Darian MacKinnon - Accies Legend?

Match day discussion, transfers, and all things Accies

Darian MacKinnon - Accies Legend?

Postby porcupine » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:19 pm

With Daz's 200th appearance for us next week, is it not time for him to be added to the Accies' Legends Roster?

He has matured from an original hot-headed, troublesome player, to one of considerable talent in his midfielder role, and has tempered his emotions very significantly in recent seasons. Events at Tynecastle showed his 'new' common sense, where after being manhandled to the ground by the Hearts dugout clown, Daz very quickly exited the melee back onto the pitch and into the centre circle & out of trouble. A few years ago... we can all guess what it might have been.

MacKinnon was a player that many of us originally saw as a liability in an Accies jersey, and often there were calls for him to be sold on. How fortunate that the Club persevered with him, as Daz's contribution to our continued Premiership status, has been significant, with 100%+ effort, little or no injuries, and total commitment to both the jersey, and his team mates.

Most of us now recognise him as a mainstay of the team, an almost ever-present, (other than when yellow cards mount up!!), and hope than he can continue to exert his influence on the younger members of the squad coming through.

IMO, Daz is an Accies Legend, alongside the Chris Swailes & George McCluskey's of this Accies world.

What say you??
porcupine
Premiership

Re: Darian MacKinnon - Accies Legend?

Postby Stevie Clarke » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:09 pm

porcupine wrote:With Daz's 200th appearance for us next week, is it not time for him to be added to the Accies' Legends Roster?

He has matured from an original hot-headed, troublesome player, to one of considerable talent in his midfielder role, and has tempered his emotions very significantly in recent seasons. Events at Tynecastle showed his 'new' common sense, where after being manhandled to the ground by the Hearts dugout clown, Daz very quickly exited the melee back onto the pitch and into the centre circle & out of trouble. A few years ago... we can all guess what it might have been.

MacKinnon was a player that many of us originally saw as a liability in an Accies jersey, and often there were calls for him to be sold on. How fortunate that the Club persevered with him, as Daz's contribution to our continued Premiership status, has been significant, with 100%+ effort, little or no injuries, and total commitment to both the jersey, and his team mates.

Most of us now recognise him as a mainstay of the team, an almost ever-present, (other than when yellow cards mount up!!), and hope than he can continue to exert his influence on the younger members of the squad coming through.

IMO, Daz is an Accies Legend, alongside the Chris Swailes & George McCluskey's of this Accies world.

What say you??

I admired Chris Swailes but why would you mention him ahead of Mark McLaughlin?
Stevie Clarke
Premiership

Postby Euan » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:39 pm

Chris Swailes wouldn’t be on my legendary list, but Marko would definitely make it as would George McCluskey.

MacKinnon would currently be one of the first names on the team sheet alongside Docherty, so deserves to be called a legend, although as much for his legendary ‘flaws’ as for his play.
He wouldn’t make my all time first 11, but possibly would make the bench. A lot of legendary midfielders to choose from.
Euan
Premiership

Postby porcupine » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:41 pm

Swailsey joined Marko as an Accies Legend. (Marko was already there). Sometimes, its the hard grafters that can be overlooked i.e. Swailes, MacKinnon, and going further back "Wolfie". Paul McKenzie was an integral part of our team for a number of seasons in a similar role to Daz.

All guys without whom we would be (have been) the poorer unit. Just My opinion, however, but it's a thread on which we might get some sensible posts!!
porcupine
Premiership

Postby southoftheborder » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:04 pm

Jim Dempsey
southoftheborder
Seaside Leagues

Postby smc4761 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:41 pm

Most of my legends come from team of the 70's, Jim Dempsey, Jamie Fairlie, Jim Frew, Drew Young, Rikki Ferguson and Paul Hegarty. And the biggest legend, Neil Hood
smc4761
Premiership

Postby judgeflash » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:46 pm

If Daz can keep this up for another couple of seasons, he may well go down as a legend.
A couple of seasons ago I wanted shot of him due to him being such a liability. The past 2 years he has been an MVP for us most weeks, his work rate is off the charts at times. If I was in the accies midfield, i'd want him by my side.
judgeflash
Premiership

Postby Amoutahere1874 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:22 pm

Dave Smith.
Amoutahere1874
Premiership

Return to The Accies