January transfer window

Match day discussion, transfers, and all things Accies

Re: January transfer window

Postby Don van Vliet » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:39 pm

You can only have an anticlimax if you were expecting something different. We all know we are not a spending club, even before the £600k went walkabout. So, what were you expecting? This is the most active window we've had in recruitment terms for a long time. The acquisition of Scott is a surprising bonus as I wasn't expecting anything else to happen today. And it looks as though Dundee are going to be weakened more than we have been?
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Law of Averages? There is no law of averages.
Don van Vliet
Seaside Leagues

Postby PrideOfLanarkshire » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:45 pm

Willie Wastle wrote:
PrideOfLanarkshire wrote:I hope i'm wrong but i feel like this is the only news we will be getting tonight

:D There's always someone whose glass is half empty!

I reckon we've lucked out here. If Daz had got his injury after the window closed would we have signed Charlie? Obviously I haven't seen anything of him, but he has an impressive pedigree. I thought we needed to replace Daz to stay up, and it looks like we have.

5, maybe 6, first team players have left this window, but we've got Sarris back, Kozo, now Scott, plus Ogkboe and Miller up front. I'd have settled for that. It keeps us right in the fight to stay up.

You are at it if you think signing a player from the 8th tier in England keeps us 'in the fight to stay up'

We reported to the press that we are looking to add at least 4 players today, we signed 1 and i knew that would be the case.

With Docherty, Donati etc leaving i would say we are weaker than we where before January started - infact that's a no brainer. These guys that left have been at the club for a while and are experienced.

We should be looking to bring in a few bodies who are ready to play in the first team, granted it's hard at accies but that doesn't mean i don't have the right to be dissapointed about only signing 1 player. We will see what happens in the next few days but answer me this, when has a signing at accies AFTER the January Window ever worked out? These guys can't get a club for a reason.
PrideOfLanarkshire
Championship

Postby PrideOfLanarkshire » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:47 pm

Don van Vliet wrote:You can only have an anticlimax if you were expecting something different. We all know we are not a spending club, even before the £600k went walkabout. So, what were you expecting?

A defender on-loan, preferably someone who can play left back and center back.
PrideOfLanarkshire
Championship

Postby Yummy Fur » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:59 pm

PrideOfLanarkshire wrote:
We will see what happens in the next few days but answer me this, when has a signing at accies AFTER the January Window ever worked out? These guys can't get a club for a reason.

David Templeton?
Yummy Fur
Seaside Leagues

Postby PrideOfLanarkshire » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:08 pm

Yummy Fur wrote:
PrideOfLanarkshire wrote:
We will see what happens in the next few days but answer me this, when has a signing at accies AFTER the January Window ever worked out? These guys can't get a club for a reason.

David Templeton?

Omar Diaby - March
Kemy Agustien - March
Nico Sumsky - February
Chris Mandiangu - December (Not sure how this one came about at that time of year)

I want these guys we sign to do good, but when it's outwith the window it never seems the case. Anyway lets see what happens...
PrideOfLanarkshire
Championship

Postby Stevie Clarke » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:12 pm

Willie Wastle wrote:
Stevie Clarke wrote:We're still quite light in midfield. This lad Scott has never played a first team game for anyone. Hopefully he'll hit the ground running.

Fair point.

But if he'd played for the Man U first team we wouldn't have got a sniff of him. I guess he's been more-or-less promised first team football at Accies, and he'll be looking to prove himself. I can only imagine what the standard of Man U's under-23s must be, and I notice some of their fans on social media are sorry he's leaving and hope he comes back.

I read that Man Utd U23s are one of the worst in the league. Most of their best young players go out on loan to the Football League or across Europe or are involved in the first team picture. The rest, the ones never likely to make it at United, play for the U23s.
Stevie Clarke
Premiership

Postby Willie Wastle » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:23 pm

Stevie Clarke wrote:
Willie Wastle wrote:
Stevie Clarke wrote:We're still quite light in midfield. This lad Scott has never played a first team game for anyone. Hopefully he'll hit the ground running.

Fair point.

But if he'd played for the Man U first team we wouldn't have got a sniff of him. I guess he's been more-or-less promised first team football at Accies, and he'll be looking to prove himself. I can only imagine what the standard of Man U's under-23s must be, and I notice some of their fans on social media are sorry he's leaving and hope he comes back.

I read that Man Utd U23s are one of the worst in the league. Most of their best young players go out on loan to the Football League or across Europe or are involved in the first team picture. The rest, the ones never likely to make it at United, play for the U23s.

So, to paraphrase, Man U under-23s are crap.

That's your argument, right?

<this post should be read in a Reservoir Dogs' Nice Guy Eddie accent>
sic a wife as Willie had, I wadna gie a button for her!
Willie Wastle
Premiership

Postby Stevie Clarke » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:32 pm

Man Utd U23s are bottom of their league.
Stevie Clarke
Premiership

Postby Jackbellhfc » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:00 am

Ludacris
Jackbellhfc
Pub League

Postby YeOldeHamiltonian » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:36 pm

Would have taken Stephen Hendrie as left midfield/left back;Swanson as right midfield and Paul Paton to replace the injured Daz.

As it is we have no left sided cover or right midfielder to replace Docherty.
YeOldeHamiltonian
Premiership

Postby Big Wurzil » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:30 pm

Big Wurzil
Championship

Postby smc4761 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:51 pm

Would have taken Stephen Hendrie as left midfield/left back;Swanson as right midfield and Paul Paton to replace the injured Daz.

As it is we have no left sided cover or right midfielder to replace Docherty.

Think it probably came down to money. These guys will be on better money elsewhere, and we pay the lowest wages in Premier league and probably many championships clubs
smc4761
Premiership

Postby YeOldeHamiltonian » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:31 pm

Wonder if this means Jason Scotland is away?

https://mobile.twitter.com/JuniorTransf ... 2359110657
YeOldeHamiltonian
Premiership

Postby ggr » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:36 pm

YeOldeHamiltonian wrote:Wonder if this means Jason Scotland is away?

https://mobile.twitter.com/JuniorTransf ... 2359110657

Sounds like it.
If we're cost cutting, a dedicated striker coach is possibly a luxury we can ill afford.
I suspect we're now seeing the effects of the fraud incident.
ggr
Pub League

Postby Gav » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:55 pm

Nothing to stop Scotland working with us during the week and playing for Harp on a Saturday.
Gav
Championship

Postby Jimmy Liddle » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:33 pm

Sorry if been mentioned elsewhere Stephen Hendrie now at Motherwell on loan FFS :evil: :o

Now that would have been a good loan signing, did we know his availability or wasn't he interested in a return to his former club?
Jimmy Liddle
Pub League

Postby Stevie Clarke » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:46 pm

I'm not surprised that former players do not wish to return. They'd probably feel like a bit of a failure if they came back to the smallest club in the Premiership. Better for their careers that they go elsewhere.

It's also a bit of a laugh seeing folk get so misty-eyed now for the likes of Longridge, Gillepsie and Hendrie when many could rarely find a good word to say about them when they were here.
Stevie Clarke
Premiership

Postby ASAccie » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:06 pm

Good point Stevie - I would rather we kept both Louis and Grant, not so sure about Hendrie! I still get nightmares about his performance away at Livi when we were pushing for promotion in 2013/14....

The issue we have is that a lot of players who have other options will probably wait until those are exhausted before joining us. For example the 3 players we were supposed to sign earlier this week could have got a better offer elsewhere - being the size of a club we are thats unfortunately the way its going to be!

Regarding the chap from Man U - apparently we have an option to take him on permanently at the end of the loan spell
ASAccie
Pub League

Postby Neilhoodwasmyhero » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:41 pm

Stevie Clarke wrote:I'm not surprised that former players do not wish to return. They'd probably feel like a bit of a failure if they came back to the smallest club in the Premiership. Better for their careers that they go elsewhere.

It's also a bit of a laugh seeing folk get so misty-eyed now for the likes of Longridge, Gillepsie and Hendrie when many could rarely find a good word to say about them when they were here.

Spot on, on both counts...especially the second one!
Neilhoodwasmyhero
Seaside Leagues

Postby Amoutahere1874 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:07 am

Fear not.A new era beckons.
Once Super Marius Oddball and Magic Mickel Miller strike up a partnership teams like Alloa,Stenhousemuir and Arbroath will be quaking in their boots.
Amoutahere1874
Premiership

PreviousNext

Return to The Accies