2ND HALF ADVANTAGE?

Match day discussion, transfers, and all things Accies

2ND HALF ADVANTAGE?

Postby Double Decker » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:59 pm

Do we give the opposition an advantage when they shoot towards their own fans in the 2nd half of home games. Accies seem to concede this as the teams seldom change ends after the pre match coin toss.
Double Decker
Pub League

Re: 2ND HALF ADVANTAGE?

Postby Thethirdproclaimer » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:31 pm

In all competitions;

P17, W11, D2, L4

So I'd say no, we don't.
Thethirdproclaimer

Postby monkeybones » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:19 am

We totally give the away teams a fresh pair of legs in the second half because of this. I watch game after game where it happens.
I've even spoken to a couple of away players that say they look forward to second halves at ndp for this reason!
We have an odd stadium and this is a real advantage and we don't use it. Crazy. Isolate our keeper and their strikers from their fans in the second half......
monkeybones
Seaside Leagues

Postby ggr » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:44 am

Given that we've done this for many years I can only assume that the players like it that way.
Also, given the importance of not losing the first goal, this could be seen as a good strategy. It seems to work for us.
ggr
Pub League

Postby Thethirdproclaimer » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:29 am

I guess nobody reads the stats then. Clear proof that whether the opposition players prefer it or not, we've still got a great record at home this season.

The same players probably put their socks on last, touch the line on the way out and think pre-match routines affect how they play. If they paid as much attention to their training regimes they might get somewhere instead of worrying about superstitious nonsense.
Thethirdproclaimer

Postby monkeybones » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:09 am

You don't win football matches in the first half.

Not a superstition thing at all. It's having hundreds of people shouting at you thing.
monkeybones
Seaside Leagues

Postby Thethirdproclaimer » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:48 pm

Ok. Facts are obviously not working for you!
Thethirdproclaimer

Postby monkeybones » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:00 pm

A sample size that you have quoted is not enough in analysis or research. Im sure you know that? We have lost the last 3 home games if you want to look at small stat sizes. That would totally sink your argument. However that too is too small a sample. Remember we may have won games but conceded goals at that end in the second half in the process of winning.

Our record at home overall has been good this season as we have played well but when it gets tight and you go off form, this direction issue is significant..i.e - now. Also ask away players as I have done. Away teams are buoyed knowing they have that 2nd half boost to look forward to.

Away players love shooting into that goal in the second half with their fans.
monkeybones
Seaside Leagues

Postby monkeybones » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:07 pm

Oh and another thing. Ask anyone that's ever watched football this question. - Its a penalty shoot out in a cup match. Which end do you want them to take them at? Which end 'might' give your team an advantage?
monkeybones
Seaside Leagues

Postby Whiskeytown » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:28 pm

Penalty shoot outs are another matter and clearly irrelevant here. What about the boost it gives Accies attacking the occupied end in the first half and what about our poor record, not just this season, of not coming back after losing the first goal? I'm happy with our home record the past couple of seasons to see that it is not really worth bothering about. There will be the odd game where it will catch us out but hey ho! You weren't saying anything about it a few weeks ago.
Whiskeytown
Championship

Postby monkeybones » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:45 pm

Actually I was.

I have already raised this subject on this board before. The larger the crowd the tougher it is as well.
monkeybones
Seaside Leagues

Postby Thethirdproclaimer » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:10 pm

Fair enough. I just think it's not worth bothering about in the slightest. And obviously Motherwell, St Mirren, Inverness, Hearts, Hibs, Dundee, Raith, Kilmarnock etc don't either, since they have the away team shooting towards their own fans in the 2nd half as well.
Thethirdproclaimer

Postby monkeybones » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:30 pm

I will refer you back up the post. We have an odd ground with no support at one end and almost never any along one side. Pretty much unique. Also many of those other clubs have slopes to be considered. As I have said, speak to players they can tell you about each ground and how it plays. They like the 2nd half at NDP. Every club uses its grounds 'uniques' to help. We don't.
monkeybones
Seaside Leagues

Postby Thethirdproclaimer » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:41 pm

Haha, I think we should agree to differ!
Thethirdproclaimer

Return to The Accies