Canning as manager...Success or not?

Match day discussion, transfers, and all things Accies

Re: Canning as manager...Success or not?

Postby Alexander the Great » Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:04 pm

Accies4ever wrote:First of all, I don't have anything against big Martin.
He's Accies through and through, and I'm desperate for him to succeed.

But take any emotion out of it.
All I'm saying is, given the position we were in when Alex left, where all we require to secure a top 6 was a handful of points with 13 games to achieve that, if we don't achieve at least that, then it has to be seen as a failure.

Put it this way. Next season, if we end up picking up points at the rate we currently are, we'll be relegated.

The real test for Canning will be the period where we play St Mirren, Ross Co, Motherwell and St Johnstone.
If we do well (points wise) in these games, we'll be fine.
If we struggle, then top 6 may well be "gone".

I want Accies to finish as high up the league as possible and we need to perform well in every game between now and end of season. Yes, have academy players on the bench, but play our strongest XI every game.

I reckon we'll get 8 points from those games and we'll get a point today, enough to keep us in the top 6 and challenge Dundee united after the split
daft donnachie is thicker than the lenses on they daft specs he wears !
Alexander the Great
Championship

Postby Alfie Olek » Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:14 pm

The real test for Canning will be the period where we play St Mirren, Ross Co, Motherwell and St Johnstone.
If we do well (points wise) in these games, we'll be fine.
If we struggle, then top 6 may well be "gone".

Agreed. These are games that a few weeks a go we would have expected to get at least 10 out of 12 points from. Irrespective of where we end up I would be looking for a similar points total. I accept however that having lost Andreu and Curier then goals may be hard to come by unless Brophy/Hassselbank and Jason can supply the answer.
Alfie Olek

Postby Todd_is_God » Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:50 pm

All change please, all change.
Todd_is_God
Seaside Leagues

Postby redandwhite1874 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:20 pm

I know it was the same with the last management team but for me the lack of experience is the one major concern for me.

In terms of how to turn an under preforming team around and get things back out of a real hole; then ultimately all of us are as experienced as our coaching team. I am sure at this time Martin would benefit from an 'auld heid' who had seen and done it before. We have brought numbers in and every one of them is inexperienced in general and particularly at this level.

We do need to realise that MC has inherited some real problems, taking on a team that was high up the table but has quickly lost experienced coaches and players who had goals in them. When Alex let Scotland go what was the plan? who was the replacement? It was always likely that Andreu could go in the window - who was planned the replacement ? That is all stuff that should have been done prior to Canning getting the role.
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Postby Jimmy Liddle » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:37 pm

So far it's an overwhelming NO :shock:
Jimmy Liddle
Pub League

Postby The Bajan Bandit » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:34 pm

Is there not meant to be a positive reaction from players when a new boss takes charge ?

Too many in a comfort zone knowing that there is no competition for there place .

The one thing Alex Neil had us , no matter what the line-up was , was competitive .
The Bajan Bandit
Seaside Leagues

Postby Accies4ever » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:13 pm

Well what can we say about us today?

Pish, clueless, disorganised, lacking in any ideas or positional awareness, non-committed, no fight...it goes on and on.

Yes, we had some half chances, but we were slow to react and never really looked like scoring.

The only pass marks I would give, was to McGovern and Canning. Everybody else was pure pish.

Hendrie. Although he put in a good cross for Scotland's chance and a half decent shot, he is really treading water until the new season starts. I say drop him. Get him in the development team and keep him there until he either shows some commitment or the season ends.

Garcia-Tena. Totally deserved his red card. Idiotic defending from him. Get Devlin back and stick Jesus on the bench.

Ziggy. Usually reliable, even he's now putting in sub-standard performances.

Routledge. Too often caught or nearly caught in possession, leading to hurried passes to the opposition.

Mackinnon. Hasn't tried (apart from my patience) since Alex left. Another to warm the bench.

Gillespie. Tries hard but to no avail. Too often tries to play the fancy ball to no effect. I think he's now confused which position he should play. Is it RB or LB or DM. No this week it's AM (F**k's sake!)

Crawford. Has really went off the boil. Only useful for corner kicks and a well deserved early bath today, and not for good reasons.

Watson. I know he's part of the development squad, but raw as hell today and was like a rabbit in the headlights.

Redmond. Has nice touches at times and obvious skill, but always seems to choose the wrong option. He totally gave up in the 2nd half and surprised he wasn't first subbed.

Scotland. Had little supply today, but boy is his age catching up with him. Slower than a week in the jail.

Brophy. Again brought on way too late. Give him at least a whole half.

Sumsky. How bloody small is he? Hope he plays on the wing, otherwise he's going to get doing playing in centre field

Canning. Thought he played well today, but I just feel there's no leadership from him on the park, apart from shouting "come on" to the guys. That's not problem-solving leadership. I can shout "come on from the stands, but it doesn't make me the manager.

Swailes. Does he actually do anything in the dugout? Stands with his arms folded and there's no direction or instructions forthcoming. Seems like a f**king waste of space to me. Eventually Beuzy felt embarrassed and started waving his arms about.

McGovern. Thank god we have a good keeper, otherwise we would have had another roasting today.

Ask yourself a question. We know that Alex and 22 have left (MAC too), but these are the same guys that were performing to great effect a mere month or 2 ago. What's changed?
I'll tell you......no bloody leadership from the new so-called management team.

I had a real bad feeling when Canning and Co were chosen, and I'm still prepared to give them to the end of the season, but if it's not sorted by then, it's taxi for Canning and Co time!!

I hope the Accies board do from time to time visit these fan forums, just so they know how the supporters feel.
Accies4ever
Championship

Postby redandwhite1874 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:28 pm

The Bajan Bandit wrote:Is there not meant to be a positive reaction from players when a new boss takes charge ?

Too many in a comfort zone knowing that there is no competition for there place .

The one thing Alex Neil had us , no matter what the line-up was , was competitive .

That's 3 times Aberdeen have comfortably beaten us - 2 of them were under Alex -not denying the dip but just adding a perspective.
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Postby Park Materson » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:33 pm

Top 6 _FLOP /Bottom 6 EVEN BIGGER FLOP
Park Materson
Seaside Leagues

Postby Yummy Fur » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:54 pm

I've got some sympathy for Martin Canning - I believe the decision to keep Frankie McAvoy on for the first few games was made with the best of intentions but in hindsight it simply didn't work and must of left Canning in a very awkward position were I believe he was manager but not really calling the shots. The games against Dundee and Kilmarnock showed an improvement but he was let down by a senior player's moment of madness and an awful referee decision which probably robbed him of his first win(s) as manager. Losing 2 out of our 3 regular scorers on deadline day was far from ideal as well, however in saying all that today was a shambles.

For the first time since the last days of the Billy Reid era I questioned the workrate of an Accies team. For the first time since the BR era I saw players regularly arguing amongst themselves and quick to blame others for their own mistakes. Today I saw a team completely bereft of all confidence with several players unrecognizable (Ali Crawford, Grant Gillespie) from the players that were purring only a 6 or 7 games ago.

There was no idea how to change things. No point bringing on Brophy with less than 15 minutes to go and down to 10 men - what purpose does that serve the team or the lad? No point in bringing Sumsky on for a few minutes at the end, the game was gone after an hour and that was the opportunity to give him a half hour run out and make his case for a start at Parkhead next week.

Another worrying aspect was the lack of decision making and activity from Chris Swailes on the bench - Jesus gets sent off leaving us with no option but to make a change but Martin Canning needs to come over practically all the way to the touchline to instruct Swailes what change to make and as a result Craig Watson comes on without warming up. Surely the least you would expect from your assistant manager is that after a red card in the middle of your defence he would send his subs out to warm up? If Canning is going to manage and continue playing he needs an assistant on the bench he can trust.

7 games without a win and it's time for the tinkering around the edges to stop and for Canning to stamp his authority on this team:-

With a lack of leadership on the park it's crazy to have your keeper as captain - Ziggy (did we lose a game during his stint as captain) or Devlin to be made captain long term.
While Hendrie wasn't the worse today (although he was slow to close down the cross for the opener) I can't see what purpose it serves us playing him for the rest of the season so either MacDonald or McMann to be given their chance.
Fitness permitting Devlin will return next week as Tena is suspended but it's time to give him a run in the team as he's our best defender.
A midfield of Gillespie, McKinnon and Routledge isn't working - surely Crawford is the obvious man to take the #22 role.
Brophy needs to be given more game time and not just 10 minutes at the end of a game.
Yummy Fur
Seaside Leagues

Postby redandwhite1874 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:59 pm

I agree re Crawford being the best option to cover Tony's role; perhaps the return of Imrie will facilitate that? I am not Gills biggest fan but thought he did well today and after Routledge's return from injury it is clear he is the current best man for the holding role. We need a striker desperately - Nigel has hardly played this season so we cannot expect a match fit striker soon.
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Postby Alexander the Great » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:10 am

if we don't make top 6, I would not even give canning till the end of season, but you never know he could turn it round with three wins motherwell, county and st Mirren/st johnstone and all this would be forgotten about, although at the minute god knows where we would get the three goals to beat them.
daft donnachie is thicker than the lenses on they daft specs he wears !
Alexander the Great
Championship

Postby H9crx » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:43 am

Very interesting that people are now stating the SH should not be played and we should play someone with a eye on next year!

I said this when the deal was done and shot down in flames! Will SH go for a 50/50 cruncher? NO will he stick he head in to win a ball NO will he take one for the team NO

But it looks like the rest of the players are not willing to do this for Canzo!

Lynch, sumsky, Imrey, Brizilan/Italian Nigel and EB all need to start next week and if they show 100% work rate and effort then they get the nod for the next few weeks!

We are going to get pumped any way!
H9crx
Premiership

Postby Euan » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:44 pm

It's starting to look like not...but the jury is still out. St Mirren, Ross County and Motherwell games will be decisive now. We should expect 5-7 points, but I fear we may be lucky to get 1.
Badly organised yesterday, Aberdeen didn't really play that well and it could have been 0-6 with different officials, but for me the thing that made my mind up was Tena's red card. He was booked, looked flustered, was lucky not to go for penalty box tussle and dismissed 2 minutes later. It was obvious he was going and he should have been subbed before he was sent off. A really basic error and shows Canning's lack of judgement (or maybe he just wasn't following the intricacies of the game from the pitch, in which case Swailes should be instructing him!)
I fear a 6 or 7 goal thrashing next week, but it's the following games that matter more.
If he's still struggling in the role by May, the Club need to think hard about the future.
Euan
Premiership

Postby Dr Slippy » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:23 pm

Clutching at straws here, but I read today that Davie Moyes did not win any of his 1st seven games as Preston manager. He went on to do okay - other than Man U.
Dr Slippy
Seaside Leagues

Postby Thethirdproclaimer » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:31 pm

Euan wrote:He was booked, looked flustered, was lucky not to go for penalty box tussle and dismissed 2 minutes later. It was obvious he was going and he should have been subbed before he was sent off.

The thing I noticed most about that incident, other than Tena's stupidity, was the folk clapping him off! I remember the same at Dens last season when Ziggy and Hendrie went. What exactly have they done to deserve applause?!
Thethirdproclaimer

Postby Gaspode » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:42 pm

Thethirdproclaimer wrote:
Euan wrote:He was booked, looked flustered, was lucky not to go for penalty box tussle and dismissed 2 minutes later. It was obvious he was going and he should have been subbed before he was sent off.

The thing I noticed most about that incident, other than Tena's stupidity, was the folk clapping him off! I remember the same at Dens last season when Ziggy and Hendrie went. What exactly have they done to deserve applause?!

Me too, utterly bizzare! He let us down and then folk clap him off!
Gaspode
Championship

Postby accies1874 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:12 pm

Gaspode wrote:
Thethirdproclaimer wrote:

Me too, utterly bizzare! He let us down and then folk clap him off!

I honestly feel we need to be looking at 9/9 vs the bottom 3. St Mirren have got 2 points at home all season, Ross County are plain and simply dreadful and Motherwell are just as bad - not to mention we are 9 - 0 up over 2 games. If we get beaten in any of them its a disaster but even drawing them is very poor.
accies1874
Premiership

Postby Davie Hogg » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:48 pm

it is far too early to judge him as a success or failure. Give him a chance to forge his own team.
Davie Hogg
Seaside Leagues

Postby Euan » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:01 pm

Davie Hogg wrote:it is far too early to judge him as a success or failure. Give him a chance to forge his own team.

It is but he seemed reluctant and unsure of himself at first, having heard his interview prior to his first game in charge, which didn't bode well.
Seems unsure of what to do under adversity but may learn in the job given time.
By summer he should know himself if he's up to the job and the board should know too...as such may be difficult decisions ahead.
Euan
Premiership

PreviousNext

Return to The Accies