All the summer signings – I think

Match day discussion, transfers, and all things Accies

All the summer signings – I think

Postby TerracingTomas » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:26 pm

Well that's the transfer window closed with a resounding bang from the Club on the last day. I make it 16 signings. Of course one has already left viz. Philips.

I think it’s fair to say that the initial batch of signings arriving prior to pre season training were greeted very positively. The club has then topped that with an astonishing deadline day and evidence of cash splashed. For once Accies seemed to have got their act together and implemented a recruitment strategy that has brought in a mixture of experience and potential. It’s still early and a few have just arrived but after 4 league cup games and 3 league games I’ve classified the signings as No, Maybe and Yes in terms of success. In no particular order and apologies if I have missed anyone

Adam Phillips, midfielder, Norwich on loan. Obviously a No as he’s gone already.
Leonard Sowah, defender - Wasn't overly excited by this one based on previous experience. Still not convinced so he’s a Maybe for me.
Aaron McGowan, defender – a resounding Yes from me. Already a fans favourite and still got room for improvement.
Sam Kelly – Brings a bit of experience. I’m going Yes but that might change in time.
Aaron Smith, midfielder – Made a brief appearance as a sub against Stenhousemuir and I saw a little bit of what perhaps attracted the club but whatever has happened he and the club are clearly not a fit. It's a No.
Tom Taiwo, midfielder – another bit of experience. A Yes so far.
Mason Bloomfield, striker – A big raw laddy. Can score in the reserves and we do need strikers but unconvinced. Give him the benefit of the doubt and a Maybe.
Alex Penny, defender – Looks the part but his inexperience has shown through. Don't expect him to feature much. No for me
Kieran Monlouis, midfield – A specualtive punt by Accies. Haven’t seen enough so say so have to go with a doubtful Maybe.
Jacob Marsden, goalie – Another speculative punt. Haven’t seen him at all and don't expect to if our other 2 keepers remain fit. Maybe
Delphin Tshiembe – defender. Didn't see him against Celtic but reports are favorable so Yes for the time being.
Scott Martin, midfielder – Never quite made it at Hibs but at 21 clearly has potential. Seems well rated but a Maybe until we see him on the park.
Matt Kilgallon, defender – Wow we got him. An excellent signing and could be an ideal partner for Tshiembe so a Yes even though I haven’t seen him.
James Keatings, forward. At 26 he should be at his peak. His CV of Scottish clubs is impressive but apart from a short loan spell at St Johnstone he has never actually played in the Premiership. A Maybe until we can see if he can score in this league.
Fredrik Brustad, forward – Didn't see that one coming. Has played in Norway and Sweden. 15 goals in 65 appearances for Molde. Again a Maybe until I see him play.
Ziggy Gordon – Another experienced defender but being played out of position. Cant see him replacing McGowan and given other signings not sure where he is going to be played. A Yes obviously but I can see him away in January if he isn’t getting game time.
Last edited by TerracingTomas on Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Any future sponsors should contact liningourownpockets@mcgoofeystadium.com
TerracingTomas
Premiership

Re: All the summer signings – I think

Postby smc4761 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:07 pm

Well on paper it looks like we have made some decent signings, Kilgannon for me is the standout. Highly experienced player playing at a decent level for most of his career. Just hope he is not over the hill, but given he was Bradfords player of year last year, he should still be decent. This will hopefully help the young lads in defence

Keatings brings decent experience and did OK for us first time around

Brustad, it bit left field with that one, but playing for Molde, has a decent pedigree

Taiwo bags of experience maybe help the younger midfielders through games

Tshiembe, big bit of a laddy an again played a decent level

So some decent experience now along with the youngsters coming through.

We were hopeful prior to league cup but that quickly disappeared. Lets hope we can build on Motherwell result.

But trying to blend in so many new players, could be another rollercoaster of a season
smc4761
Premiership

Postby Scotty Tunbridge » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:28 pm

TerracingTomas wrote:not counting the 2 additions to the under 20 squad, Jack Breen and Robbie Crawford.

Jack Breen and Robbie Crawford signed last season :oops: Crawford left in November, Breen is still here. We did sign a boy from Brighton for the 20s this season but not much was made of it. Hamish Morrison?
Scotty Tunbridge
Championship

Postby accies1874 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:44 pm

Let's see the new guys before we get excited, as folk were losing their minds before the Betfred Cup, then losing their minds in a different way before the league campaign even started.
accies1874
Premiership

Postby TerracingTomas » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:00 pm

Sorted just for you Scotty :)
TerracingTomas
Premiership

Postby porcupine » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:44 pm

And Brustad is 6ft 3", playing up front for Accies, with half a season already under his belt. :o Should be an interesting addition tomorrow, if cleared internationally by kick-off :D :D
porcupine
Premiership

Postby Tumbleweed.. » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:25 pm

I said after the Celtic game I was quietly optimistic for the next few games and that continues after todays pleasant surprises. I genuinely hope we can push on and watch decent football give us some decent results, hopefully starting tomorrow. Big guy little guy up front maybe and as I liked Keatings the last time, I hope he can do us a turn now. Strange feeling to sign players we have heard of :D
On the outskirts of nowhere, on the ring road to somewhere, on the verge of indecision, I'll always take the roundabout way.
Tumbleweed..
Seaside Leagues

Postby Willie Wastle » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:35 pm

Stanger?

Garcia?

Not sure that's everyone, but however you count it, it's been the most astonishing summer of recruitment ever.

Now Martin Canning's challenge is to find a winning XI from that lot, the handful of survivors of last season, and the young lads coming through.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm finding it very exciting.
sic a wife as Willie had, I wadna gie a button for her!
Willie Wastle
Premiership

Postby YeOldeHamiltonian » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:49 pm

The boy Brustad played two weeks ago in Russia v Zenit St.Petersburg and is the one who excites me as he could be what we need up top.

I reckon some of the Under 21's may go out on loan and would not be surprised to see Bloomfield,Penney,Smith returning down South in January.

Here is The Norwegian striker:

https://youtu.be/lszoHnDjq9Y
YeOldeHamiltonian
Premiership

Postby TerracingTomas » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:50 pm

I didn’t include Stanger and Garcia cos they signed last January and for the time being they seem to be featuring in the Reserves. stanger in particular is looking good though.
TerracingTomas
Premiership

Postby Willie Wastle » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:40 am

TerracingTomas wrote:I didn’t include Stanger and Garcia cos they signed last January and for the time being they seem to be featuring in the Reserves. stanger in particular is looking good though.

Apologies, TT. Didn't realise they'd both come in January.
sic a wife as Willie had, I wadna gie a button for her!
Willie Wastle
Premiership

Postby YeOldeHamiltonian » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:15 pm

Think we can say Taiwo,Penney,Smith,Kelly and Bloomfield are not pulling up any trees and are no better than the young lads in the reserves.

Templeton,Docherty,Skondras and to a lesser extent, Crawford are the main misses for me as this team is devoid of creativity;Boyd tries hard but they are big shoes to fill.
YeOldeHamiltonian
Premiership

Postby Big Wurzil » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:58 pm

Drivel.

The bulk of them drivel, players who no one else wants because they are.......you spell it out

Skondras still without a club for those interested.
Big Wurzil
Championship

Postby Gav » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:23 pm

Skondras was ok but no better than that and his attitude was awful.

If he is our best option we are doomed.
Gav
Championship

Postby Bluesy » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:39 pm

[quote="YeOldeHamiltonian"]Think we can say Taiwo,Penney,Smith,Kelly and Bloomfield are not pulling up any trees and are no better than the young lads in the reserves.

Well exactly!

Lewis Smith PLEASE
Bluesy
Premiership

Postby YeOldeHamiltonian » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:31 am

Gav wrote:Skondras was ok but no better than that and his attitude was awful.

If he is our best option we are doomed.

We may be doomed if we persist with some of the dross we have signed;a right back called Skondras had more attacking prowess than every midfielder who has played this season for us.
YeOldeHamiltonian
Premiership

Return to The Accies