Predictions for this season

Match day discussion, transfers, and all things Accies

Re: Predictions for this season

Postby Euan » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:06 am

Considering Martin Canning’s achievements with Accies, it’s surprising the indifference or even hostility towards him from some of the support.
-good player and captain of Accies.
- keeeping us up (just) in 2014/15 season, with no previous managerial experience and the loss of key players; Andreu, MAC and himself from the playing squad.
- keeping us up again in 2015/16 while continuing the Club’s ethos of developing players.
- keeping us up again in 2016/17, via a high pressure playoff we were expected to lose by everyone outside Accies.
- keeping us up again in 2017/18, despite the loss of funds, the sale of Docherty and the cost cutting release of useful squad players, mainly due to some great pre Christmas performances especially the 2-0 win at Ibrox (which wasn’t really a shock).
He’s done everything and more that ‘legend’ managers like Lambie, Reid and Neil achieved.
Winning away to the Old Firm, consistently beating Motherwell, keeping us in the top division over a 5 season period and developing good young players.
The football hasn’t always been great to watch (being generous there) and we’ve had some shocking results against us, particularly in the Cups, with Martin not being the most charismatic of people, which goes against his achievements.
The results so far have been poor (no surprise it’s the cup) and the new signings have yet to show up, but given all he’s managed so far I’m hopeful that we’ll surprise ourselves and put enough points on the board to stay up again.
Starting with a boring 0-0 today?
Euan
Premiership

Postby Tumbleweed.. » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:46 am

I don't think its surprising that many Accies fans don't rate Canning. The football we play is generally awful to watch, we hear the same guff week after week after week after week after week, seem to make the same mistakes on a similarly regular basis and he inspires zero confidence in the support that he knows how to sort that out, as he hasn't done it yet. Some of his decisions seem to make no sense - one example is our inability to score in cup games this season when we have players in the under 20s who score regularly, so why don't we give them a chance rather than continually hoping Bingham turns into Harry Kane. I know its a different level, but they can't do any worse than match his efforts.

I can think of the games I have actually enjoyed and got excited about over the last few seasons on the fingers of one hand and I don't hold out much hope of things being better this year. I hope I'm wrong and we are undefeated come May, but watching us is generally a brutal experience and there is little to encourage new fans to turn up, or stay once they have seen what is on offer. I surmise habit is a very strong reason why regulars attend as often as we do.

Canning certainly deserves credit for keeping us up, but in terms of improving and progressing, I don't see that at all. I wonder if he left Accies where he would get another job in football as I can't imagine he has hordes of talent spotters knocking down his door to come and work his magic somewhere else.

I fully expect us to lose heavily a few times this season and can see us, St Mirren and Livingston being cut adrift early, with enjoyment and excitement probably in short supply. If Canning can confound these expectations, I will be surprised and delighted. But I wont hold my breath waiting for that to happen...…..
On the outskirts of nowhere, on the ring road to somewhere, on the verge of indecision, I'll always take the roundabout way.
Tumbleweed..
Seaside Leagues

Postby smc4761 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:15 pm

A famous quote "I guess if you keep making the same mistake long enough, it becomes your style." Canning defo has his own style. An appalling win ratio, probably about 22% the worst of any long serving manager eg over 2 years, in Scotland , probably the UK

How many times over past few seasons have we lost goals from set pieces. Every bloody time Canning comes and says the same thing over and over, yet nothing seems to be done to rectify these mistakes.

These days I am strictly an armchair fan and to be honest I am glad I am . What is the point of forking out £25 a time watch 90 minutes of dross. Respect to those who do put their hard earned cash into the club, but I can think of much better ways of spending mine

This year is going to have a few leagues within leagues, top 5/6, next 3/4 then us Livi and St Midden battling out to beat the drop

Worryingly on Clyde superscoreboard, DJ and Hugh had Livi and St Midden to fill bottom 2 places. They always predict us to go down, and we somehow scrape through

Accies to win no more than 5 games all season, a number of draws and finish, before the split with 23 points
smc4761
Premiership

Postby TerracingTomas » Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:39 pm

Considering Martin Canning’s achievements with Accies, it’s surprising the indifference or even hostility towards him from some of the support.
-good player and captain of Accies.

The other side of the coin Euan is the failure to show any kind of progress whatsoever. Either in terms of league position, results or tactics. I have no animosity towards Martin but in clearing out the squad the board should have in my opinion changed the management team as well. However as even Les has now acknowledged referring to the turnover in players this season
“.. so now he (Martin) can be judged on his own team, to a degree.”
The Board has been very loyal to Martin but to me there is a hint there that if it goes pear shaped Martin’s position may be on a shoogly peg. That said it looks as though we are now stuck in tram lines in terms of appointing managers and they will come from within so I susect it would Dougie. May be he will prove to be another Alex. As before the first 6 games will tell us all we need to know IMO. I really want a positive performance today and some kind of result.
Any future sponsors should contact liningourownpockets@mcgoofeystadium.com
TerracingTomas
Premiership

Postby Yummy Fur » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:17 pm

Tumbleweed.. wrote:Canning certainly deserves credit for keeping us up, but in terms of improving and progressing, I don't see that at all. I wonder if he left Accies where he would get another job in football as I can't imagine he has hordes of talent spotters knocking down his door to come and work his magic somewhere else.

"The club that every fan in the Premiership loves to hate. Accies fans hear the same stuff every season, no fans, no atmosphere and a crap stadium, but no matter what people say they seem to get out of trouble every time. They will struggle like most seasons due to their budget but I think they will survive again but not without going through the play-offs. Their star man without a doubt is manager Martin Canning, he has done a brilliant job since coming. Unearthing new talent and being shrewd in the transfer market is what makes a good manager.
Star man: Martin Canning"

Quote from a journo above. Also noticed a few claiming that if Kenny Miller keeps Livi up then he should be manager of the year, Canning has done that 3 times now with a similar budget but yet he's a clown! It's easy to live in the WAH social media bubble where every decision gets pulled apart and every word gets analyzed but generally most from an outside perspective think Canning is doing a fine job. The phrase hoofball was coined on WAH and now adopted but in truth the football pre Jan (when an entire midfield was lost) was more than decent and if you wanted goals - at both ends - then following Accies was a good choice.

I realise it's a deeply unfashionable viewpoint but I'm looking forward to the new season. It will be difficult as no manager has ever kept Accies in the top league longer and certainly no manager has achieved it while doing a complete rebuilding job. Unfortunately the negativity has taken hold again and it's hugely damaging to the club. I have little issue with some pessimism given the cup results but the type of nonsense on the original post about "feeling sorry for the fans who need to watch the dross" and "return to being a diddy club" is slowly killing the club and chasing support to Motherwell and the Old Firm.
Yummy Fur
Seaside Leagues

Postby Swift Frank » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:53 pm

All very well and statistically Canning has done well keeping us up for so long.
However using as an example the display in the last home game against Celtic last season,that performance would scare fans away from football.
Anti-football.
Brendan Rodgers quoted as saying THE worst game he's ever been involved in.
Swift Frank
Team Mascot

Postby ggr » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:57 pm

Yummy Fur wrote:
Tumbleweed.. wrote:Canning certainly deserves credit for keeping us up, but in terms of improving and progressing, I don't see that at all. I wonder if he left Accies where he would get another job in football as I can't imagine he has hordes of talent spotters knocking down his door to come and work his magic somewhere else.

"The club that every fan in the Premiership loves to hate. Accies fans hear the same stuff every season, no fans, no atmosphere and a crap stadium, but no matter what people say they seem to get out of trouble every time. They will struggle like most seasons due to their budget but I think they will survive again but not without going through the play-offs. Their star man without a doubt is manager Martin Canning, he has done a brilliant job since coming. Unearthing new talent and being shrewd in the transfer market is what makes a good manager.

Quote from a journo above. Also noticed a few claiming that if Kenny Miller keeps Livi up then he should be manager of the year, Canning has done that 3 times now with a similar budget but yet he's a clown! It's easy to live in the WAH social media bubble where every decision gets pulled apart and every word gets analyzed but generally most from an outside perspective think Canning is doing a fine job. The phrase hoofball was coined on WAH and now adopted but in truth the football pre Jan (when an entire midfield was lost) was more than decent and if you wanted goals - at both ends - then following Accies was a good choice.

I realise it's a deeply unfashionable viewpoint but I'm looking forward to the new season. It will be difficult as no manager has ever kept Accies in the top league longer and certainly no manager has achieved it while doing a complete rebuilding job. Unfortunately the negativity has taken hold again and it's hugely damaging to the club. I have little issue with some pessimism given the cup results but the type of nonsense on the original post about "feeling sorry for the fans who need to watch the dross" and "return to being a diddy club" is slowly killing the club and chasing support to Motherwell and the Old Firm.

Couldn’t agree more. Personally, I love following the Accies. For a club of our size to be competing in the top division year in year out is quite remarkable. I suspect fans of Airdrie, Morton, QOS, Clyde, Ayr United,Raith Rovers, Dunfermline, Falkirk etc (all similar sized or bigger clubs) would bite your hand off to be in our position.
Sure, it can be a tough watch supporting a wee team in the top division, but I’d rather give my money to Accies than line the pockets of the Old Firm to watch them shooting fish in a barrel week in week out.
ggr
Pub League

Postby Willie Wastle » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:06 pm

ggr wrote:
Yummy Fur wrote:

Couldn’t agree more. Personally, I love following the Accies. For a club of our size to be competing in the top division year in year out is quite remarkable. I suspect fans of Airdrie, Morton, QOS, Clyde, Ayr United,Raith Rovers, Dunfermline, Falkirk etc (all similar sized or bigger clubs) would bite your hand off to be in our position.
Sure, it can be a tough watch supporting a wee team in the top division, but I’d rather give my money to Accies than line the pockets of the Old Firm to watch them shooting fish in a barrel week in week out.

This 100%.
sic a wife as Willie had, I wadna gie a button for her!
Willie Wastle
Premiership

Postby Tumbleweed.. » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:43 am

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but unfortunately an unquestioning acceptance of absolute mediocrity like some on here leads us to debacles like the second half today. First half was better than anything hinted at during the pre-season and Bet-Fred cup games, but unfortunately we were complete kack in the second half and got what we deserved. Absolutely zip. Being 'no bad' for half of your work would see most of us punted sharpish !!

Make as many excuses as you want, create as many what-ifs as you want, say it is everyone else's fault bar the real culprit, but when we cannot defend any better than last season and give away comically bad goals for the umpteenth time under Canning, then sooner or later there has to be a cognisance that he just cannot organise or inspire a team to not be pish for a full game. He hid after the 3rd, gave us a consummate "oh whit are yous doing I told you to be brilliant" performance after each disaster and was, overall, an incompetent manager of his workforce.

Examples
Bingham has never been any good, always starts and was subbed after another pish poor performance. DUD. He plays/starts every week which is inexcusable.
Imrie was good once upon a time, but now isn't. Subbed after another poor performance over what is now 2 seasons. Not a dud before, is now. Plays/starts every week which is inexcusable.
Lyon is average at best, but starts and was subbed. Might be a dud, might improve, but his performance today was completely foreseeable and depressingly guff Inexcusable.

I fully accept we are not going to win most of our games and acknowledge our low budget hampers us in trying to put a good squad/team together, but continually repeating mistake after mistake after mistake after mistake after mistake after mistake etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc is just RUBBISH and gives me no confidence that we are going to survive this season.

For those who think Canning is the messiah (see above :oops: :oops: :oops: ) please paint that second half (oh and pre-season and Bet-Fred cup games while you're at it) in a positive light....... Go on..... I dare you...……….........................................................
On the outskirts of nowhere, on the ring road to somewhere, on the verge of indecision, I'll always take the roundabout way.
Tumbleweed..
Seaside Leagues

Postby Bomber Harris » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:46 am

Tumbleweed.. wrote:Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but unfortunately an unquestioning acceptance of absolute mediocrity like some on here leads us to debacles like the second half today. First half was better than anything hinted at during the pre-season and Bet-Fred cup games, but unfortunately we were complete kack in the second half and got what we deserved. Absolutely zip. Being 'no bad' for half of your work would see most of us punted sharpish !!

Make as many excuses as you want, create as many what-ifs as you want, say it is everyone else's fault bar the real culprit, but when we cannot defend any better than last season and give away comically bad goals for the umpteenth time under Canning, then sooner or later there has to be a cognisance that he just cannot organise or inspire a team to not be pish for a full game. He hid after the 3rd, gave us a consummate "oh whit are yous doing I told you to be brilliant" performance after each disaster and was, overall, an incompetent manager of his workforce.

Examples
Bingham has never been any good, always starts and was subbed after another pish poor performance. DUD. He plays/starts every week which is inexcusable.
Imrie was good once upon a time, but now isn't. Subbed after another poor performance over what is now 2 seasons. Not a dud before, is now. Plays/starts every week which is inexcusable.
Lyon is average at best, but starts and was subbed. Might be a dud, might improve, but his performance today was completely foreseeable and depressingly guff Inexcusable.

I fully accept we are not going to win most of our games and acknowledge our low budget hampers us in trying to put a good squad/team together, but continually repeating mistake after mistake after mistake after mistake after mistake after mistake etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc is just RUBBISH and gives me no confidence that we are going to survive this season.

For those who think Canning is the messiah (see above :oops: :oops: :oops: ) please paint that second half (oh and pre-season and Bet-Fred cup games while you're at it) in a positive light....... Go on..... I dare you...……….........................................................

This 100%
Fat Alan has left the building. Cheers ta pirate
Bomber Harris
Premiership

Postby smc4761 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:08 pm

Tumbleweed.. wrote:Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but unfortunately an unquestioning acceptance of absolute mediocrity like some on here leads us to debacles like the second half today. First half was better than anything hinted at during the pre-season and Bet-Fred cup games, but unfortunately we were complete kack in the second half and got what we deserved. Absolutely zip. Being 'no bad' for half of your work would see most of us punted sharpish !!

Examples

Wot he said

If the football was bit better, we stopped making same mistakes, saw some progress, if he stopped being so loyal to too many below average players, maybe folks would get off his case.

But that aint gonna happen.

The team for the last few seasons has been pretty much Cannings team, his signings (Les signings), so I would say he is pretty culpable
smc4761
Premiership

Postby Hammy-hoops » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:57 pm

I thought hard about buying a season ticket this season, why? Because we are rubbish or we could very well get relegated? No!!
Just as Yummy Fur says negativity is slowly killing our club, the power of social media is turning many of our support against our manager & certain players. Bingham worked tirelessly yesterday with very little support but still he will be criticised mercilessly. Like almost all our support at Firpark I didn't agree with Miller being substituted but did it work? Even the number of posts depends on our results, victory very little, defeat & many more with nothing much to say except get rid of Canning.
Unlike armchair critics I have bought my season & will regarding of what division we start in next season.
Hammy-hoops
Pub League

Postby Tumbleweed.. » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:26 pm

Not sure what you're trying to say with that post H-H. That you're amazing for getting a season ticket? We are often rubbish and could very well get relegated this year - just like every year !!

I think social media reflects the often negative experience watching our manager and players week in and week out. If people criticise and complain and base those opinions on what some fud they don't know spouts on this and other message boards, then their claims to be an Accies fan aren't very strong and can be easily disregarded when reading such boards. Its not difficult, if you don't agree with their (repeated) point of view, ignore it as the ramblings of a tube and don't let it colour your view of everyone else, generally the silent, or sensible, majority. I'm sure Canning and the players don't read these boards and certainly shouldn't be taking decisions based on what people say on them. As for the way the club is run, it is so much more obvious the shortcomings rather than the praiseworthy, so criticism is generally warranted. Do something good and it will get praise - like the way the new media team started the pre-season !

As for Bingham, he is generally average at best, but interestingly I don't think any poster criticised him for yesterday. If you're saying that we shouldn't criticise him at all cos he runs about a bit in one game (albeit a Lanarkshire derby), then dream on. If he's bad, he'll get criticised, as with any player. As for Miller being substituted, I wasn't unhappy with Boyd or Cunningham coming on, I just thought Miller was our best hope of getting something from the game, being our top scorer and all. As it happens, it worked, to general surprise and merriment. Great

As for your point about armchair critics and being there next season, again you're amazing. Whether we do or don't get relegated, look around next season and you'll see the same faces who've been there for years and will be there for years to come. Sure it would be great for there to be more of us, but as Accies fans we shouldn't believe what most in Scottish football seem to regurgitate ad nauseum- that crowd size somehow relates to ability or entitlement to win on the park. We've never had a big support and probably never will, but whether there are 193 or 19,000 there, a win is to be celebrated by those there at the time AND those with Accies leanings who weren't.

Crowdwinking (sic) is generally petty when aimed at us by fans of other clubs, its surprising that one of our own fans feels the need to do the same after such a win.
Tumbleweed..
Seaside Leagues

Postby Swift Frank » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:49 am

How ironic that the wee dicks taunting Accies fans with the "trophy virgins" banner are all a bunch of pre-pube virgins themselves.
FTW
Swift Frank
Team Mascot

Previous

Return to The Accies