Nigel Hasselbaink Signing

Match day discussion, transfers, and all things Accies

Nigel Hasselbaink Signing

Postby glenthedog » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:51 pm

The BBC Sport page is running an article saying that we hope to bring Nigel Hasselbaink back to the club:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/31162298

I think this will be a good signing if he can re-capture some of his previous form, and he's only 24.
glenthedog
Pub League

Re: Nigel Hasselbaink Signing

Postby glenthedog » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:59 pm

Also looking at Gary McCann from Irvine Meadow:

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/loca ... se-5114900
glenthedog
Pub League

Postby Gilbaldo » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:02 pm

Nigel has signed, confirmed on the club website and twitter.
Gilbaldo
Seaside Leagues

Postby Alfie Olek » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:30 pm

We know what we are getting and he is more than capable of playing at premiership level. Most of the St Johnstone fans on P and B wish they had him back although one or two mention his temperament but we now that. Not exactly a prolific scorer though.
Alfie Olek

Postby redandwhite1874 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:40 pm

I thought he blew hot and cold the last time but he was raw and I look forward to seeing the benefit that experience has brought to him. Getting support to him will be the challenge; but a good move and the club has a bit of faith in terms of the 18 month deal :D
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Postby Thethirdproclaimer » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:10 pm

I thought he added very little when he was here last, and was never impressed when I saw him for St Johnstone. All I can say is he might get us a couple of penalties. I'll happily be proved wrong though, but can't help thinking we could've used the money better.
Thethirdproclaimer

Postby Davie Hogg » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:37 pm

We need to give him a chance before judging him.
Davie Hogg
Seaside Leagues

Postby Thethirdproclaimer » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:59 pm

I'm aware of that. But you're allowed to give your opinion on his career to date. Do you disagree that the money could have been better used?
Thethirdproclaimer

Postby Davie Hogg » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:23 pm

Thethirdproclaimer wrote:I'm aware of that. But you're allowed to give your opinion on his career to date. Do you disagree that the money could have been better used?

We have to wait and see on that. But compared to what? Who do you think would have been a better signing?
Davie Hogg
Seaside Leagues

Postby H9crx » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:54 pm

Do we think he will play in the #22 slot?
H9crx
Premiership

Postby Thethirdproclaimer » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:49 pm

Jeezo, a message board wouldn't be too interesting if everyone said 'well we'll wait and see' to everything.

I'd like to have seen Loy (who obviously wasn't free but we wouldn't have been far away from getting him), Graham, Russell or Taylor. Other than that I'd rather see us look at a lower league player or two. There's no saying we didn't do that, but I'm not a great fan of going back in for players who you've previously released. I wouldn't say Imrie or Courier have worked out brilliantly on the field, and we may well have got more out of players who feel as if they've something to prove at the top level.
Thethirdproclaimer

Postby Accies999 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:50 pm

Not my first pick but decent signing, especially on a free. A lot of experience for someone so young.
Accies999
Seaside Leagues

Postby WILF » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:47 pm

I never realised he was only 24. Spoke to some Saints fans tonight who thought he was a good signing, they seem to rate him. He was inconsistent with us first time but scored a great winner against the Smell at Fir Park so I've always had a soft spot for him!!
WILF
Seaside Leagues

Postby YeOldeHamiltonian » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:56 pm

Like this,despite him not being a prolific scorer.He can play any position across the front and St.Johnstone fans have been saying he was good for them.He won't be as raw as last time.Good squad boost......Rory Lou and Dene Shields in the summer hopefully as well.

As for McCann.Highly rated by his Uncle Terry.He could be so good for us.Right guy,right time,hopefully right location.
YeOldeHamiltonian
Premiership

Postby H9crx » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:03 pm

YeOldeHamiltonian wrote:Like this,despite him not being a prolific scorer.He can play any position across the front and St.Johnstone fans have been saying he was good for them.He won't be as raw as last time.Good squad boost......Rory Lou and Dene Shields in the summer hopefully as well.

As for McCann.Highly rated by his Uncle Terry.He could be so good for us.Right guy,right time,hopefully right location.

Who is Mcann?
H9crx
Premiership

Postby Davie Hogg » Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:28 am

YeOldeHamiltonian wrote:Like this,despite him not being a prolific scorer.He can play any position across the front and St.Johnstone fans have been saying he was good for them.He won't be as raw as last time.Good squad boost......Rory Lou and Dene Shields in the summer hopefully as well.

Are you Arthur Daley?
Davie Hogg
Seaside Leagues

Postby Accies4ever » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:21 am

From what I remember when Nigel was with us before and what I've read (mostly from St J fans), Nigel may be best employed either in the #22 role, or out on the left wing as an attacking winger.

Certainly don't feel that he's the answer to our striking dilemma.

Does anyone know if Nigel's clearance has come through and he'll play today.

I suspect Martin may line up like this today:

GK: McGovern
DEF: Ziggy-Canning-Devlin-Hendrie
DM: Gillespie and Routledge
AM: Hasselbaink (if avail) - Sumsky - Crawford
ST: Scotland.

Brophy, Lucas, Lynch, etc on the bench.
Accies4ever
Championship

Postby Accies4ever » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:11 pm

What's the deal with international clearance not arriving as yet for Nigel?
How long does it take?

He's a EU citizen who last played for a EU team.

Under employment law, is he not entitled to play for a EU team without clearance?

Can Accies not do something to rush the clearance through otherwise?

Bet if Struthers was still in place, he'd be playing or at least eligible for Sunday.

Anyone know what's really happening?
Accies4ever
Championship

Postby H9crx » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:51 pm

Ye I'm not happy about this!
H9crx
Premiership

Postby accies4life » Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:23 am

hope it's just a glitch of some sort that has caused a minor delay, i'm fine with it going to next week, but anything after that, questions will have to be asked
accies4life
Pub League

Next

Return to The Accies