Rice - how much longer does he get?

Match day discussion, transfers, and all things Accies

Rice - how much longer does he get?

Postby Big Wurzil » Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:22 pm

37 games he’s had now with a 24.32 win %, canning was 23.82 in case you were wondering.

Yesterday the team at the bottom had more possession and 16 shots with 5 on target, we had 4 (which I’m toiling to remember more the one) and 1 on target which if memory serves me correct was moyo’s header with 6 minutes to go. Awful

All the things he said at the start about wanting to play football then I’m sorry as I don’t see it. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a defender drop into the box to take a bye kick from the keeper and play from the back. Time after time it’s a launch for McGowan to get a flick on which invariably doesn’t come off and when it does do we win the second ball? No, we just constantly give up possession.

Play out from the back and entice teams on and play through the press. What else are they working on during the week at training because whatever they are doing it isn’t working. If they’re going to persist with the long ball then we need 2 guys who can hold it up and a midfield to be on the front foot more to contest 2nd balls, we’re 2nd best everytime.

And please don’t get carried away by a couple of close defeats by the old firm as they were cruising both games and both times it was a training session. Yes we created a couple of chances but that’s only because they old firm attack down both sides and sometimes leave themselves short on the odd occasion it breaks down. How many times do we open teams up who sit in and don’t over commit? I’ll tell you none of them. How many times yesterday did we do it? Away to livi a couple of weeks back?

The only thing in his defence is he has only had 1 transfer window but when you see who he has brought in then the jury is still very much out on the bulk of them.

After nearly a year we’ve seen more than what we’re getting so might be something to consider a change around now. After the Motherwell game the new guy has 3 weeks to shape the team and maybe bring in a couple of new faces before the Edinburgh game.

I think the dwindling crowds are a sad reflection of where we’re at, and for all the st mirren fans who attended no way was the crowd 38 shy of 2000
Big Wurzil
Championship

Re: Rice - how much longer does he get?

Postby Stevie Clarke » Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:16 pm

Most crowds in this league are a work of fiction especially Celtic, Ross County and us. Every club counts all the season ticket holders. I heard last season that Dundee United dont, whether that's still the case of not I don't know and obviously they're not in our league. New Rangers might be the only honest crowds, as they more or less have a full house each time.

If we lose the next two, it may be harsh just before Christmas, but he has to go. I'd go for Stewart Petrie who continues to do an amazing job at Montrose.
Stevie Clarke
Premiership

Postby smc4761 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:54 pm

Football fans nowadays are a fickle bunch, and I include myself in that. In years gone by managers were given several years to get it right

I was one of the many who wanted shot of Canning (see what I did there!!), the football was dire, crowds were dwindling and we simply could not win. FF almost 12 months and it looks like we have the same situation, even though I believe we have a stronger squad now. I always felt that Rice was the cheap option, very limited experience as a manager, basically Canning mark 2. But we keep losing goals at an alarming rate, we have had 6 players sent off this season, not good when we have such a small squad. Our top scorer is Cunningham with 6, of which I think 5 have come from penalty spot

This season is not going to be our season, we have ridden our luck a bit over past few seasons and we are heading for seaside leagues. Once down its gonna be a hard road back, Partick, Falkirk both Dundee clubs Caley Thistle have all struggled to come back

Will a change of manager help, should we be patient??
smc4761
Premiership

Postby aldoaccie » Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:36 pm

Accies recruitment is akin to each and every series of I’m a Celebrity. Z listers no-one has heard of. The Producers, with no other celebrities on offer, take what they can as, after all, what A thro’ Y celebrity would want to go on the show? Zilch. Nada.

No matter who we employ as a replacement manager (if this was ever an option) or indeed bring in during the transfer window, they will always be nobodies. There is the occasional big Steve, but us Accies fan cling onto anyone with a bit of talent and place them in a lofty pedestal. Such is our want for a new Dylan Kerr.

Rice was the wrong appointment. My view is that he isn’t given any more time. However, what’s the point? I’m an eternal optimist but even I can see where this season is going and no amount of staff changes can or will alter that.

Unless there is a drastic change in the way that the club owners see our wee Lanarkshire club, nothing will ever change. Unless of course, the board offer last years winner of I’m Celebrity, Harry Redknapp, the managers position...
aldoaccie
Seaside Leagues

Postby Yummy Fur » Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:41 pm

aldoaccie wrote:Unless there is a drastic change in the way that the club owners see our wee Lanarkshire club, nothing will ever change.

What drastic change would you like to see?
Yummy Fur
Seaside Leagues

Postby TerracingTomas » Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:55 pm

If you asked me at the end of last season would we be having this conversation on the forum I would have laughed. Brian seemed to have worked wonders with Cannings’ squad and I was looking forward to a summer in which he could reshape the squad and kick on up the league. I wanted to see us on average in a respectable 7/8 position throughout the season. Mailtand didn't see progress in terms of league position but in points bagged. 40 I think was the figure he suggested. Either way it aint happening so should he go? Results are there for all to see and the performances of late have been dire. The squad is not better than last year with some individual exceptions. He cant IMO opinion lay all the blame on others. Too often he has been in the Advertiser telling us he watched the player or one of his many contacts gave him the heads up resulting in Mckeena, Fjortoft, von Williams. Reallly :oops: However given our director’s track behaviour with regard to managers I dont think it matters what we think. Martin was seen by a majority of fans as the wrong appointment from the start yet it took nearly 4 years for the Board to change it. Martin’s perceived failure to embrace ‘yuf’ and in the last few months of his tenure fans disappearing like thawing snow of a dyke wall sealed his fate. No one can accuse Brian of not embracing ‘yuf’. From giving our young players an opprtunity and bringing in individuals like Beck or Collar he is doing what the Directors want so I think whatever league we are in next season he will still be there. Mind you crowd figures are IMO going down in recent weeks. Taking out the Midden fans yesterday I think our home support was supposed to be about 1100. I have my doubts. Just looking around me there were significant gaps in season ticket holders and there were at least 2 big school parties (Good to see) in the stand which would add numbers and if that continues perhaps just perhaps the directors will act.
Any future sponsors should contact liningourownpockets@mcgoofeystadium.com
TerracingTomas
Premiership

Postby aldoaccie » Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:05 pm

Yummy Fur wrote:
aldoaccie wrote:Unless there is a drastic change in the way that the club owners see our wee Lanarkshire club, nothing will ever change.

What drastic change would you like to see?

Investment.
aldoaccie
Seaside Leagues

Postby porcupine » Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:21 pm

Was BR not given a 2.5 year contract? If so, it's a heavy pay-off for a club already scraping bye without big gate receipts or inverstors with deep pockets.

Of course I forgot, did we not have a £750K sponsorship deal from the latest stadium named FOY people? :(
porcupine
Premiership

Postby TerracingTomas » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:23 pm

Indeed Porcupine its a 2.5 year deal. Aside from the bounty that Foys will bring us (Not) there’s the latest sponsorship deal from Niro Vodka but wait that money is to be split between the ‘Yuf’ and “our wonderful charity” Blameless. So sorry Brian you will need to keep working for us. The first team biscuit tin is empty.
Any future sponsors should contact liningourownpockets@mcgoofeystadium.com
TerracingTomas
Premiership

Return to The Accies