Alex Neil

Match day discussion, transfers, and all things Accies

Re: Alex Neil

Postby Red and white hoops » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:29 pm

Gutted. To think that I've been that worried about losing players Alex never even came into it but it really shouldn't be a surprise. If, as looks certain, he does leave I'll certainly wish him all the very best for the future. He. Reds to take the opportunity when it arises as it might never come up again. I believe he has a young family so financialy I would imagine it makes sense too. My big worry now is that he comes back up for a few players. He oversees everything from the first team, u20s and u17s so it's not just the first team this will effect.
Red and white hoops
Championship

Postby redandwhite1874 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:34 pm

Can't begrudge him anything - he has done wonderful things and been a huge success as player and manager.

The only other straw is that he will need to ask himself the question he would ask a young player who has maybe not played that many games - have you learned your trade yet? Aged 33, 21 months as manager ? Huge wage bill and expectation and a board that are not slow to respond to poor results ?
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Postby The Bajan Bandit » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:19 pm

What a move for him to a club that could get to the premiership , thing is we are losing a guy who has been in my view our best player last month .
The Bajan Bandit
Seaside Leagues

Postby Colombian Boffin » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:22 pm

I know it's all been said, but I can't grudge Alex anything, given what he has achieved, and more importantly, how he has achieved it. He is a strong character, and a very honest and up-front person, which makes him a great manager. A huge loss if he goes, but who could blame him. I honestly think he could be one of the "greats".
Colombian Boffin
Seaside Leagues

Postby Bluesy » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:44 pm

Gutted but wish him all the best.

Please keep it in house when choosing the new manager. Who is the under 20s manager? Canning could also be a possibility. I would like as little as possible to change.
Bluesy
Premiership

Postby Euan » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:50 pm

Just saw this on stv news, gutted but wish him well.
Canning taking over would be a good move for consistency, but I'll trust the board to make the right move. Apart from the loyalty shown to BR and the resulting negativity around NDP at the time, when it was obvious to everyone he'd gone stale and should go, is their only slip up since taking over.
Euan
Premiership

Postby Don van Vliet » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:22 pm

I think it would be a massive gamble by Norwich as its a real leap in the dark. I'm not diminishing AN's achievements one bit but the difference between managing a tight community club on a shoestring and a city club with some pedigree and all complications of dealing with a large organisation is very big indeed. AN's experience is limited despite the phenomenal success and sparkling football he has brought. I'll be very surprised indeed to see him end up at Norwich. But I won't be surprised to see him end up somewhere else soon.

ETA: I wro the above before I saw the statement from the club on Twitter. I'm much less confident now but I still think it's either daring or foolhardy or both by Norwich. I hope for AN's sake he doesn't end up in a vipers' nest.
Last edited by Don van Vliet on Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Law of Averages? There is no law of averages.
Don van Vliet
Seaside Leagues

Postby RyanT » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:40 pm

He also stepped into the management role here as a very established player who had been with the club for many years, and commanded respect as a senior player. Most of our squad have never known Alex as anything but a coach or captain.

If he does go to Norwich, it will be a very different challenge. I truly hope they are willing to really let him have a go of it, because he has shown he can succeed - it just might take a bit of time to win over the squad down there.

Always had a bit of a soft spot for the Canaries, so if we are going to lose such a servant to our club, I am glad it's to them.
RyanT
Seaside Leagues

Postby WILF » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:49 pm

Can't quite believe it but like everyone wish him every success. I work in Norwich every other week and stay at the hotel which is actually part of the stadium. Norwich is a phenomenally well supported club with over 20,000 season ticket holders and capacity crowds every week. I've been to reserve and youth team matches on a regular basis which easily attract crowds of 5000 plus. It's a huge move for him but one which if offered he must take as football is an unforgiving business and opportunities need to be taken. Go for it Sir Alex and do yourself proud you deserve it.
WILF
Seaside Leagues

Postby H9crx » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:34 am

He deserves a big money move as he did not get it as a player. Well done alex what you have given to this club will never be forgotten.
H9crx
Premiership

Postby PrideOfLanarkshire » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:39 am

Canning new boss, Frankie stays as assistant.

Hopefully nothing changes, We have a good squad and Cannings work with the 17s has been amazing.
PrideOfLanarkshire
Championship

Postby Alfie Olek » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:45 am

BBC quoting various papers as saying the move would net Accies £250,000 not bad I suppose.
Alfie Olek

Postby Don van Vliet » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:31 pm

Don van Vliet
Seaside Leagues

Postby Accies Finest Spark » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:00 pm

Simply thanks Alex

Wore your heart on your sleeve and helped us to a title win as captain under BR and gave us an heart stopping tear jerking wonderful day last may at Easter Road for 10 years you've given your all
Accies Finest Spark
Pub League

Postby WILF » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:20 pm

I hope he takes the team one last time on Monday to get a proper send off.
WILF
Seaside Leagues

Postby Don van Vliet » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:30 pm

One thing that concerns me is that all this activity and attention around AN's future means that his attention - and that of RM and LG - is distracted from the transfer window in terms of players. Any thoughts about that?

Don van Vliet
Seaside Leagues

Postby Alfie Olek » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:33 pm

Sky also reporting that he has a lunchtime meet with the accies players to say his goodbyes. They also quoted a Norwich spokesman as saying not to expect an announcement re managerial appointment today. Presumably paperwork sorted tomorrow and then a press conference at Norwich. Cannot imagine he will in the dug out Monday. Might be in the stand or make a pitch side appearance otherwise i think he will be busy at Norwich’s training ground. Just amazing really.
Alfie Olek

Postby Alfie Olek » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:38 pm

One thing that concerns me is that all this activity and attention around AN's future means that his attention - and that of RM and LG - is distracted from the transfer window in terms of players.

We haven’t heard from Les at all, its Ronnie thats handling the manager move so maybe Les is focussing on the player transfer front. Maybe simply no concrete bids yet received . The window has a long way to go. Losing alex then possibly Andreu and hendrie and if canning became manager then the squad is seriously weakened no matter what replacements we have lined up from the under 20’s. There is a squad morale issue as well for those remaining behind. Whoever becomes manager needs to be a real motivator.
Alfie Olek

Postby Begs.hafc » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:05 pm

If it goes through,Thanks for everything Alex.wish you every success.
Begs.hafc
Seaside Leagues

Postby Willie Wastle » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:17 pm

WILF wrote:I hope he takes the team one last time on Monday to get a proper send off.

Agreed.

I wasn't planning on attending next Monday, but will change my plans if it's Sir Alex's last game.
sic a wife as Willie had, I wadna gie a button for her!
Willie Wastle
Premiership

PreviousNext

Return to The Accies