thank You Frankie

Match day discussion, transfers, and all things Accies

thank You Frankie

Postby H9crx » Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:16 pm

Thank you for all your work for the club. For all the unglamorous work behind the scenes that has provided the platform for now and the future.

All the very best

Thank you
H9crx
Premiership

Re: thank You Frankie

Postby JMcGrogan'sotherleg » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:16 am

Controversial though this statement may be, Frankie's loss may be the bigger blow in the long run.
For those who don't know, he's pretty much the architect of our much-admired youth system who then seamlessly moved into the first team dugout to help a relatively inexperienced manager to incredible success.
Despite retaining the Head of Youth title on paper, George Cairns had pretty much taken over Frankie's role since he became Alex's assistant but Frankie remained a big figure (in more ways than one!) and still regularly watched and coached youth games. (To be fair Alex was often around too but not so hands on, understandably)
The fear now is what is going to happen to that youth system. Given George's close relationship with the two of them for many years, might even he be tempted down there to some academy role?
Most youth training was cancelled this week - with the weather being blamed - but reading between the lines it seemed like the place was in meltdown.
Whatever happens, as well as finding a new management team, the board must act to bolster the youth set up. We had already been advertising for coaches of younger age groups. Who is going to find and recruit these people now?
If action is not taken, the concern would be that a lot of our young players might go to the Ugly Sisters or whoever if they and their parents aren't reassured there isn't going to be some continuity.
One who immediately springs to mind is the lad Alex himself spoke about in the press a few months ago when he said he was proud the boy had decided to stay at Accies instead of following several of his teammates who had been poached by Celtic over the past couple of seasons.
Given Frankie and Alex's involvement in his development, we can only hope he will stay. If he went, it might spark an exodus.
Finally, and on a more positive note, surely the compo from Norwich will allow us to put up a dome during the close season behind the goal and ensure all-weather training for at least some.
Every cloud etc etc
JMcGrogan'sotherleg
Pub League

Postby PurpleCanary » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:48 am

Another Norwich City fan here. Sincere apologies for poaching your manager, and now his assistant! Alex Neil has said that the two first-team two coaches we already have, Mike Phelan and Gary Holt, will stay and work alongside Frankie McAvoy, which prompts my question.

On the face of it that looks like overkill with the potential for an overlap of responsibilities, so I was wondering what kind of role Frankie had with you. Was he very much the first-team coach, which was what Phelan had become, or was he perhaps the kind of fixer or eminence grise that some managers like to have nowadays?

From all I have read here it sounds as if Alex Neil had done a fantastic job with you, so I hope whoever replaces him can keep up the good work. Good luck for the rest of the season.
PurpleCanary
Pub League

Postby JMcGrogan'sotherleg » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:42 am

PurpleCanary wrote:Another Norwich City fan here. Sincere apologies for poaching your manager, and now his assistant! Alex Neil has said that the two first-team two coaches we already have, Mike Phelan and Gary Holt, will stay and work alongside Frankie McAvoy, which prompts my question.

On the face of it that looks like overkill with the potential for an overlap of responsibilities, so I was wondering what kind of role Frankie had with you. Was he very much the first-team coach, which was what Phelan had become, or was he perhaps the kind of fixer or eminence grise that some managers like to have nowadays?

From all I have read here it sounds as if Alex Neil had done a fantastic job with you, so I hope whoever replaces him can keep up the good work. Good luck for the rest of the season.

Frankie quieter guy on the sidelines with Alex very much the shouter but his key role was in developing/encouraging younger players and those in the first team he had known for years.
I imagine Alex is taking him as he is a guy he knows and trusts - a friendly face among a lot of strangers.
JMcGrogan'sotherleg
Pub League

Postby PurpleCanary » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:44 pm

JMcGrogan'sotherleg wrote:
PurpleCanary wrote:Another Norwich City fan here. Sincere apologies for poaching your manager, and now his assistant! Alex Neil has said that the two first-team two coaches we already have, Mike Phelan and Gary Holt, will stay and work alongside Frankie McAvoy, which prompts my question.

Frankie quieter guy on the sidelines with Alex very much the shouter but his key role was in developing/encouraging younger players and those in the first team he had known for years.
I imagine Alex is taking him as he is a guy he knows and trusts - a friendly face among a lot of strangers.

Thanks for that!
PurpleCanary
Pub League

Postby Gaspode » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:06 pm

Frankie is a huge loss to our youth academy. Big boots to fill.
Gaspode
Championship

Return to The Accies