Job Vacancey speculation

Match day discussion, transfers, and all things Accies

Job Vacancey speculation

Postby H9crx » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:52 am

World Cup winner Rino Gattuso has sent a "highly impressive" CV to Hamilton as he applies for the managerial vacancy. (The Sun)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... -boss.html
H9crx
Premiership

Re: Job Vacancey speculation

Postby accies1874 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:31 am

No thanks.
accies1874
Premiership

Postby PrideOfLanarkshire » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:56 pm

What about John Hartson, would anyone take him?
PrideOfLanarkshire
Championship

Postby Accies999 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:46 pm

Good opportunity for any young manager that's looking for an opportunity to prove themselves and move on. In that case give it to Martin Canning. He may not have the playing credentials of Gattuso or any managerial experience. One thing he has got is experience of what the club is all about and how it's run.
Accies999
Seaside Leagues

Postby Thethirdproclaimer » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:04 pm

Is Canzo a manager though? Does he want to be? The AN example is a great story, but that won't happen with everyone who tries it otherwise no club would ever recruit, they'd just promote from within. AN had the 'luxury' of some time in the first division where there was no real expectation or target other than top 4. Canning comes in at arguably the high point in Accies' history. In my opinion the appointment we make now may define the next few seasons for Accies - do we want to be a competitive top 6 Premiership team (quite possible with the right investment in a mix of youth and experience, and a knowledgeable manager) or a yo yo club who get a wee taste of the big time every once in a while?

We've certainly got the youth side of the club bang on, and seem to have good players at every level, hope we can do the same with a manager/captain appointment in the near future. Certainly Gattuso doesn't fill me with any excitement whatsoever, surely the only "highly impressive" thing on his CV would relate to his playing career.
Thethirdproclaimer

Postby Alfie Olek » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:17 pm

do we want to be a competitive top 6 Premiership team (quite possible with the right investment in a mix of youth and experience, and a knowledgeable manager) or a yo yo club who get a wee taste of the big time every once in a while?

Sums it up perfectly. I’m sure most fans want the first option but I’m sure the main reason Les said he wanted league restructuring was to make it easier for clubs like us to go up and not end up in financial straits because there is now a bigger cushion for relegated teams and more chance of a quick return through the play - offs. Ronnie might have money but he has shown that he is not going to do a Gretna with it :)
Alfie Olek

Postby Accies999 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:21 pm

If it's not Canning that gets it or wants it should be someone with some up to date knowledge of the Scottish game. We do need to strengthen the squad. I think it would be quite hard for someone like Gattuso, without any knowledge of the Scottish League or our club, to come in at this stage in the transfer window and bring in the type of players we need.
Accies999
Seaside Leagues

Postby Willie Wastle » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:33 pm

My first choice would be to continue down the road the club is on, with internal appointments. However, we have to consider the possibility of Martin Canning not working out, and our succession planning looks thin. I doubt there's any other internal candidate.

Therefore, the club is wise to consider the option of external appointments. Gattuso is indeed a World Cup winner, with previous experience of playing in Scotland - albeit some years ago - and Scottish connections via his wife's family. I wouldn't rule him out just because he played for Rangers. But this sounds more like a story to sell papers to people interested in reading stuff about ex-Rangers players but not interested in reading stuff about Accies.

I suspect any external appointment, for a manager or perhaps for an experienced assistant, would be a much less newsworthy name. What we need first and foremost is someone who understands the level our club operates at, and our ethos of developing youth above all else.
sic a wife as Willie had, I wadna gie a button for her!
Willie Wastle
Premiership

Postby H9crx » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:45 am

H9crx
Premiership

Postby redandwhite1874 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:02 pm

I think perhaps the club and / or Martin might be moving towards another manager. Coming out publicly with the deadline etc just makes me think it wont be Canning. Martin himself said that he wasn't really involved with the hour to hour or day to day routine with Frankie and Alex so maybe doesn't have that consistency we need? Perhaps too early for him and a spell as assistant might be better ?

Its hard to pick a candidate; but if Stuart McCall is willing to take on our ethos and budget then I would fancy him maybe.
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Postby Alfie Olek » Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:38 pm

its hard to pick a candidate; but if Stuart McCall is willing to take on our ethos and budget then I would fancy him maybe.

Agree but I’m not sure he would come. It does look like more likely from Les's interview that there maybe an external appointment. The club will be looking for someone who has a track record of working with and developing young players. McCall is one so is Stuart taylor but given there are 60+ applicants some of whom will be silly ones like Gattuso I’m sure there might be a few real strong ones.
Alfie Olek

Postby H9crx » Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:15 pm

Listening to Les since AN left, I think he has an external in mind who was at the club in the past.

Stuart Taylor would be my guess.
H9crx
Premiership

Postby rubenthedog » Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:58 pm

I'd like it to be Stan.
I've a funny feeling it won't though, when he left was there not a bit of bad blood between himself and the directors
rubenthedog
Seaside Leagues

Postby rubenthedog » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:40 pm

just listened to martin canning press conference. It doesn't sound like he wants the job.
rubenthedog
Seaside Leagues

Postby Red and white hoops » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:39 pm

H9crx wrote:Listening to Les since AN left, I think he has an external in mind who was at the club in the past.

Stuart Taylor would be my guess.

I liked Stan when he was here and would welcome him back. Always rated him highly as a coach. Graeme jones is another option. I know he's assistant at Everton but if he wants to become a manager in his own right a club like Accies might be ideal for him.
Red and white hoops
Championship

Postby Yummy Fur » Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:22 pm

rubenthedog wrote:I'd like it to be Stan.
I've a funny feeling it won't though, when he left was there not a bit of bad blood between himself and the directors

Really don't get the Stuart Taylor thing, aside from an unsuccessful short stint in Irish football has done nothing since he left - backwards step! Not that he'll get the job as Rubenthedog says he left under a cloud and I'd imagine his chances rate alongside Cowboy McCormick & Ian Harty.
Yummy Fur
Seaside Leagues

Postby Colombian Boffin » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:03 pm

rubenthedog wrote:just listened to martin canning press conference. It doesn't sound like he wants the job.

I've just listened to the interview and it certainly seems that way. It seems he wants to be asked if he wants the job before he'll think about it... So, an external seems likely. I can't see Les and Ronnie going for someone they don't know, as their model of how things should be run is so important to them - and rightly so. I can't see how some famous name with huge ego could fit in at Accies. Ronnie and Les will want things done their way or not at all I think, so it's vital the new person buys into the Accies model 100%. I hope they fnd someone like that - Stuart McCall is an Accies fan to some extent, and is a decent person by all accounts - who knows?
Colombian Boffin
Seaside Leagues

Postby Thethirdproclaimer » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:57 pm

McCall would be a superb appointment, can't help but think he might be waiting for the call from Sevco though. If they last til the summer that is.
Thethirdproclaimer

Postby Alfie Olek » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:02 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30883281

The latest from the BBC web site seems to suggest Martin is warming to the idea.
Alfie Olek

Postby Acciesforme » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:24 pm

Sir Alex had the same attitude when he was placed in temporary charge - he spoke at a forum at the time saying he wanted to keep playing and wasn't sure if he was ready for management - he was! I am sure Canning doesn't want to appear too keen but must be aware that it would be a great first job.

Marko has left Dumbarton today - would be great to see him back.
Acciesforme
Pub League

Next

Return to The Accies