Accies: Properly run football club!

Match day discussion, transfers, and all things Accies

Re: Accies: Properly run football club!

Postby Alexander the Great » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:44 pm

i don't agree that the club should play young players just because alex neil and Frankie are away, you should always put out your strongest team to finish as high up the league as possible or what is the point of hendrie still here when macdonald could be playing.
daft donnachie is thicker than the lenses on they daft specs he wears !
Alexander the Great
Championship

Postby Whiskeytown » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:54 pm

YOH, it's our ambition that has ultimately cost us. We could have stayed in the second tier and not chased the dream. We strived and achieved and others noticed and came calling. I know you are not really arguing about the wisdom of selling Andreu or Neil leaving, it's where we go from here. We don't want to be taken for mugs as clubs know we have money so if the board reckons Loy is not worth 100k then good, I agree with them. We are still odds on to finish top 6. St Mirren may have won a recent cup but they have not finished any higher than 8th since they came back up. Fifth or sixth would be some achievement for a club that began the season with crowds of 1,622 and 1,577! We knew this window could be painful and it has, bloody painful! Time to just take a step back and continue to get behind the team.
Whiskeytown
Championship

Postby Chase Outlaw » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:34 pm

The statement for Ronnie on the offical site suggests he only knew Tony was leaving on Monday afternoon,Can't have that the world and his granny knew he was Noriwch bound.In an interview on Radio Scotland in his first few days in charge at Carrow Rd Alex Neil was asked if he was going to sign any Hamilton players he said "not in the next couple of days".From then on it was nailed on it would pan out as it has.As for the money and where it goes I personally don't care the guys in charge are doing a fantastic job and long may it continue,But i have never seen a £20 note stick one in the rigging.

Roll on Saturday.
Chase Outlaw
Seaside Leagues

Postby glenthedog » Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:57 pm

I'd agree with most comments that the development model we have (coupled with an improving scouting network) is the way forward for the club. The income we earn from the player sales keeps us punching above our weight and will make up for the shortfall in cash that we no doubt experience due to the low gate numbers. All Scottish clubs are effectively selling clubs, and Accies are no different - just look at Dundee United and St Mirren during the transfer window.

All I would say is that the club needs to ensure a modicum of ambition is maintained, otherwise what is it all for? I'd like to see Brophy get his chance (and also Docherty) and hope that they do well. I have my doubts about Lucas (hope I'm wrong), but I think Sumsky has the right pedigree to be a decent player with the relevant guidance that Accies are good at providing.

If anything, perhaps a couple of experienced players to help the youngsters would be good, and it's possible we may still pick up a couple of guys who are free agents. Things are looking good at the club, although this doesn't make them immune from fans passing comment as they see fit. We've come a long way from where we were 20 years ago, and long may it last.
glenthedog
Pub League

Postby Alexander the Great » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:03 pm

Chase Outlaw wrote:The statement for Ronnie on the offical site suggests he only knew Tony was leaving on Monday afternoon,Can't have that the world and his granny knew he was Noriwch bound.In an interview on Radio Scotland in his first few days in charge at Carrow Rd Alex Neil was asked if he was going to sign any Hamilton players he said "not in the next couple of days".From then on it was nailed on it would pan out as it has.As for the money and where it goes I personally don't care the guys in charge are doing a fantastic job and long may it continue,But i have never seen a £20 note stick one in the rigging.

Roll on Saturday.

more like Monday night, west brom and Norwich agreed a fee for dorrans only for him to knock them back
daft donnachie is thicker than the lenses on they daft specs he wears !
Alexander the Great
Championship

Postby glenthedog » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:56 pm

The one thing I was a bit concerned about was how the club handled the bids for Loy. They obviously had identified him as a player they wanted, and would have had a fair idea of what Falkirk would have been looking for. They then submit a bid that was well below expectations, and then follow it up with a bid that wasn't much better.

This kind of practice doesn't do the club any favours, brings some negative headlines and overall is a bit embarrassing. If they are serious enough to bid for a player then they need to make an offer that is at least somewhere in the ballpark. The development and scouting side of things are coming along very well, but some of our skills in the transfer market need a bit of a reality check.
glenthedog
Pub League

Postby silverfox » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:19 pm

Agree that the club is run well , however, I agree with Glen that we have also to maintain a modicum of ambition in the club .Trust is a two way street and should also take into recognition the fans view as the true custodians of the club. Personally I don't believe that would in any way be at odds with the clubs developmental ethos and that to suggest the club has to be run in only one manner or to pigeon hole Accies as a certain type of club is not forward looking in my opinion.
Last edited by silverfox on Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
silverfox
Seaside Leagues

Postby Willie Wastle » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:23 pm

Davie Hogg starts a good thread. I don't agree with everything he says, but I agree with his overall assessment. Some have debated differences in a reasonable way.

But one poster implies he is a "happy clapper", and talks of "defeatism" and a "lack of ambition". Isn't this what the moderator warned against only the other day?

It's a shame that some of our fans seem determined to attack others just because they have a different point of view. Nobody "speaks for the fans" more than anyone else here, and such claims are no more than self-aggrandisement.
sic a wife as Willie had, I wadna gie a button for her!
Willie Wastle
Premiership

Postby H9crx » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:19 pm

If we are saying we need to give the young players a chance to get ready for next year. Why will we insist on playing SH?
H9crx
Premiership

Postby Davie Hogg » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:36 pm

Willie Wastle wrote:Davie Hogg starts a good thread. I don't agree with everything he says, but I agree with his overall assessment. Some have debated differences in a reasonable way.

But one poster implies he is a "happy clapper", and talks of "defeatism" and a "lack of ambition". Isn't this what the moderator warned against only the other day?
It's a shame that some of our fans seem determined to attack others just because they have a different point of view

Same kind of thing we had last year from yes voters in the neverendum. Ye Old Hamiltonian may have learned his debating skills there.

Nobody "speaks for the fans" more than anyone else here, and such claims are no more than self-aggrandisement.

Absolutely but this board used to have lots of users who did just that and people were driven away.
Davie Hogg
Seaside Leagues

Postby WILF » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:20 pm

When we win on Saturday it will be interesting to see how this thread develops.

I'm predicting a 4-0 win, Brophy hat trick and Sumsky wonder strike.
WILF
Seaside Leagues

Postby KateBush » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:22 pm

The main difference was Alex Neil. He achieved miracles.
We probably won't see his like again, and should modify our ambitions accordingly.
No one could begrudge Tony his shot at it.
The club is well run, will make mistakes from time to time, but will continue to punch above its weight.
Even from my studio down here, I know the referendum is not pivotal to Accies' fortunes.
Wow, wow, wow, wow, unbelievable Jeff !
KateBush
Pub League

Postby Euan » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:40 pm

Slightly depressed on Monday night; thinking I've seen the last of this fantastic Accies team with Andreu, MAC and Neil gone and rumours of Crawford to Utd after their sales to Celtic.
By morning, I realised I'd probably never have seen Accies beat Celtic at Parkhead to go top of the SPL again anyway!...and that as we were definitely safe from relegation we were in a great position of being able to give our better youth players from the team sitting top of the Development League a chance to develop, without pressure, in the SPL.
I've been wanting to see Brophy in the team more often all season, so now's his chance.
There are other good players there too, although as I don't watch the reserve team I don't know who's most likely to succeed, but it's a great opportunity for them and the Club.
It would still have been good business to have signed Loy or another recognised top player from the 1st Division (it's too silly to call it the championship) as a statement of intent and to bolster the team. £50k from our incoming money may well have guaranteed finishing 5th or 6th, which brings increased financial reward and would have repayed the investment. We may still finish top six anyway.
As a successful local businessman myself I realise that occasionally it's important to spend serious money to grow the business, even if what you have is working. It shows commitment and a desire to be better. Investing in Domes and new training facilities may well be that investment, in a one step back, two steps forward way rather than buying players...I hope so.
Here's to the next Accies stars.
Euan
Premiership

Postby YeOldeHamiltonian » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:56 pm

Hoggy old bean,I was putting the point of view of myself and quite a few others as my Social Media accounts testify.Not debating per say,but highlighting points myself and others have been saying.

Where I differ from you guys is that folk are disheartened by the past month after the euphoria of the Motherwell and St.Johnstone games.People have a "what could have been" feeling rather than the uber positivity on here with no criticism- however mild and justified.

No organisation should be immune from constructive criticism,whether that be a football club or an award winning company.A good wide range of views matters-whether on here or elsewhere.

Only time will tell which approach was the best,but the fact the club were trying for players,showed they know replacements are needed.It's not going to be now,but the fans expect a bit of action in the summer.

Those who folk on here see as sceptics,do so for the same reason I would hope as all of us.Namely to see a winning team,but where we differ is accepting sliding back into mediocrity when a wee bit of ambition could lead to greater rewards.....and not for a huge outlay either.

A Guy on here stated he didn't care about top 6.If that's the case,why is he going to games if he doesn't care.Does he not want Accies to achieve our highest ever SPL position or to equal our BEST ever finish.That line of thinking baffles many as Social Media attests.

Finally,on a funny note You will find I was anything but a Yes voter,but politics is politics and football is football unless folk want to act like The Goon Brigade.Both should be separate.For many,football is a way to forget politics,work,relationships etc etc.
YeOldeHamiltonian
Premiership

Postby Whiskeytown » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:03 pm

Ach Davie, gone off you a bit now with that Yes voters comment. There was bad behaviour from both sides. This comes from the owner of a car with several Yes stickers that got scraped along the side by some nice person. Guess they had a different point of view!
Whiskeytown
Championship

Postby Accies4ever » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:06 pm

I've been critical of Accies the last few days, but my opinions were coloured by the disappointment of losing Neil and Andreu.
I just feel that we're blowing our chance of achieving a top 6 position.

Neil was a surprise (of sorts), but although we all knew that Tony would leave eventually, I think we all felt that would be in the summer.

Couple that with not bringing in any forward players, we have left ourselves short.

The philosophy of the club is excellent and although I feel we're a little too enthusiastic at times to get rid of our star players, the fact that Accies are potentially the biggest pull, for scouts to watch, states volumes about the club and how it's run.

Unlike some clubs (cough!!! Rangers), our directors truly have the club's best interests at heart and always do what they believe is for the advance of Accies. Not only that they don't take a penny for all of their hard work.

The rationale, is living within our means (always) and using what resources we do have the betterment of the club, the community and young Scottish players.

Ask yourself, what other club do you know, does so much with such budget restrictions.
We have the best centre of footballing excellence in Scotland.

The Club of Opportunity, is truly alive and well.
Accies4ever
Championship

Postby Euan » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:06 pm

Davie Hogg wrote:Same kind of thing we had last year from yes voters in the neverendum. Ye Old Hamiltonian may have learned his debating skills there.

As I remember YOH was the most outspoken poster against the Accies and Motherwell fans joint Yes campaigning. I'd assume from that he voted No.
The referendum is last year and introducing it to this debate will only lead to further division on acciesworld, like last year. It's not an Accies issue.
Those of a supportive disposition towards the Accies Board are neither wholly of a Yes or No persuasion but like Scotland, a mix of both (45/55 perhaps). Trying to make out otherwise weakens your good argument, which is a shame.
Euan
Premiership

Postby Alfie Olek » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:08 pm

Finally,on a funny note You will find I was anything but a Yes voter,but politics is politics and football is football unless folk want to act like The Goon Brigade.Both should be separate.For many,football is a way to forget politics,work,relationships etc etc.

Agreed. This forum managed very well throughout without any mention of politics No need to start now
Alfie Olek

Postby Chase Outlaw » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:09 pm

Alexander the Great wrote:
more like Monday night, west brom and Norwich agreed a fee for dorrans only for him to knock them back

After last Saturday’s spirited display at Dundee we thought we would enjoy a period of stability to allow Martin, his staff and new players to settle in. However, we were disrupted yet again when late yesterday afternoon Norwich City tabled an offer for Tony.

As you are all aware we will not deny staff or players the opportunity to improve their circumstances and so it has proven with Tony. The sums received will be reinvested entirely within the club structure to assist us in producing more quality players and to allow us to expand our ever increasing community programs.

Myself and my fellow Directors have never received any remuneration, dividends or expenses in my stewardship of the club and this directorial ethos will not change. All transfer funds will be reinvested to craft the Accies into the very best club we can be.

In conclusion I would thank Tony for his terrific play and goals that have lit up the last twelve months at the club. He has been an admirable player and person for us in all respects. We will wish him every success and we look forward to another “new start” under Martin’s management which has been exemplary throughout this difficult time.

Thank you for your ongoing support.
Ronnie MacDonald
Director
Hamilton Academical
The Club of Opportunity!
Chase Outlaw
Seaside Leagues

Postby WILF » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:58 pm

YeOldeHamiltonian wrote:Hoggy old bean,I was putting the point of view of myself and quite a few others as my Social Media accounts testify.Not debating per say,but highlighting points myself and others have been saying.

Where I differ from you guys is that folk are disheartened by the past month after the euphoria of the Motherwell and St.Johnstone games.People have a "what could have been" feeling rather than the uber positivity on here with no criticism- however mild and justified.

No organisation should be immune from constructive criticism,whether that be a football club or an award winning company.A good wide range of views matters-whether on here or elsewhere.

Only time will tell which approach was the best,but the fact the club were trying for players,showed they know replacements are needed.It's not going to be now,but the fans expect a bit of action in the summer.

Those who folk on here see as sceptics,do so for the same reason I would hope as all of us.Namely to see a winning team,but where we differ is accepting sliding back into mediocrity when a wee bit of ambition could lead to greater rewards.....and not for a huge outlay either.

A Guy on here stated he didn't care about top 6.If that's the case,why is he going to games if he doesn't care.Does he not want Accies to achieve our highest ever SPL position or to equal our BEST ever finish.That line of thinking baffles many as Social Media attests.

The point I'm making is that the top 6 is a depressing target and not worth spending unnecessary money on to maybe have a better chance of reaching it. I'm also not necessarily convinced that Loy or whoever would be such a huge improvement! Scotland was fantastic on Saturday and Brophy is a superb talent. I go to every game wanting and expecting us to win. I pay my money and I really don't feel let down or wronged by the club for not spending money. I buy in to what they believe in and more importantly trust their judgement. Of course criticism is fine when it's warranted, in this case I don't believe it is.

Reaction on "other social media" is neither here nor there in fact cast your mind back to early August and this place was alive with comments like "we've not brought anyone in" "pre-season is awful" "woe is me" etc etc. one extreme to another.

A victory on Saturday and it'll all feel different.
WILF
Seaside Leagues

PreviousNext

Return to The Accies