Accies .V. St.Johnstone - MATCH THREAD

Old match day threads will be moved here

Re: Accies .V. St.Johnstone - MATCH THREAD

Postby Willie Wastle » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:51 am

Gav wrote:Dont think we have clearance for Kilgallon or Brustad yet.

Ah! Good point.

Want and Miller/Bingham to keep their places then?
sic a wife as Willie had, I wadna gie a button for her!
Willie Wastle
Premiership

Postby Euan » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:34 am

Murray Davidson ruled out, which is good news for us.
They’ve brought in Callaghan, who scored here for Hearts and Swanson who fought here previously.
Euan
Premiership

Postby YeOldeHamiltonian » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:23 pm

Willie Wastle wrote:

Ah! Good point.

Hopefully Want keeps his place as he can learn from the likes of Kilgallon.
YeOldeHamiltonian
Premiership

Postby Willie Wastle » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:49 pm

YeOldeHamiltonian wrote:
Willie Wastle wrote:

Ah! Good point.

Hopefully Want keeps his place as he can learn from the likes of Kilgallon.

Fair point, but who drops out? Ziggy? Delph?
Willie Wastle
Premiership

Postby Swift Frank » Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:40 pm

Looks like the jinx goes on .....
What a load of fkn tripe !

No 1 rule. If you can't win games,
MAKE SURE YOU DONT FKN LOSE THEM !
Swift Frank
Team Mascot

Postby TerracingTomas » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:47 pm

All over the ship really. I lost the will to live . Boyd cost us the first goal. He collected the ball from a failed saints free kick but then didn’t know what to do with it and lost it again (If in doubt kick it out). I can see why Livingston didn’t utilise him. I know Bingham scored but no one covered themselves in glory today. Happy 10 th anniversary Martin by the way :(
Any future sponsors should contact liningourownpockets@mcgoofeystadium.com
TerracingTomas
Premiership

Postby Willie Wastle » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:58 pm

Disappointing.

I'm going to hold off before commenting further. Cool heads and all that...
Willie Wastle
Premiership

Postby YeOldeHamiltonian » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:10 pm

There are three certainties in life:death,taxes and Accies making a Castlemaine XXXX to lose against St.Johnstone as per f...in usual.

St.Johnstone did their homework,stopping McGowan(not a patch on Skondras) and McMann getting any joy down the wing and we played into their physical trap and unsurprisingly lost the game after two defensive errors.

Taiwo proved he is a Championship player and Sam Kelly and Imrie were to put it mildly,"ineffective" coming off the bench.

Before the signings,I thought the real problem in the team was the lack of creativity in midfield and that is still the case.Aaron Smith-who and where is he as no-one knows if he is any good and we have to hope the new boy from Hibs adds in this department.

Up front,Bingham and Miller did well with the scraps they had and would do better with more creativity behind them.
YeOldeHamiltonian
Premiership

Postby Swift Frank » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:18 pm

Didn't take very long for the Deadline Day feel good factor to evaporate did it?.......
Swift Frank
Team Mascot

Postby Bomber Harris » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:26 pm

Clownzo out
Fat Alan has left the building. Cheers ta pirate
Bomber Harris
Premiership

Postby porcupine » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:12 pm

YeOldeHamiltonian wrote:There are three certainties in life:death,taxes and Accies making a Castlemaine XXXX to lose against St.Johnstone as per f...in usual.

St.Johnstone did their homework,stopping McGowan(not a patch on Skondras) and McMann getting any joy down the wing and we played into their physical trap and unsurprisingly lost the game after two defensive errors.

Taiwo proved he is a Championship player and Sam Kelly and Imrie were to put it mildly,"ineffective" coming off the bench.

Before the signings,I thought the real problem in the team was the lack of creativity in midfield and that is still the case.Aaron Smith-who and where is he as no-one knows if he is any good and we have to hope the new boy from Hibs adds in this department.

Up front,Bingham and Miller did well with the scraps they had and would do better with more creativity behind them.

That just about sums it up. Midfield missing, as far as creativity concerned. Bingham & Miller had no real service. Boyd?? Where do I start? Looks out of his depth. Brushed off the ball easily, and, as already said, just had to put the ball out for a shy, but decides through inexperience to try to hold it whilst on the ground with two St J players beside him. Why he stayed on with any/all of the three subs MC made, I can't be the only one scratching my head. And then putting Tshiembe into the midfield after Sowah came on???????

St J were a well organised, bigger team, and deserved the three points. For us to have stolen a draw at the end would have been a travesty. Only hope is that with others yet to play, we might find a midfield capable of feeding our forwards. Miller still impresses me however, but does MC see that?
porcupine
Premiership

Postby Tumbleweed.. » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:24 pm

Absolutely classic Accies - build up our positivity with an organised defensive display last week at Celtic Park, put a cherry on that with a terrific transfer deadline day to have us all skipping down to NDP with happy beaming smiles this afternoon to see the new super-strength Accies destroy St Johnstone led by our cuddly commander-in-chief Martin 'Canzo' Canning, a 10 year veteran of the struggle and an all round good egg - only to then destroy that feelgood factor by letting him take an absolutely massive toley on the pitch, putting an Accies top on it and making it play St Johnstone. Itself.

It was a nice gesture of him to have the team put on a defensive blunder-filled display to let the new players see just how average they have to play to be a massive improvement, but he could just have explained it !! I hope Kilgallon didn't take one look at his defensive colleagues and head back down to Yorkshire at top speed. The first goal was an absolute embarrassment, so many chances to clear it after Boyd decided to have a complete brainfart and scan the pitch looking for an incisive World Cup winning pass, instead of just booting it down the park and out of danger before an opponent took it off him like taking a dummy from a gently snoozing baby. Inexperience, or just one of many instances from an absolutely honking individual performance throughout the whole game? Which brings me to how he managed to last the whole game.

I genuinely couldn't believe Cannings double substitution. It made no sense at all and was compounded by him and Beuzelin then spending the next 10 minutes desperately trying to get what they wanted over to the players so it made a positive impact on the team and the overall plan, if indeed there was one. Fail :oops:

Taiwo was poor right from his first pass and it was no surprise he went off at halftime, Imrie made zero difference when he came on and while I think Kelly has talent, he wants too long to show it. I'm no great admirer of Bingham, but he took his goal well and at least he and Miller put in a shift, while as stated above, Boyd ran about to no obvious purpose with little discernible effect. Maybe Peterborough need a flatmate for Lyon?

Overall, a deeply disappointing afternoon with few positives, but hopefully this will be ground zero and we can get the new boys up to speed, on the park and get the underachievers sitting up beside me after the international break. I'd ask them to bring me a coffee, but they'd either drop it a few feet in front of me, chuck it 10 feet over my head, fall over when brushing by a kid going for a sweetie, or spend so much time looking for me to tell them what tactical shape l want my coffee to be delivered in, that it would be cold and I would wish I hadn't bothered. Much like today really :shock:
On the outskirts of nowhere, on the ring road to somewhere, on the verge of indecision, I'll always take the roundabout way.
Tumbleweed..
Seaside Leagues

Postby Euan » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:18 am

My first game of the season, I was realistic about our chances and would have been happy with a 0-0 but probably expected us to lose.
I was interested in seeing the new team in action and for the first 20 minutes was quite impressed with our solid back line and hopeful about our overall play.
Then reality struck, particularly our old failings of not being able to clear our lines or defend crosses.
First goal, Boyd should simply have kicked it up the park or out, but being a ‘creative’ player he tried to create an attacking opportunity instead, was muscled off the ball and they retained the attacking advantage, from which they scored. We had at least four other chances to clear before the ball went in, but failed. Boyd can’t be held solely responsible, although his initial naivety started the move, for what was a series of defensive howlers, from the whole team.
Second goal even worse, Foster skipped easily to the byline, crossed to the back post for a headed goal with not an Accies challenge in sight, pathetic defending. I need to see the highlights but my impression was that Delphin as a big defender should have been more of a hindrance to the gosalscorer, but was easily beaten to the ball at the back post.
Our goal was good interplay and Boyd was clever enough to find Bingham with a pass, while being challenged by their defenders, but we didn’t really look like scoring again.
Neither side could have felt cheated had it been a draw, but as always St Johnstone got the three points.

Regarding the new players
McGowan, looked keen to be involved but once he had the ball didn’t really do anything with it and didnt inspire defensively. He looks decent enough but not as good as the excitement surrounding his signing.
Delphin, suspect for their second goal and apart from the first 20 minutes shaky defensively overall. Even worse in midfield, so no surprise to see him subbed. Not his best game.
Tiawo had a poor game. I expected him to be a solid addition to our midfield. His tackling and passing were not impressive so again no surprise to see him subbed at half time.
Kelly, looks to have skill and a turn of pace. I was actually quite impressed with him and would have him in the team.

Of the rest, MacKinnon let the game pass him by and goal apart Bingham was ineffective.
Defensively, Woods, McMann, Want and Ziggy were ok, apart from collectively at the first goal and Sowah looked decent enough in the second half.
Miller looks a good prospect, he’s getting stronger and capable of holding off challenges that he’d have lost out on last season and has a definite eye for goal.
Boyd was at fault in the lead up to their first but had the sense to pass for an assist for our goal, so even Stephen.
His dead ball ability was no worse than Crawford, Redmond or Dougie, faint praise indeed!
However his overall contribution this season has been decent. He’s scored one of our two SPL goals and assisted in the second, albeit without doing much else, but that’s what he’s there for and if he’d been wearing a shirt with Templeton on the back he’d not have been criticised the same. If he can keep that going in terms of assists and goals I’m happy to have him in the team as apart from Miller there’s not a lot of creativity on show.
Similar performance to most of Templeton’s and a similar contribution so far.

Good to have the International break to allow the deadline players time to adjust.
Euan
Premiership

Postby Swift Frank » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:13 am

Good teams grind out draws at home even when playing pish.
Oh,I forgot, we're not good.
Swift Frank
Team Mascot

Postby Willie Wastle » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:49 pm

I agree with Martin Canning's post match analysis: we matched St Johnstone until they scored. Two soft goals, conceded in rapid succession, both as a consequence of failing to clear, cost us that game. And although we came back to score a good goal, it was too little, too late.

The goals apart, I thought our defence looked sound. But our midfield was unimpressive: if Boyd was to blame for the first goal (failing to clear), Taiwo was even more to blame for the second (same offence, but twice). I thought MacKinnon played well, but he can't run the midfield on his own, and Taiwo isn't contributing enough so far. I agree that Bingham and Miller worked hard, but didn't get enough service from midfield. Hopefully Martin can come in and make a difference.

Tshiembele looked good in defence, less effective in midfield. Ziggy and Want both defended well. McGowan shows for the ball, but his distribution is poor. McMann is much improved on last season, but not yet the finished article. We have increased competition for places in the back five, and if we can cut out the daft mistakes we'll not concede as many goals this season as last.

I don't get the criticism of Boyd - I thought he was one of our better performers, and he's clearly now our go-to dead ball expert. A lot of weight on young shoulders, but if someone was going to make something happen for us, it was him. And he played his part in our goal, well taken by Bingham.

Against the likes of St Mirren or Dundee, we could have won yesterday. But St Johnstone have far better game management, and the experience of guys like Foster and Craig tells. The other big problem, for me, is we don't have enough leaders on the park - I'm looking for Kilgallon to provide some of that.

Some big games coming up against some of the weaker teams in the league. We need to figure out our best XI quickly, cut out the errors, and get some points on the board.
Willie Wastle
Premiership

Previous

Return to Match Day Archives