Celtic .V. Accies - Match Thread

Old match day threads will be moved here

Re: Celtic .V. Accies - Match Thread

Postby Tumbleweed.. » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:25 pm

Not sure about that being a foul, but overall I have seen us defend far worse so it wasn't as bad as it could have been.

Miller worked away up front with little success with Boyd contributing not much, however thought the Dolphin looked not bad at all and the defence was reasonably solid most of the time, despite Woods continually kicking it out on the full. The midfield worked hard and even Imrie battled against Rogic well.

McGowan had a tough time, particularly in the second half and I feared the worst when he brought out a club from his shorts and battered Tierney 20 times about the face, head and body near the end, leaving the poor wee mite bleeding profusely and being unable to continue due to the savagery of the attack. Oh no wait, it was an aerial challenge that wee Kieran didnae like and from which he bravely managed to get up and carry on shortly thereafter. Think Sammon v Ziggy slowed down x 100 and you'll get the picture. What a shame a good player constantly play acts - there's hardly a challenge which isn't followed by him sprawling on the grass !!

Overall then, despite the expected defeat I thought it augured well for games against lesser teams and if we can add some attacking flair to the reasonableness of the defence we discovered today, I feel reasonably optimistic for the next few games. What an odd feeling :D
On the outskirts of nowhere, on the ring road to somewhere, on the verge of indecision, I'll always take the roundabout way.
Tumbleweed..
Seaside Leagues

Postby Euan » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:53 pm

It was a push on Ziggy but we'd have been fortunate if the goal was disallowed.
Realistically it was a goal and if we’d scored it and had it disallowed we’d have been raging.
Last edited by Euan on Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Euan
Premiership

Postby Willie Wastle » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:59 pm

Disappointing to take nothing from that game. It's not often we get a chance of a point in a game like that, and it feels like a chance missed.

But no great damage done. No significant injuries or suspensions, no dent to our confidence, and nobody would have expected us to take anything from Parkhead.

In the wider context, Motherwell drew, Dundee, St Mirren and Kilmarnock lost, only Livingston won. So no real ground lost.
sic a wife as Willie had, I wadna gie a button for her!
Willie Wastle
Premiership

Postby Big Wurzil » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:47 pm

No foul for me either, their guy got the jump on Gordon and it was a mis match. More concerned that 2 Celtic players could’ve tapped it in from 3 yards out. 1-0 is damage limitations so we move on to st Johnstone next week
Big Wurzil
Championship

Postby Alty accie » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:07 pm

porcupine wrote:Yup, looks a clear push in the back by Boyata on Gordon who might well have headed the ball clear. But what would you expect with a big Celtic home crowd and a referee likely to chalk it off?

The foul was committed by Lustig.
Alty accie
Seaside Leagues

Postby Swift Frank » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:43 am

Big Wurzil wrote:No foul for me either, their guy got the jump on Gordon and it was a mis match. More concerned that 2 Celtic players could’ve tapped it in from 3 yards out. 1-0 is damage limitations so we move on to st Johnstone next week

That thrown away point could prove vital come May.
And damage limitations can easily apply for the St Johnstone game too, knowing Accies and Mr Cannings amazing nous for the unpredictable.
Swift Frank
Team Mascot

Postby Bluesy » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:32 am

I thought we did ok. The big plus for me was Mcgowan and Delph look like quality defenders. I really would like to have seen Lewis Smith come on for Dougie (who didn't have a bad game) to push them a bit. It's time to put this guy in
Bluesy
Premiership

Postby Scotty Tunbridge » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:24 am

Bluesy wrote:I thought we did ok. The big plus for me was Mcgowan and Delph look like quality defenders. I really would like to have seen Lewis Smith come on for Dougie (who didn't have a bad game) to push them a bit. It's time to put this guy in

McGowan got turned inside out all game by tierney. He had an awful game. Delph looked good.
Scotty Tunbridge
Championship

Postby adriansprott » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:45 am

Thought the players showed great attitude and commitment against a very strong Celtic starting 11 , at the game I thought Gordon was pushed for the goal but when I saw it on TV Lustig just got the jump over him so no complaints . Just need to keep that performance level up every week and results will come .
adriansprott
Pub League

Postby Bluesy » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:05 pm

Scotty Tunbridge wrote:
Bluesy wrote:I thought we did ok. The big plus for me was Mcgowan and Delph look like quality defenders. I really would like to have seen Lewis Smith come on for Dougie (who didn't have a bad game) to push them a bit. It's time to put this guy in

McGowan got turned inside out all game by tierney. He had an awful game. Delph looked good.

No he didn't.

In the first half he coped exceptionally well with Tierney (where many others get taken apart) Admittedly for the start of the 2nd half he suffered when Tierney got a couple of dangerous crosses in however he got it back together. He looks like a proper full back to me (something we've needed since Ziggy left the first time). That is as hard a shift as you'll get in Scottish football.
Bluesy
Premiership

Postby Bluesy » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:16 pm

Anyway it's all about opinions but for me that's our best defence sorted (with no real adequate back up as far as I can see).
Dougie did well in a backs to the wall situation and Boyd tried hard but when we need to beat teams let's go for it and let Lewis Smith loose on St Johnstone
Bluesy
Premiership

Postby Euan » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:12 pm

Was speaking to a Celtic season ticket holder this afternoon.
He was realistically pleased to get a 1-0 and thought Accies defended very well as a unit and looked decent, considering the budget we work with.
He actually commented that Celtic could do with Canning organising and sorting out the Celtic defence, which I thought might amuse some on here.
Euan
Premiership

Postby Swift Frank » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:45 pm

Ha ha ha ha

Ha ha ha ha
That's a cracker!
Swift Frank
Team Mascot

Postby YeOldeHamiltonian » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:01 pm

Bluesy wrote:Anyway it's all about opinions but for me that's our best defence sorted (with no real adequate back up as far as I can see).
Dougie did well in a backs to the wall situation and Boyd tried hard but when we need to beat teams let's go for it and let Lewis Smith loose on St Johnstone

Young Stanger in the reserves isn't just back up-he should be in the first team for me as again outstanding today organising the defence,good positioning and even putting Sowah right.
YeOldeHamiltonian
Premiership

Postby Scotty Tunbridge » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:18 pm

Bluesy wrote:
Scotty Tunbridge wrote:

No he didn't.

In the first half he coped exceptionally well with Tierney (where many others get taken apart) Admittedly for the start of the 2nd half he suffered when Tierney got a couple of dangerous crosses in however he got it back together. He looks like a proper full back to me (something we've needed since Ziggy left the first time). That is as hard a shift as you'll get in Scottish football.

He did, He was great against Motherwell last week and looks like he should solve the Skondras shaped hole at right back for us. But being realistic he was so poor yesterday. Good to see him leave something on Tierney at the end though (who went down holding his face every time he got touched per usual) and the tears from the Celtic TV commentators about it were lovely.
Scotty Tunbridge
Championship

Previous

Return to Match Day Archives