's going to get called up... Oh wait, another Championship player.

And a very average Championship player at that. Joke decision.
Gav
Championship

Postby Accies Finest Spark » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:36 pm

porcupine wrote:So how does Lewis McLeod's "experience" stack up with the others mentioned? :oops:

Others are calling for Ziggy to be in the squad and playing Lewis Mcleod wont play like I have mentioned with Callum McGregor he was in the squad for the Germany game but wasn't even on the bench nor was Gauld on the bench v Georgia.

Callum Paterson wont play either Steven Whitaker will play at right back think we are all forgetting he is in the squad.
Accies Finest Spark
Pub League

Postby Mrsweetleftfoot » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:21 pm

Think Ziggy should've got the nod prior to Paterson.

If its just for experience then fine but who is in the squad to cover Whitaker??
Mrsweetleftfoot
Championship

Return to The Accies