Norwich fan in peace

Match day discussion, transfers, and all things Accies

Norwich fan in peace

Postby canaryinpeace » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:13 pm

Hi there.

I hope you guys do not mind me registering on your forum. It is looking likely that Alex Neil is going to become our new manager.

First of all I would like to apologise to all of your fans if this happens, as we know only too well what it is like to have another club take your manager. I hope my coming on here will not upset anybody.

Its also very annoying when fans from other clubs make the situation all about them, as if the club they are predating upon serve only to feed them - I hope this is not what I am doing.

I can appreciate that losing a manager and a player whom has been pivotal to your recent fortunes will be a major blow. We are still recovering from losing Paul Lambert.

i hope you can also appreciate however that most Norwich fans will know very little about Alex Neil and would like to know more.

I can only assume David McNally (our chief exec - who used to be heavily involved with the SPL and Celtic) sees him as the next Paul Lambert.

So sorry if my joining and asking questions is inflammatory, but I would be really interested in your opinions on Alex Neil.

Is he likely to be expecting to play regularly? What sort of style does he have?

Many thanks
canaryinpeace
Pub League

Re: Norwich fan in peace

Postby Don van Vliet » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:30 pm

I'll be very surprised if he plays at all for you guys. His prone-ness to injury has been an issue for the last couple of seasons, if not longer. He did a hamstring in his last outing.

The style of play is what everyone is saying, apart from the WUMs posing as accies fans on your fans' forum. His team plays a high pressing, tempo game, based on quick passing and an attacking mentality. If you check out the highlights you will see that when the ball comes into the box, there are frequently 4 players in there waiting. This is because he uses his midfield to move forward fast. There is long passing of course, but no 'hit and hope' nonsense.

And thanks for the commiserations :cry: I fear he will take one or two of our players with him too. Andreu, Crawford or Hendrie. If so, at least they don't end up with one of the ugly sisters.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Law of Averages? There is no law of averages.
Don van Vliet
Seaside Leagues

Postby H9crx » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:06 pm

We are a club who prides ourselves on developing football talent- Players, managers, etc.

I think all the Accies fans wish Alex all the best as he has been a fantastic loyal servant to the club and should have played at a much higher level. For a young manager his team has been the best I have ever seen in the hoops for 25 years and my dad says he has never seen a team like this one in his 50 years of being a Accies fan.

I do hope that this will start a good relationship between the clubs. As others have said i think he will buy some of our young stars and raid the SPFL and Champion ship for other good players.

One thing in particular that i think is his strength is his signings and eye for a player, #22 Toney, Scotland and Jesus are all down to him. Thus far no duds I hope that we may see a few lones from norwitch our way.
H9crx
Premiership

Postby canaryinpeace » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:13 pm

Don van Vliet wrote:I'll be very surprised if he plays at all for you guys. His prone-ness to injury has been an issue for the last couple of seasons, if not longer. He did a hamstring in his last outing.

The style of play is what everyone is saying, apart from the WUMs posing as accies fans on your fans' forum. His team plays a high pressing, tempo game, based on quick passing and an attacking mentality. If you check out the highlights you will see that when the ball comes into the box, there are frequently 4 players in there waiting. This is because he uses his midfield to move forward fast. There is long passing of course, but no 'hit and hope' nonsense.

And thanks for the commiserations :cry: I fear he will take one or two of our players with him too. Andreu, Crawford or Hendrie. If so, at least they don't end up with one of the ugly sisters.

Thanks for the info. I post on a new forum called Norwichtalk, having left the Pinkun, which is probably where the winding up is going. The kind of style you have described is exactly what the Norwich fans have been crying out for since Lambert left and after 2 years of 'Hughton-ball'. The only way I could describe Lambert's style (with us anyway) would be 'swashbuckling'. In our season in the Premier League with him, we were the divisions 6th highest scorers (thought defence was quite leaky), because we would attack in numbers and gamble/overload. It was very exciting to watch and you always felt we were capable of giving anyone a bloody nose. Since Lambert left its been the opposite, where it felt like we couldnt even tie our own shoe-laces effectively.

Sounds like there are similarlities between what Neil has achieved with you and what Lambert did with us, which is possibly the reason he is being targetted. Thanks for the info :)
canaryinpeace
Pub League

Postby WILF » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:16 pm

As a player he was / is regarded as one of the best midfield players in Scotland and when fully fit would boss games and be hugely influential. He is also a snarling angry guy, prone to daft booking on the pitch which belies his skill and total commitment to slick passing football.

But...you won't be signing Alex as a player as his best days are probably behind him due to persistent injuries and fitness, he lasts about an hour these days.

He commands huge respect at Accies both as player and manager and has been influential in the development of players you'll be familiar with like James McCarthy and Janes McArthur, they played all their Accies career with Alex on their shoulder, helping, advising, protecting.

His teams play fast, attacking, high energy football. He likes to break at pace and flood the midfield. Most often plays a 4-1-4-1 formation. At Accies he has control over everything from first team all the way through the youth setup and his Accies team is full of young guys he has been pivotal in bringing through the ranks.

He has managed Accies through the most successful period in the clubs history and delivered results which will never be forgotten.....ever.

We are all absolutely gutted to lose him but everyone wishes him well if this happens.
WILF
Seaside Leagues

Postby canaryinpeace » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:21 pm

H9crx wrote:We are a club who prides ourselves on developing football talent- Players, managers, etc.

I think all the Accies fans wish Alex all the best as he has been a fantastic loyal servant to the club and should have played at a much higher level. For a young manager his team has been the best I have ever seen in the hoops for 25 years and my dad says he has never seen a team like this one in his 50 years of being a Accies fan.

I do hope that this will start a good relationship between the clubs. As others have said i think he will buy some of our young stars and raid the SPFL and Champion ship for other good players.

One thing in particular that i think is his strength is his signings and eye for a player, #22 Toney, Scotland and Jesus are all down to him. Thus far no duds I hope that we may see a few lones from norwitch our way.

We certainly have some players who need some first team football at a decent level, so think loans could well be beneficial for both. Neil Adams was appointed as Hughtons successor after winning the FA youth cup as U18's boss. It was hoped he would bring the attacking style Norwich fans wanted, but sadly this has not panned out.

Everything that has been said about Neil is very exciting from a Norwich fans perspective
canaryinpeace
Pub League

Postby Don van Vliet » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:29 pm

I'm interested to see that your club has had quite a Scots connection over the years, both in terms of players and managers. And you've got Gary Holt as first team coach, am I right? So AN could be part of a fine tradition.

And yes, some fine developing young players on loan would be fine, thank you.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Law of Averages? There is no law of averages.
Don van Vliet
Seaside Leagues

Postby canaryinpeace » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:32 pm

WILF wrote:As a player he was / is regarded as one of the best midfield players in Scotland and when fully fit would boss games and be hugely influential. He is also a snarling angry guy, prone to daft booking on the pitch which belies his skill and total commitment to slick passing football.

But...you won't be signing Alex as a player as his best days are probably behind him due to persistent injuries and fitness, he lasts about an hour these days.

He commands huge respect at Accies both as player and manager and has been influential in the development of players you'll be familiar with like James McCarthy and Janes McArthur, they played all their Accies career with Alex on their shoulder, helping, advising, protecting.

His teams play fast, attacking, high energy football. He likes to break at pace and flood the midfield. Most often plays a 4-1-4-1 formation. At Accies he has control over everything from first team all the way through the youth setup and his Accies team is full of young guys he has been pivotal in bringing through the ranks.

He has managed Accies through the most successful period in the clubs history and delivered results which will never be forgotten.....ever.

We are all absolutely gutted to lose him but everyone wishes him well if this happens.

What you are describing sounds like heaven to me! Seeing as he's been such a stalwart for you all these years I wouldnt be at all surprised if some kind of link-up between the clubs develops. Everything seems to be amicable at the moment.

We were criticised about how we acquired Lambert, and then it got very nasty when we lost him, so the club has since prided itself on being honourable when it comes to appointments and doing things 'the right way'
canaryinpeace
Pub League

Postby canaryinpeace » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:36 pm

Don van Vliet wrote:I'm interested to see that your club has had quite a Scots connection over the years, both in terms of players and managers. And you've got Gary Holt as first team coach, am I right? So AN could be part of a fine tradition.

And yes, some fine developing young players on loan would be fine, thank you.

We've had some great Scots and some duff ones! Peter Grant was a very good player for us, as was Gary Holt (three lungs). You are correct in that he is our first team coach. Famous Scots over the years have been Fleck, Gunn and recently we've had The King of Spain (Simon Lappin)

We signed Connor McGrandles this summer as well, though he has yet to feature
canaryinpeace
Pub League

Postby silverfox » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:55 pm

Was interesting to hear Peter Grant's impression of the Norwich managerial situation the other night on Radio Scotland. He was fearful that when Neil Adams returned to Norwich that it would undermine Alex Neil's position. In essence Grant appeared concerned that the appointment was potentially only a stop gap until this happened.

However, I am sure Alex would be aware of the politics and leaves Accies with the best wishes of the all Accies fans ..........just dont take too many of the first team with you!
silverfox
Seaside Leagues

Postby Colombian Boffin » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:31 pm

I've been watching Accies since 1973, and he's the best leader/manager I've ever seen. He has a very strong personality, and is very fair, so he really has the respect and loyalty of those around him, including us fans. In addition to all the footballing and managerial accolades above, I would say his character is 2nd to none. He has tremendous presence, but is also approachable and has a good sense of humour. Gutted that he's going so soon.
Colombian Boffin
Seaside Leagues

Postby Birf » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:45 pm

Very disappointed to see Alex go. It raises a lot of questions about what it means for the Accies immediate future and we need to be thinking about that immediately.

He's a real managerial talent and I think (and hope), that he will do well at Norwich. There's a huge expectation that's going to be on his shoulders and that may work against him. Best of luck Alex, and best of luck to Norwich City. If some promising Canary kids can come up to Hamilton and don the hoops they will receive a warm welcome!
Birf
Pub League

Postby Euan » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:09 am

The lure of Delia's cooking must have swayed the balance.
Hope he's a success, I'm sure he will be if given time and support.
Devastated to see him go, but wish him well.
Euan
Premiership

Postby Canary » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:16 pm

He's done an interview for our in-house TV station, link below...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRwo9r9G3tE

Certainly made an impression down here with his achievements with you as well as what other people are saying about him-and his remarkable self confidence and belief. If he can transmit that to a squad that is largely underachieving but is, or could be, as good as any in the division, we'll be in with a chance of making the top 2.

Agree with other poster, hope our clubs can maintain a relationship that benefits both in some way-would also hope there is a pre-seaosn friendly this Summer so we can all say "hello" properly, enjoy what would be a good game and give Alex a chance to pop back and see you.

All the best...
Canary
Pub League

Postby Mrsweetleftfoot » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:31 pm

As previously mentioned, Alex Neil has done a fantastic job with Accies, instilling confidence in the players to believe in their own abilities.

The football have played, this season in particular, has been excellent - best football I can remember since starting to watch Accies.

It's exciting going to watch Accies :)

Obviously, our loss is your gain..................best of luck to Alex (and Norwich) for the rest of the year.
Mrsweetleftfoot
Championship

Postby Bluesy » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:50 pm

Canary wrote:He's done an interview for our in-house TV station, link below...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRwo9r9G3tE

Certainly made an impression down here with his achievements with you as well as what other people are saying about him-and his remarkable self confidence and belief. If he can transmit that to a squad that is largely underachieving but is, or could be, as good as any in the division, we'll be in with a chance of making the top 2.

Agree with other poster, hope our clubs can maintain a relationship that benefits both in some way-would also hope there is a pre-seaosn friendly this Summer so we can all say "hello" properly, enjoy what would be a good game and give Alex a chance to pop back and see you.

All the best...

Thanks Canary - I am devastated but I'll definitely be supporting Norwich now (and therefore all of a sudden fervently and irrationally hate these Ipswich tractor boys)
Bluesy
Premiership

Postby Canary » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:27 pm

Sounds good to me Blusy-anyone we should suddenly develop an intense disliking of?

Alex has said he's bringing his assistant down at the end of the month (McAvoy?), what can we expect from him-good with the young players I hear? We've a lot of good youngsters, FA Youth Cup winners in 2013, so there might be a few heading up your way on loan, it would be a good experience for them and level to play at.
Canary
Pub League

Postby Bluesy » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:41 pm

[quote="Canary"]Sounds good to me Blusy-anyone we should suddenly develop an intense disliking of?

Celtic are our main rivals now thanks to your new manager.
Bluesy
Premiership

Postby accie » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:30 pm

My English team has always been the Tractor boys due to their great team in the late '80s, bit of a quandary now :roll:
accie
Seaside Leagues

Postby H9crx » Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:09 pm

Canary wrote:Sounds good to me Blusy-anyone we should suddenly develop an intense disliking of?

Alex has said he's bringing his assistant down at the end of the month (McAvoy?), what can we expect from him-good with the young players I hear? We've a lot of good youngsters, FA Youth Cup winners in 2013, so there might be a few heading up your way on loan, it would be a good experience for them and level to play at.

Motherwell and Dundee the dundee fans will be raining that you snubbed Paul Hartley and so will Paul!
H9crx
Premiership

Next

Return to The Accies