Summer signings and departures

Match day discussion, transfers, and all things Accies

Re: Summer signings and departures

Postby Euan » Thu May 20, 2021 1:51 pm

That would explain the Matthew Shiels signing, who looks promising enough, although I would have tried to get McCann back from Airdrie.
Euan
Premiership

Postby YeOldeHamiltonian » Thu May 20, 2021 3:25 pm

Clyde fans saying the guy is not very good.

There is a pattern here of signing dross,so hope not.
YeOldeHamiltonian
Premiership

Postby porcupine » Thu May 20, 2021 7:34 pm

So the board have refused Falkirk permission to talk to BR?? Did they have a tip-off that Falkirk might be sniffing about, hence the recent new contract for the management team?

Ideal opportunity to get a new manager in with no cost implications for Accies.

But then, what do I know?
porcupine
Premiership

Postby TerracingTomas » Thu May 20, 2021 8:58 pm

Just back from my first pub meal and pints with mates since the beginning of last year and Porcupine ruins that warm glow I was enjoying. What’s the matter with you Brian, Falkirk will give you at least 2 years of a contract, probably more money and it’s nearer your house. You know you want to go. :arrow:
Any future sponsors should contact liningourownpockets@mcgoofeystadium.com
TerracingTomas
Premiership

Postby porcupine » Thu May 20, 2021 9:50 pm

Whoops, TT, sorry to have spoiled your long awaited get-together, but breaking news was breaking news.

Clearly, the BOD see more potential in BR than we have, over the last 2.5 years. This was a no-brainer UNLESS the BOD realised that any new manager would want a higher salary than present manager is earning, so they took the soft option (again) rather than the sensible one based on performance & results to date.

This all smacks of a boardroom lack of ambition coupled with a parsimonious approach to what is normally a results driven business.

I can't be the only one who can foresee League 1 football looming. :o
porcupine
Premiership

Postby smc4761 » Thu May 20, 2021 10:23 pm

porcupine wrote:Whoops, TT, sorry to have spoiled your long awaited get-together, but breaking news was breaking news.

Clearly, the BOD see more potential in BR than we have, over the last 2.5 years. This was a no-brainer UNLESS the BOD realised that any new manager would want a higher salary than present manager is earning, so they took the soft option (again) rather than the sensible one based on performance & results to date.

This all smacks of a boardroom lack of ambition coupled with a parsimonious approach to what is normally a results driven business.

I can't be the only one who can foresee League 1 football looming. :o

it looks like we will be moving on our "best players" as a cost cutting exercise, due to relagation. Callachan, Hamilton McMann. This is going to leave us with a team of Minmaughs, Winters etc, decent enough players, but to lightweight and inexperienced in a tough league

For once have the BOD shown some initiative in giving Rice a new contract, perhaps knowing Falkirk were sniffing about after Rice ? Maybe we will get a wee bit of compo if they poach Rice
smc4761
Premiership

Postby TerracingTomas » Thu May 20, 2021 10:39 pm

I don’t know about identifying potential in Rice. They want to keep him IMO because he has shown that he will do their bidding and play youth. Next season the more the merrier. A new manager/coach wouldn’t I suspect be prepared to accept that. It’s going to be a long close season.
TerracingTomas
Premiership

Postby TerracingTomas » Fri May 21, 2021 8:32 pm

Dougie Imrie to Livvi as first team coach and head of academy programmes.

https://livingstonfc.co.uk/dougie-imrie ... rogrammes/
TerracingTomas
Premiership

Postby porcupine » Fri May 21, 2021 10:48 pm

TerracingTomas wrote:It’s going to be a long close season.

Especially as we are unlikely to attract or sign anyone of significance in that period. We were always traditionally slow in signing players quite apart from a probable lack of spondulux now.

Difficult to see us challenging in games against Raith, Dunfermline, ICT, QotS, Arbroath, Ayr, Morton, Thistle & probably Killy, with a young set of players and very few with regular Premiership experience.

It's also going to be a long open season, TT, IMO.
porcupine
Premiership

Postby TerracingTomas » Mon May 24, 2021 2:31 pm

McMann now being linked with Mansfield Town. That’s a bit of a comedown after Millwall, Hibs and St Johnstone. I smell his agent at work trying to drum up a bid.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/footbal ... ar-AAKhVjb
TerracingTomas
Premiership

Postby smc4761 » Mon May 24, 2021 6:18 pm

YeOldeHamiltonian wrote:Brian Rice bookie's favourite for the Falkirk job and their fans are happy with this.

If this is true,then Dougie(if still here)and Daz for me as plenty folk I know would want Buezelin nowhere near it.

Some possible bad news for those of us hoping that Falkirk would come and poach Rice.

Big Yogi has walked away from Ross County, could he be the new Falkirk manager. ?
smc4761
Premiership

Postby Euan » Mon May 24, 2021 9:44 pm

That’s Kilmarnock down, think they’ll struggle next season too. Gambled on Lafferty keeping them up.
Not a fan of Dundee but with Oakley and McGowan in the Kilmarnock squad I was happy to see them relegated.
Euan
Premiership

Postby Stevie Clarke » Mon May 24, 2021 9:52 pm

Euan wrote:That’s Kilmarnock down, think they’ll struggle next season too. Gambled on Lafferty keeping them up.
Not a fan of Dundee but with Oakley and McGowan in the Kilmarnock squad I was happy to see them relegated.

Yep, me too. 28 years in the top flight, they were overdue the drop. Hopefully Motherwell (36 years) are next.
Stevie Clarke
Premiership

Postby Stodmeister » Mon May 24, 2021 9:58 pm

Euan wrote:That’s Kilmarnock down, think they’ll struggle next season too. Gambled on Lafferty keeping them up.

They have an ageing squad and can't see Lafferty staying on , they probably couldn't pay his wages. I reckon they could be in a right state next season possibly worse than us as they don't seem to have any young ones coming through.
Stodmeister
Championship

Postby porcupine » Tue May 25, 2021 9:37 am

Euan wrote:Not a fan of Dundee but with Oakley and McGowan in the Kilmarnock squad I was happy to see them relegated.

Always thought that AJ McGowan was a good player for us and was really surprised he thought Killy were a better option than re-signing for us. Oakley flattered to deceive and was one of a number of BR signings that were ill-judged.

I'd take AJ back anytime.

Killy got what they deserved this season.
porcupine
Premiership

Postby Stevie Clarke » Tue May 25, 2021 3:29 pm

Oakley's no great shakes but I don't think you can say his signing was ill-judged when he scored two vital goals early on against St Johnstone in a 2-1 win in Rice's second game that went a long way in keeping us up, then the following season his two goals at Tynecastle which again proved vital. Then there was his wonder goal at Aberdeen. Eight goals in thirty six games is a decent return for an Accies striker in the Premier.
Stevie Clarke
Premiership

Postby TerracingTomas » Tue May 25, 2021 3:45 pm

Wright has said post relegation that there will need to be a clear out so I suspect Oakley and AJ will be part of that. Would take both back as part of a Championship squad. AJ will be off down south and Oakley would get more money elsewhere in our new league. WAH Twitter is reporting Moyo as off. Given we extended his contract last year until 2023 I would be surprised. Well not really we are a ‘strange’ club after all.
TerracingTomas
Premiership

Postby porcupine » Tue May 25, 2021 4:10 pm

Forgot about Oakley's goals in previous season. Sorry, George, an ill-judged remark by me then!

Accies ARE predictably unpredictable in just about everything, including Arrivals & Departures.
porcupine
Premiership

Postby smc4761 » Tue May 25, 2021 6:50 pm

McGowan staying with Killie

Can only hope that Moyo is offski
smc4761
Premiership

Postby TerracingTomas » Wed May 26, 2021 12:19 pm

Another story touting Jamie Hamilton for the English premiership. This time the club are using outgoing Aaron Martin to promote Young Hamilton's potential. They really are desperate to make some decent money from him.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/loc ... e-24180261

He’s not in the under 21 squad and it’s being suggested the club didn’t want him included to ensure he didn’t get injured. The thing is other clubs be it down south or wherever are not stupid. They know the situation Accies are in so they won’t be offering silly money, 500 k and a sell on case likely IMO.
TerracingTomas
Premiership

PreviousNext

Return to The Accies