Martin Canning - Accies Legend?

Match day discussion, transfers, and all things Accies

Martin Canning - Accies Legend?

Postby Working for Cunard » Wed May 09, 2018 12:50 pm

Canning must surely be one of our most successful manages of all time, judging by our run in the top flight. Not the results each week, granted, but another season in the SPFL is surely something to be commended?
Working for Cunard
Seaside Leagues

Re: Martin Canning - Accies Legend?

Postby ggr » Wed May 09, 2018 1:36 pm

Indeed. Others will point to games lost, etc. But given that no other Accies manager in recent years has played all their matches in the top division, his (and Boozy's) record is second to none.

I said that given all the problems we had at the turn of the year, keeping us in the top division would be a remarkable achievement, and yet we've done it again, and managed to annoy pretty much everyone else in the league. Pleasing.

However, next season is going to be another enormous challenge, given who we've lost, and are about to lose.
We'll all need to steel ourselves for some more days nights like last night.
ggr
Pub League

Postby Stodmeister » Wed May 09, 2018 2:11 pm

You can't argue he has done extremely well keeping us up especially this season , with all the player changes and the off field fiasco's.

His hands are tied with what players we can sign but he does have control of team selection and formation and quite honestly sometimes it baffles me.
We have the worst defence in the league and are hopeless at set pieces , surely as a former centre half we can get that sorted for next season.

The selection of Rakish Bingham also baffles me , I just don't see anything in him apart from pace , sure he has scored 6 goals but he can't seem to hold the ball up , can't head the ball , his close control is poor all he has is pace , his stats say it all http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=72130

The flashes I've seen of Miller looks to me that he has way more to offer than some of the others on our books.

Anyway I don't pick the team and he should be applauded for keeping us up , legend? maybe he should be given the resources only time will tell but there's a percentage of the fans don't like him and that doesn't happen with legends I feel.
Stodmeister
Championship

Postby Swift Frank » Wed May 09, 2018 3:25 pm

Mmmmmm let me think long and hard about this one?
That's it, done it!
No !
Swift Frank
Team Mascot

Postby Big Wurzil » Wed May 09, 2018 4:52 pm

Certainly deserves a lot of plaudits for keeping Accies in the premiership for 3 consecutive years.

After Neil left in January 2015
P17 W 3 d 4 l 10
Finished the season with 53 points but was left with 40 points which was already enough to stay up and we needed it.

15/16 P38 W11 D10 L17 F42 A63 Pts 43 10th
16/17 P38 W7. D14 L17 F37 A56 Pts 35 11th
17/18 P37 W9. D6. L22 F47 A65 Pts 33 10th

Draw your own conclusions.

Is the league a poorer league when 33 points keeps you in it.

Alarming amount of defeats this year. The draws last 2 seasons are now defeats.
Big Wurzil
Championship

Postby smc4761 » Wed May 09, 2018 7:04 pm

have to agree pretty much with big wurzl, well done for keeping us up. Sure he has had a lot of crap to deal with this year, losing players, the loss of nearly £1 million, the Sarris nonsense.

His target this year as every year was to stay in Premier league so fair do's job done. I know its a team game but without Temps we would have been long gone

On the negative side, main reason we stayed up was due to shocking performances from Ross and Partick throughout the season

This year we conceded most goals in division. Had the fewest clean sheets. Plus side we scored a shed load of goals

The quality of football is dreadful to watch. Feel sorry for those that fork out their hard earned to watch what is on show

Never seem to learn from out mistakes. How many goals lost to set pieces. How many times did we throw away a lead

Formations are baffling. Even players seem at times to struggle knowing what they are supposed to be doing

The quality of the majority of signings have been very poor, especially foreigners. I know we are not going to sign superstars or pay great wages but other clubs seem to perform better

Win percentage since he took over is around 20% which is dreadful

Big question is have we made any progress since he took over. sadly the answer IMHO is absolutley not

We have some decent youngsters but with poor coaching, tactics and pressure they are not performing as good as they perhaps could be. A better coach may help them

Feel sorry for him to an extent he is simply a yes man for Les

Legend, no, decent bloke, maybe, would I like to see him go. YES
smc4761
Premiership

Postby TerracingTomas » Wed May 09, 2018 7:23 pm

Sums it up pretty accurately in my opinion SMC4761
Any future sponsors should contact liningourownpockets@mcgoofeystadium.com
TerracingTomas
Premiership

Postby Swift Frank » Wed May 09, 2018 10:02 pm

Can't argue with any of that.
How can you defend a one time defender in charge of a team that can't defend?
That's indefensible.
Swift Frank
Team Mascot

Return to The Accies