Home V St Mirren - Match Thread

Match day discussion, transfers, and all things Accies

Re: Home V St Mirren - Match Thread

Postby smc4761 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:06 pm

Bottom line is if we win today think we are just about there. A draw will make it a bit squeaky bum time and a loss, think we will finish 11th and lose play off.

So BR no pressure
smc4761
Premiership

Postby Robin Hood » Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:27 pm

porcupine wrote:McArthur & McArthy Lounge indicated open from 12.30. Nothing special, but better than zero. Main door entry for that.
Enjoy the game & safe drive home.

Thanks, Having a few in the Vault
Robin Hood
Pub League

Postby smc4761 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:48 pm

Just seen team line ups. Surely not a game of this magnitude for young Mimnaugh. Think he has only played a few times for first team and up against a fairly experienced St Midden midfield. 30 minutes before we have first effort on target. Seaside leagues here we come
smc4761
Premiership

Postby TerracingTomas » Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:37 pm

Downward spiral stopped, St Mirren don’t get that psychological win before the split reducing the gap to one and Dundee lose. I‘ll take that thank you. Poor first half from both teams although St Mirren had the better of it. Mind you we could have gone in 1 up as Oakley was unlucky not to score. Second half I think both teams had a go.great goal from an Andreu pass and Davies strike but Ziggy undid a lot of sterling work by sticking a leg out in the box and allowing a Saints player to fall for their penalty. Not convinced there was contact but doesn’t matter. As has been said this was not a game for Mimnaugh and while he wasn’t a disaster he was part of a largely anonymous midfield until Andreu came on. With Davies back and also Oggie now available we certainly have forward options but midfield is still a huge problem. Still I’ve regained some optimism. oh and Berwick losing 6 - 0 means we no longer have the worst goal difference in Britain.
Any future sponsors should contact liningourownpockets@mcgoofeystadium.com
TerracingTomas
Premiership

Postby porcupine » Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:48 pm

Let's not forget about Scott Martin who IMO made a big difference when he came on. Subbing Miller was the correct deceision as he was so keen to be involved that a second yellow was more than likely. And don't forget aboout that wonder save near the end, from the Saints keeper from a terrific George Oakley strike, and would have given us all three points.

We were poor in the first half, so much better in the second, but a drwa was probably a fair result for both teams, even though we needed all three for a margin of safety.

Dundee have gone... they need 7 points from 15 available, just to level with us, albeit they have a better goal difference. We SHOULD pick up something in the SPLIT from St Midden or Dundee. Not convinced there will be anything from 'Well, Livvy, or ST J.

Play-off's are still a real possibility, though.
porcupine
Premiership

Postby TerracingTomas » Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:58 pm

We have only lost once at home since Brian took over Porcupine and that was Rangers so I think we can take something from our 3 home games but I agree the play offs are a real possibility.
TerracingTomas
Premiership

Postby Big Wurzil » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:27 pm

Utter dire

Have we progressed under rice errrrrrrrr definitely no.

Shitebag footy, players not showing or wanting the ball under pressure an when they do get on the ball then they go negative and go back or launch it, utter utter shite

St mirren should’ve been out of sight on chances created.
Big Wurzil
Championship

Postby Big Wurzil » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:34 pm

Miller doesn’t deserve a start.

Far too lightweight and gets brushed off far too easily
Big Wurzil
Championship

Postby Alty accie » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:44 pm

Big Wurzil wrote:Utter dire

Shitebag footy, players not showing or wanting the ball under pressure an when they do get on the ball then they go negative and go back or launch it, utter utter shite

SPOT ON :x
Alty accie
Seaside Leagues

Postby YeOldeHamiltonian » Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:11 am

Big Wurzil wrote:Utter dire

Four of the St.Mirren chances first half came through defensive mistakes by us and not good play by them.

It was a game where our non existent midfield was shown up and this isn't the fault of Brian Rice as unlike Oran Kearney/Jim McIntyre he wasn't able to change this as was left with Canning's dross.

The time to really judge him is after he brings him his own players although I feel he plays too narrow and this has led to defeats when teams have went 2v1.

Main mission is to stay up however we can and then I reckon there will be a few changes in personnel;remember Canning said this was "the strongest squad he has had" which highlights how deluded he was.

Fwiw,if we still had Templeton,Lewis Ferguson,Crawford and Greg Docherty we wouldn't be in this position.
YeOldeHamiltonian
Premiership

Postby Robin Hood » Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:56 am

Morning All, Had great day ...
Easy getting train from Glasgow to Hamilton, Had a few beers in the Vault (Thanks Porcupine (( any significance to Echo and the Bunnymen?)) .
The lady behind the bar was lovely, walked the long way round the road to Ground with Chip's n Curry from across the road from Vault,
Got our tickets and had few drinks in bar at ground, Had a nice chat with George Oakleys Dad
Was impressed with the St away support 1700
Enjoy a tense game Ziggy was great at the back, thought the young lad Reegan Mimmaugh looks a very exciting prospect, what a save at the end from St keeper .
Walked back to the Vault after game along path by the train track , watched the G National
All in All had a Fantastic Day and will be back asap
Robin Hood
Pub League

Postby Big Wurzil » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:11 am

For all the criticism surrounding Mimnaugh I think people are being a bit harsh.

He’s the only player, the only player in our team that looks to keep it on deck and to find a pass when in possession, that on occasion may lead to a stray pass now and then but I’d rather that than watch seasoned players constantly shell a hopeful ball down the line or through the middle.

The amount of misplaced passes by other players yesterday was criminal and i can hardly remember mimnaugh being guilty of any of them.

Was it not young mimnaugh keeping the ball on the left which led to Andreu’s cross for the goal?
Big Wurzil
Championship

Postby TerracingTomas » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:21 am

Utter dire

Are we playing slick passing football with the midfield creating chance after chance for our forwards to score while our defence now reminds us of the Rock of Gibraltar errr definately not Wurzil so cant disagree with you there. What I’m thankful for is the 11 points in Rice’s 10 games compared to the 4 I think Martin accumulated in his last 10. Without those points we would be lucky to be sitting on the same points total as Dundee if Canning had stayed.Aside from martins lack of managerial/coaching skills we are really seeing the deficiences in the squad and where Rice has tried to improve the style of football with the current crop its more likely to lead to the humpings we have seen in between results. I just want to see us survive this year and for the season to come to an end ASAP. Cant remember one where I have less enjoyed the product. Next year after what will be a major squad rebuild again I expect (No actually demand) a better product on the field and Ill judge the success of the Rice era then.
TerracingTomas
Premiership

Postby aldoaccie » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:41 am

Wasn’t a joy to watch. I’m sure that we’d all have taken the days results before the game kicked off, but gutting that we didn’t sneak it at the end. That goal would have made us safe.

We need to beat scumwell, even if just for bragging rights!!
aldoaccie
Seaside Leagues

Postby Stevie Clarke » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:42 am

It's a shame we can't seem to attract loan players from the likes of Brighton* ( Dreyer, perhaps the best player on the pitch). Hopefully Rice won't think a player not good enough for fourth tier Grimsby is somehow good enough for us.

I don't know what the issue is with Andreu, maybe still finding his way back after two bad injuries, but his best displays have been off the bench - St Johnstone and yday. Set up two goals in very similar ways. And yes, Mimnaugh was involved in the build up to the goal.

*Should have added "and Dinamo Bucharest", another one of their better players, Popescu.
Stevie Clarke
Premiership

Postby Swift Frank » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:09 pm

Dukla Pumpherston is about Accies level for loan players.
Also,referring to the penultimate poster, I couldn't give a monkey's about "bragging rights" v Motherwell.
Only interested in the 3 points.
Although I won't raise my expectations if yesterday's 1st half performance is anything to go by.
Was that really the so called new open, attacking,"fearless" way of playing inspired by Rice?
Not from where I was sitting it wasn't.
It could have just as easily been Canning's side as I didn't see one iota of difference.
That 1st half reminded me of the home defeat to Dundee earlier in the season where we just sat off them and let them play out from the back.
Under no pressure from us.No high pressing at all.
A joke.
That oh so familiar Canning trait of losing points from a winning position has obviously continued with Rice and I fear the worst, starting with Motherwell.
Swift Frank
Team Mascot

Postby Tumbleweed.. » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:54 am

And what about the second half SF?
On the outskirts of nowhere, on the ring road to somewhere, on the verge of indecision, I'll always take the roundabout way.
Tumbleweed..
Seaside Leagues

Postby porcupine » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:07 am

TerracingTomas wrote:We have only lost once at home since Brian took over Porcupine and that was Rangers so I think we can take something from our 3 home games but I agree the play offs are a real possibility.

That's a good point you make about our home record since BR took over. The draw is as favourable as it could have been with the two teams below us Away and all three above at Home. We DO need to take care of our own results however and not be relying on either St M or Dee to maintain their poor form.

Usual Accies end of season cliffhanger. :roll: :roll:
porcupine
Premiership

Postby porcupine » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:37 am

And just had a look at the St Mirren Penaly award. This looks a dive to me, having seen it a few times, but the ref bought it.
porcupine
Premiership

Postby TerracingTomas » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:12 pm

And what about the second half SF?

You will need to wait Tumbleweed until he has watched the second half on BBC Alba catch up ;)
TerracingTomas
Premiership

PreviousNext

Return to The Accies