Games that define our season

Match day discussion, transfers, and all things Accies

Games that define our season

Postby smc4761 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:58 pm

Last season there were 2 games that defined our season. The last minute penalty against Killie to give us a 1-0 and the game at Ibrox a week later where we won for first time in years. Those games were the ones that kept us in SPL

This season again 2 games defined our season but for wrong reason. 1-0 up against County with less that 10 mins to go and we lose 1-2. played St Johnstone a week or so later, 1-0 up with 2 mins to go and lost a goal in 89 minute. So instead of 6 point we end up with 1.

And those results are the reason we say goodbye to SPL. Hope I am wrong but.........
smc4761
Premiership

Re: Games that define our season

Postby TerracingTomas » Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:11 pm

The games that defined the season for me were the defeats at the hands of Annan, Stranraer and of course the Rangers game. Rice should have been shown the door instead if we don’t survive they will re write history blame our injuries and give him a new contract !
Any future sponsors should contact liningourownpockets@mcgoofeystadium.com
TerracingTomas
Premiership

Postby porcupine » Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:27 pm

You are both correct. The latest loss of 5 points in those 2 games would have helped, of course, but the lack of tactical 'nou' in the Annan & Stranraer games was a clear indicator of how the season was likely to develop. We have not progressed since BR took over, regardless of injuries.
Even though we might yet beat County & Killy, or even Well, in the play-offs, I suspect our 'days in the sun' has gone for a long time, and that to hold our place in the Championship will take more than we have at present.
porcupine
Premiership

Postby Stevie Clarke » Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:24 pm

The win at Ibrox came first then we beat Killie on the Saturday and that was the season prematurely ended.

The Ross County defeat from the jaws of victory was 3rd February, the similar game with St Johnstone was 3rd March. We had four games in between, including drawing with Rangers and thrashing Motherwell.

It's all to play for. We'll go down eventually and it may be this season but we have five crucial games to come. We're hardly detached at the bottom.
Last edited by Stevie Clarke on Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stevie Clarke
Premiership

Postby Euan » Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:26 am

Dates for the post split games
Rd 34 – Weekend of 10/11 April
Rd 35 – Midweek of 20/21 April
Rd 36 – Weekend of 1/2 May
Rd 37 – Midweek of 11/12 May
Rd 38 – Weekend of 15/16 May

We’ve got 3 weeks until we play in the league again, hopefully time to get Ogkmpoe fit and maybe one or two others?
It’s hardly a demanding schedule thankfully which should allow our limited squad to cope better, although the Scottish Cup is in there too, St Mirren again on 3 April, next rounds 17 and 24 April (no replays this season).

The order of who plays who will have an impact. I’d prefer County and Kilmarnock to play each other first, so we know what’s required, with us playing St Mirren (a) Kilmarnock (h) County (a) Dundee Utd (a) then Motherwell (h) but I suspect we’ll finish the season in Dingwall.

Still a lot to play for, but I suspect that the best we can hope for is a play-off game, which is exciting :shock:
Euan
Premiership

Postby Willie Wastle » Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:09 pm

Let’s face it, we were lucky to stay up last season, and this season we’ve been hampered by multiple injuries. It’ll be a miracle if we survive: I don’t even fancy our chances in a play-off, if we manage to get into it. We’ve defied the odds, but all good things must come to an end. I hope Brian Rice and the players can prove me wrong.
sic a wife as Willie had, I wadna gie a button for her!
Willie Wastle
Premiership

Postby Euan » Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:56 pm

I don’t think we were lucky last season, although I admit we’ll need lots of it this year.
We’d recently won at Ibrox and beaten Kilmarnock, when it stopped. We were playing well, due to visit Dingwall, with County on a losing streak, our confidence was high and Want and Hamilton were developing a solid partnership at the back.
At the time I thought County we’re going down and it was between us and Hearts for the playoff.
I realistically expected us to finish 10th with Hearts surviving too.
This year I expect Kilmarnock to start to rally, after yesterday’s result.
The 1-2 result v County when we failed to hold onto our lead is the result that could (most likely will) be our downfall.
Euan
Premiership

Postby YeOldeHamiltonian » Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:02 pm

Too much gloom and doom with only two points in it and we have experience of this unlike most of the Killie players.

Fwiw,if we were able to call on Templeton,Ogympoe,Nathan Thomas and Lewis Smith for at least half of this season,we wouldn't be in this position.

Yes,Rice has made many mistakes but the injuries to our forward players are what is killing us and we should have burst a gut to get two strikers in January due to our injury record.
YeOldeHamiltonian
Premiership

Postby Montrose Week 2 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:31 pm

Nailed it Mitchy, January window & injuries have killed us.
We are hard to beat but at same time carry absolutely no threat, 5 x draws is all we can hope for unless some of injuries heal.
Montrose Week 2
Pub League

Return to The Accies