Left Back

Match day discussion, transfers, and all things Accies

Left Back

Postby H9crx » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:25 pm

This has been a issue for years and cost us another goal on Monday.

Was SH unwell or was he taken off as he was shite on TV?

Now that he has only got 6m left on his contract and does not look like he will complete an extension. I think if we get £10k for him would should snap it up.

If no one buys him in jan and does not extend his contract he should make way for McDonald.

Thoughts?
H9crx
Premiership

Re: Left Back

Postby redandwhite1874 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:39 pm

£10k? He was unwell. Note that he didn't loose us the goal, Gillespie did.

Even if his contract runs out we are still due decent money due to his age and appearances. I think its become fashionable to slag him off and I would far rather see him stay in the team and if he goes he goes for good money. No idea about McDonald or if he is good enough to step up.
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Postby H9crx » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:53 pm

Did not blame SH for the gaol but the lack of a good left back.
H9crx
Premiership

Postby ggr » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:05 pm

Can't understand the hate for SH, reminds me of the pelters Ally Crawford took on here for the past couple of years.
Personally I think we're far too harsh on our young players.

Hendrie is clearly a very good young left back, hence the interest from other clubs and Scotland caps, etc.
He would be sorely missed if he left.

McDonald may well turn out to be decent replacement, but he's completely untested at Premier level.
ggr
Pub League

Postby H9crx » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:11 pm

SH was untested in spfl before this year. He was also not first choice form the vast majority of last year. AN chose to play ziggy at LB and GG RB.
H9crx
Premiership

Postby WILF » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:48 pm

he probably doesn't need negativity from his own fans affecting his confidence. I do struggle to find anything positive to say about his performances in an Accies shirt though.
WILF
Seaside Leagues

Postby H9crx » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:15 pm

Some of his crosses have been very good, the one v Dundee for macs volley and the ball 2 #22 in perth.
H9crx
Premiership

Postby Whiskeytown » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:13 pm

WILF, he was part of the side that beat Celtic and Aberdeen, set up Imrie's early chance and set up the winning goal at Parkhead . He played well, as did the entire team against the Dons. As mentioned he crosses well and has set up a few goals recently. Defensively he could be better but your comments are very stingy, if I may say so.
Whiskeytown
Championship

Postby H9crx » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:39 am

Would like to clear up my coments, my £10k was not what I think he is valued at. It was a nominal number so the club gets some cash.
One thing Crawford has always done is extend for a few years which gives the club a chance of getting good £££ it also shows a respect fir the club that made him.

I think my frustrations is that SH has not extended and this gives me the empression that he thinks he is bigger and better than the club etc.

if he does not extend his contract and does not leave in jan, I don't think he should play and we need to give mc donald the same chance the we gave SH.

Illness your are not telling me that he did not feel in well befour KIck off or say to any one he was not feeling well, or was this canzos mistake by not having mc donald on the bench?
H9crx
Premiership

Postby Gaspode » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:03 am

I must admit I fail to see what all the hype around Hendrie is all about. At best he is an average player and if we get any sort of money for him then it's a bonus.
Gaspode
Championship

Postby Alfie Olek » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:41 pm

Part of the hype has come from the club hoping to sell him in the transfer window. If he does go down south during the summer do we still get development money for him? If so the Telfer move to United sets the bar for me at about 200,000.
Alfie Olek

Postby Accies999 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:59 pm

If Stephen goes good luck to him, he deserves it. Until then he's still our player so we should continue to support him. I don't get that he's been selected for almost all international levels expect a full cap and some people thinks he's a bad player. Maybe not as consistent as he could be but who is, excluding Tony Andreu.
Accies999
Seaside Leagues

Postby Thethirdproclaimer » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:13 pm

I certainly don't have any ill feeling towards him, or think he's a bad player. But I've obviously seen his whole Accies senior career up close and I can't say I see anything in him other than a very ordinary left back, and sometimes not even that. Maybe I'm old-fashioned but I like defenders to be able to defend first, then we can worry about attacking. That seems to be a real weakness in his game, having been sent off on at least two occasions I can think of for making daft tackles and going to ground too easily. He's also constantly being shouted at by the centre halves/defensive midfielders for being caught breaking the defensive line. I think Ziggy's rise has maybe shown Hendrie up a wee bit, as he hasn't progressed at nearly the same rate.

Being selected for Scotland is great, but there are plenty players with international caps who aren't necessarily international quality. Not saying that Hendrie's not, just think there are a good few holes in his game he needs to improve before we can say he's a particularly good player. I think the earlier point made about ZG and GG being preferred full backs when everyone was fit last season says a lot.
Thethirdproclaimer

Postby Accies999 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:31 pm

IMO SG and GG were first choice because we didn't really have any back up. Ziggy has come on leaps and bounds and I rate him until he's switched from right to left back where he becomes ordinary. Gillespie doesn't look comfortable when he's moved from midfield to right back. Maybe Keiron MacDonald will surprise us and prove to be a good full back.
Accies999
Seaside Leagues

Postby PrideOfLanarkshire » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:51 am

Saw Kieran McDonald in a pre season game VS Dumbarton and he was one of the ones that stood out.
PrideOfLanarkshire
Championship

Postby Gaspode » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:32 am

PrideOfLanarkshire wrote:Saw Kieran McDonald in a pre season game VS Dumbarton and he was one of the ones that stood out.

I saw that game to and he looked really comfortable on the ball but perhaps a bit lightweight. It would be a big gamble to throw him straight in against Celtic.
Gaspode
Championship

Postby WILF » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:16 pm

Whiskeytown wrote:WILF, he was part of the side that beat Celtic and Aberdeen, set up Imrie's early chance and set up the winning goal at Parkhead . He played well, as did the entire team against the Dons. As mentioned he crosses well and has set up a few goals recently. Defensively he could be better but your comments are very stingy, if I may say so.

Just my opinion Whiskeytown. I genuinely don't like criticising any player so before I do so again I'll stop typing and continue to support everyone in the red n white hoops and hopefully SH can set up another winner for us tomorrow.
WILF
Seaside Leagues

Return to The Accies