Honeymoon Is Over

Match day discussion, transfers, and all things Accies

Honeymoon Is Over

Postby YeOldeHamiltonian » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:59 pm

That team selection starting the game was as bad as any during the Canning era.

Playing a young boy totally out his depth last week as a Sub-from the start beggars belief as anyone there last week could see he is miles away from this level.

Naive in the extreme,both Gogic and Martin should have started to keep it tight for the first hour and where was Steve Davies?

We will put today off as a learning curve but make no mistake,playing the same team verses Aberdeen and Motherwell will lead to another two thrashings.

Let's hope he has learned his lesson, although I have my suspicions Les Gray or Ronnie McDonald picked that team or told him to start Minnmaugh-who isn't even the best of the kids and the least physically strong enough yet for this level.
Last edited by YeOldeHamiltonian on Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
YeOldeHamiltonian
Premiership

Re: Honeymoon Is Over

Postby Tumbleweed.. » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:06 pm

Not sure he ever had a honeymoon. He was rightly given credit for a battling draw versus Dundee and a terrific win against St Johnstone. He was then rightly criticised after last weeks poor first half, then given credit for a much better second half (particularly by the travelling support). He will rightly be criticised for an all round poor display and team selection today. I was disappointed however when he said afterwards he would pick the same team again if he was given the chance, as it was clear that the midfield was over-run in the first half and although he took steps to change it at half-time, it was far too late.

I am still happy we disposed of Canning's services and have sympathy with the situation that Rice finds himself in, given he is on a learning curve both in the job and on the job. Today was a big disappointment but we need to have faith that he will have enough ability and nous to keep us up, starting on Wednesday evening.
On the outskirts of nowhere, on the ring road to somewhere, on the verge of indecision, I'll always take the roundabout way.
Tumbleweed..
Seaside Leagues

Postby Big Wurzil » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:28 pm

Gogic and Martin didn’t make that much of a difference in the 2nd half, they could easily have scored the same amount in the 2nd half as they did in the first. I was glad mimnaugh started as he’ll have learned loads in that 45 minutes.
Big Wurzil
Championship

Postby smc4761 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:54 pm

Strange choice playing the young lad who did Ok but did look out of his depth, which to be fair is hardly surprising

On the plus side thought 2nd half was a better display, although it could not have gotten any worse

Is Davies injured, surprised he was not playing
smc4761
Premiership

Postby Stevie Clarke » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:09 pm

To be fair, Rice did state in his BT interview "I'll take the blame for that. I'll take that on the chin. I maybe set it up wrong" .
Stevie Clarke
Premiership

Postby Euan » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:36 pm

Selection was surprising, too attacking with no significant bite in midfield.
We also missed Davies ability to hold up the ball in attack.
Hoped for the best but after 15 minutes it was obviously not working, changes would have been harsh but were necessary at that stage...3 minutes later it was too late.
I was missing a family birthday party to attend so left at that point and heard the cheer for the third on my way across the car park...good choice on my part but can’t comment on the rest of the game.
Euan
Premiership

Postby Stevie Clarke » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:39 pm

Not a word about Davies's absence on Accies twitter. Nothing like keeping your fans informed.
Stevie Clarke
Premiership

Postby Swift Frank » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:47 pm

We have gone from one extreme to another
From a boring fart of a Manager that was the jumper.
To a seemingly carefree and dare I say irresponsible Head Coach Rice.
It's one thing being attacking and optimistic.
But come on!
That was embarrassing!
Swift Frank
Team Mascot

Postby Scotty Tunbridge » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:24 pm

At least it was a good day for the Mimnaugh family members instagrams if nothing else.

Yet again no midfield, McMillan could rival Sam Kelly for worst signing of the season, Andreu still a million miles off the pace, McGowan horrendous again but will get away with it since he’s funny on Twitter.

Rice wasn’t a great appointment to begin with as we all know but as soon as you tell these potential 50 applicants they need to work with a director of football who probably has the final say in any signing and that Ronnie and Les will make you give 17 year olds their starting debut at home to the second best team in the country that number of applicants goes down to about 3 IMO.

Anyway hopefully he can turn it round. It was time for Canning to go, but the scoreline would have been much more respectable with him at the helm today.
Last edited by Scotty Tunbridge on Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scotty Tunbridge
Championship

Postby Swift Frank » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:52 pm

Very good points made.^^^^^
The previous Man in the Jumper may well have kept the score a bit more respectable.
But on the flip side I'm quite sure Rice wouldn't take 3 goes at overcoming Annan.
Swings and Roundabouts.
Swift Frank
Team Mascot

Postby Bluesy » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:19 am

I would have taken a draw against Dundee, win against St Johnstone and 2 defeats if offered with Canning in charge.

Yesterday was really bad (I arrived at 3-0 so perhaps didn't see the worst of it) however I think we need to give him one or two games like this.

I still honestly preferred that to the one nil at Ibrox earlier this season when we continually wasted time and made no effort to go forward at all.

A happy medium is the answer although I agree that McMillan doesn't look good and Minmaugh needs to either bulk up a bit or be a floater in a different formation (like Ali Crawford at his best).

In summary - crap yesterday but bigger picture is still much better as long as he learns.

PS - Lewis Smith looks much more of a unit than Minmaugh and I would have him instead of McMillan any day.
Bluesy
Premiership

Postby Beardy » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:00 am

Certainly the shine and good will from the first couple of games has started to tarnish a bit. Probably one of the worst performances across the whole field there. The young lad Minmaugh was totally out of his depth and never looked like he knew where he needed to be - dunno, maybe there was no expectation to take anything from this game so send out the young blood to gain experience and enjoy a steep learning curve, danger being that such a first half pumping can shred confidence. Miller covered the miles harrying and chasing but never looked like creating anything. The defence for the second goal were MIA. Only real positive I took from the game was Rice's post match interview, no looking to offload blame on the (shit) ref, credit to the rangers for outplaying us and a clear statement of intent to play attacking, passing football , which was sadly lacking today.
I like the way Rice talks, I like what he is saying & I hope he can forge the players he has available to him into a pass and move attacking team. Here's to the end of hoofball!
Beardy
Seaside Leagues

Postby really? » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:39 pm

Steve Davies was injured in training.
really?
Seaside Leagues

Postby Stevie Clarke » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:16 pm

really? wrote:Steve Davies was injured in training.

Was this mentioned anywhere? Accies Twitter just covered McMann and Taiwo's
absences.
Stevie Clarke
Premiership

Postby really? » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:19 pm

Steve Davies mentioned it to me.
really?
Seaside Leagues

Postby Big Wurzil » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:45 pm

What did he say ?