Motherwell this weekend

Match day discussion, transfers, and all things Accies

Motherwell this weekend

Postby Stodmeister » Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:24 am

Being Accies supporters we all know they have the uncanny act of pulling results out the bag when you least expect it however I just can't see us getting anything at Fir Park and will certainly not get anything from Rangers.

Maybe I'm being a bit of a defeatist but having watched the highlights of the SPFL games we look to be the weakest team in the league. There was some glimmers second half on Saturday but we I think at times we flattered to deceive.

We don't seem to have any leaders on the park and there is a lack of solidity and creativity in midfield. What is our tactics anyway?

Young boy Winter is going to be a good player but he's not ready to start every game and certainly not against Motherwell who are physical by nature. Owolabi must be due some decent game time ,rather than a brief cameo appearance , having scored 35 goals last season , albeit in a lower league, he's someone we can't afford to leave sitting on the bench, he wasn't even in the squad on Saturday. He's got to be fitter than Templeton who the manager played for full 90 minutes on Saturday.

I know it's early days and we've been in relegation fights before but it feels different this season, it looks like men against boys , well I guess it is in most cases.
Stodmeister
Championship

Re: Motherwell this weekend

Postby The Goalie » Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:47 pm

Over the weekend, like probably most of us, I watched a fair few matches, including Livi vs Rangers & Man Utd vs Lyon. In no way am I suggesting that Accies are in the same league as the teams playing in the latter game (obviously as one is an English team and the other French).

But, what I saw in these two games reminded me of watching Accies vs St. Mirren...not because these games were played without fans... but because one team tried to break down a solid defense, as well as, overcome a team of players who knew their positions, as well as coming up against a goalkeeper in excellent form.

It's fair to say that the standard of each player at both Man Utd & Lyon are far greater than the standard we are presently watching from the comforts of our home, pub, etc...Furthermore, this is reflected in the salary these players are paid.

In fairness to our manager, Brian Rice, like the Man Utd manager,both are trying to re-build their respective teams due to players moving on, etc... they have both said to the media that they require new additions to improve their respective squads, however, one manages a team that normally has a full stadium, worldwide fans, Global companies wanting to sponsor their team, etc... in my dreams this team is obviously Accies but hey this is reality not a fairy-tale.

So in reality, Accies are going to struggle each year because of a variety of factors i.e. the majority of the time we are unable to better financial offers being offered by our usual bottom six rivals, playing surface, etc...

HOWEVER, as Accies fans when we look at Livingston we see similarities i.e. playing surface, not a large budget to spend on players, etc...

Unfortunately, for the past two seasons that's where the similarities end (in my humble opinion).

After losing their first two matches against St. Mirren & Hibs, Livingston reverted to what they are known for, namely, being competitive, having a good structure, players fighting for each other, hard to break down, etc... things we used to see when Alex Neil was our manager (I know we were spoiled).

Like Accies, Livi have had a turn-around of players leaving & joining this year BUT the players they have recruited i.e. Alan Forrest (Ayr Utd), etc... don't look out of place, in this league.

I don't know about the rest of my fellow Accies supporters but I struggle to understand why we have not tried to purchase the same players???

Or if we have, then why did they choose Livi over us???

I digress, so this week against Motherwell, like any derby matches form goes out the window. However, for us to have a genuine chance of getting a result we need to revert back to basics, namely, a strong spine from the goalkeeper to the striker, playing players in their actual position rather than trying to put a square peg into a round hole....like a lot of Accies fans, I'm sorry to say Ryan Fulton is a nice guy but we need a goalkeeper that is on par to what we are used to from the likes of Southwood, back to the days of Ricki Ferguson.

A strong solid centre half, Big Brian has stated he does not think he will be back till Oct (all being well), in our situation that is far too long a time to wait, we need someone now again similar to the statue of Canning, McLaughlin, Martin, Fulton, Jamieson, etc...

With regards to midfield, I defy many a team normally around us in the bottom half to lose a player like Gogic and not replace him...yes on Sportscene they highlighted his enthusiasm to close down opposition players even if it meant him running more miles than required.

One of the positives for me last week was the performance of Johnson when he came on getting the better of an experienced defender in Tait.

Hopefully he continues to shine in training and starts, this week.

Likewise, hopefully both Ogie & Moyo start together, as they have shown in previous derbies that they can make a difference.

If you have actually read all of this, well done :D

In conclusion, lets get into this Motherwell scum :evil:
The Goalie
Seaside Leagues

Postby smc4761 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:38 pm

Got to agree with posters before. This year is different apart from the obvious Covid stuff. We are struggling to attract experienced payers to Accies and have a team full of young boys, who in time may come good. but time is not something we have. A loss to Well followed by another against Gers and that will be 5 games, nil points and probably a rather poor goals against.

That leaves the team of young lads probably a tad low on confidence and when confidence goes its good night Vienna. We could do with a leader out there and looking at current squad cant see where that will come from

Its going to be a very long and painful season
smc4761
Premiership

Postby YeOldeHamiltonian » Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:08 am

Haw,The Goalie,are you plagiarizing my post on WAH about Livvy lol?

Fwiw,we must have signed easily 30-50 players in the time Livvy have been in the top League with probably Livvy about half that.

They recruit better in the same market as us: unknown foreign randoms,lower English Leagues,Scottish Championship and SPL squad players.

The money we have wasted on dross in wages/signing on fees easily surpasses Livingston and probably some other bottom six sides.

The scouting and recruitment is abysmal and this year looks the worst yet with the worst midfield in the League by a mile.

I still feel there are goals in this team,but no creative midfielder to provide the chances and no one stepping up to fill the role of Gogic who is badly missed.

Missing this as a family Christening but for the first time in years, my glass half full outlook is now a glass half empty due to terrible recruitment,the wrong tactics/formation and team selection of Rice.

To not even score one goal at home to Ross County and St.Mirren is shocking in itself-never mind the dreadful results.

I don't see a midfield of Martin,Callachan or Trafford matching up to the likes of Turnbull and Campbell etc but stranger things have happened.

No more hopeless punts up to Moyo and drop the likes of young Winter who doesn't look ready yet for this level.

A one off result this weekend will not hide our current frailities;only serious recruitment will do this and not signing dross from The Championship or Sub standard SPL squad players.
YeOldeHamiltonian
Premiership

Postby The Goalie » Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:18 am

Lol YOH

More likely the case of you can take the boy out of the Glebe but you can't take the Glebe out of the boy (YOH will know what I mean :D )

Is there any news on Accies getting another goalkeeper?

Maybe it's wishful thinking but they could be waiting for Reading to make a decision re Southwell?
The Goalie
Seaside Leagues

Postby Stodmeister » Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:48 am

The Goalie wrote:Lol YOH

More likely the case of you can take the boy out of the Glebe but you can't take the Glebe out of the boy (YOH will know what I mean :D )

My grandparents lived in Glebe Crescent as it happens ;)
Stodmeister
Championship

Postby The Goalie » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:44 am

Stodmeister wrote:
The Goalie wrote:Lol YOH

My grandparents lived in Glebe Crescent as it happens ;)

YOH & I are originally from Hillside Crescent...surprisingly there is quite a few Accies supporters past & present who also lived there...better get this back on track re game on Saturday, don't what to be accused of making this an episode of Surprise Surprise :lol:
The Goalie
Seaside Leagues

Postby aldoaccie » Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:34 pm

There’s always hope on a Saturday afternoon being an Accie...you just never know how things will pan out...

FTW.
aldoaccie
Seaside Leagues

Postby TerracingTomas » Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:51 pm

Its a derby and anything can happen. 2 seasons ago in the opening derby at Fir Park we were bossed all over the park and yet a wonder strike from Boyd earned us all 3 points. Last season in the only game played at fir park we outclassed them in the second half and again took 3 points. Motherwell may have one eye on their Europa League tie next week against glentoran so who knows.

This is not a game for some of our young boys because 3 points are vital to kick start the season but given almost a third of the squad have moved up from the youths in the last 12 months its difficult to field a starting 11 who dont include them. We had 11 players out on loan last season. Of that 11, Stanger, Meikle, Slaven,Munro, Hughes and Cunningham are all back and in the first team. Add to that Winter, Mimnaugh jamie hamilton and callum smith (ok hes come from dunfermline but still a youngster) and the balance is all wrong. Throw in the hit and miss recruitment as discussed above and well its not hard to see fans pessimism.

Taking all that into account I'll go 2 - 0 for Hamilton. Moyo and Lewis Smith to score :)
Any future sponsors should contact liningourownpockets@mcgoofeystadium.com
TerracingTomas
Premiership

Postby Bluesy » Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:28 pm

I’d certainly take that. I’d start Ogkmpoe instead of Moyo however
Bluesy
Premiership

Postby TerracingTomas » Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:33 pm

Like I always said Brian Rice is a tactical substitution genius :D :D . The starting line up on paper was probably our strongest 11 with the young players all consigned to the bench so I was happy with that although not sure how the apparent lack of depth and experience coming from the bench would alter the game. Little did I know. First half we did alright and Fulton looked more than solid. Second half I missed the Templeton substitution not sure if he was injured but it was more of the same and it looked as if a 0 - 0 draw was on the cards. Then came the triple substitution with Mimnaugh, Winters and C Smith coming on for 3 of our more experienced players and I must admit I thought Rice was playing for a draw but as our illustrious TV commentators said they brought energy and youthful enthusiasm to the team. We had several chances when it almost seemed easier to score but kept at it and lo and behold Odoffin heads the ball into the back of the net. A very welcome 3 points and on the second half display following the triple substitution well merited. Still got problems, badly need a creative midfielder adn our strikers still firing blanks. Anyway Im going to enjoy the rest of the weekend and look forward to next week. Now all I want is for glentoran to come to Fir park and knock Motherwell out of the Europa Cup :D
Any future sponsors should contact liningourownpockets@mcgoofeystadium.com
TerracingTomas
Premiership

Postby 90mins+ET » Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:41 pm

Happy days. Likewise I'll now enjoy the rest of my weekend.
90mins+ET
Pub League

Postby Begs.hafc » Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:37 pm

Get in there! FTW.
Begs.hafc
Seaside Leagues

Postby smc4761 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:05 pm

Pass me a slice of humble pie please.

Never saw that one coming, even though it was a derby and anything can happen. Fair play to BR and especially the youngsters that came on.

If we can though we do need to bring in some new players, those around us seem to have made their squads better ours is arguably worse than last year

Bring on the other half of the bigot brothers
smc4761
Premiership

Postby Stodmeister » Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:38 pm

smc4761 wrote:Pass me a slice of humble pie please.

Never saw that one coming, even though it was a derby and anything can happen. Fair play to BR and especially the youngsters that came on.

If we can though we do need to bring in some new players, those around us seem to have made their squads better ours is arguably worse than last year

Bring on the other half of the bigot brothers

Me neither but that's Accies for you :D

Well done to all players and staff
Stodmeister
Championship

Return to The Accies