Alex Neil

Match day discussion, transfers, and all things Accies

Re: Alex Neil

Postby H9crx » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:00 pm

Reported the other day of low 6 figures

But in the interview above they said that it was for alex n frankie and accies were thogh on negotiations.

I would hope above £375k
H9crx
Premiership

Postby View From Afar » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:13 pm

It almost goes without saying that Alex has exceeded all reasonable expectations as a new manager and given us all (players, management and fans) a half season to remember and one which has been beyond our wildest dreams. So, well done Alex and all the best for the future - I genuinely hope you are a huge success at Norwich and beyond and that you enjoy it and can look back fondly at your time with Accies.

Like everyone else, I am so disappointed that we will never know what you could have achieved here with us as it could have been the pinnacle of Accies teams' performance in our entire 140+ years history - I think you (Alex) will also look back in the future and wonder what might have been.

I know opportunities have to be grabbed when they present themselves but I can't help feeling that a manager should never abandon a group of players (and fans) in mid-campaign. It is different for a player, but someone who aspires to leadership should put the group good above individual gain - I accept that is not easy to do if someone offers to significantly (double? triple? quadruple?) increase your salary but it does matter, it is important. Leaving at the end of the season would have been more appropriate (and dignified), perhaps that's an old fashioned view, sorry.

Anyway, good luck Alex and all the best - I will now be looking out for Norwich results with fingers crossed!
View From Afar
Pub League

Postby JMcGrogan'sotherleg » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:22 am

With all the back page (even front page in some instances) and TV and radio focus on Accies, a couple of interesting things stood out.
1. Alex's revelation in one of the papers about how he dropped himself from the team 24 hours before the Hibs 2nd leg and brought in Ali Crawford instead. Alex said it was a tough decision but one which paid off.

2. Ziggy Gordon in tears leaving the ground after Alex said goodbye to the team. Said it all really, given Ziggy has been there (I think I'm right in saying) since he was 10 and will have never known a skipper and youth boss apart from Alex and Frankie.
JMcGrogan'sotherleg
Pub League

Postby JMcGrogan'sotherleg » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:23 am

Oh, and now we have another English team to support after Wigan, Everton and Crystal Palace.
That's a lot of results to be looking out for!!
JMcGrogan'sotherleg
Pub League

Postby Beastie » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:25 am

View From Afar wrote:It almost goes without saying that Alex has exceeded all reasonable expectations as a new manager and given us all (players, management and fans) a half season to remember and one which has been beyond our wildest dreams. So, well done Alex and all the best for the future - I genuinely hope you are a huge success at Norwich and beyond and that you enjoy it and can look back fondly at your time with Accies.

Like everyone else, I am so disappointed that we will never know what you could have achieved here with us as it could have been the pinnacle of Accies teams' performance in our entire 140+ years history - I think you (Alex) will also look back in the future and wonder what might have been.

I know opportunities have to be grabbed when they present themselves but I can't help feeling that a manager should never abandon a group of players (and fans) in mid-campaign. It is different for a player, but someone who aspires to leadership should put the group good above individual gain - I accept that is not easy to do if someone offers to significantly (double? triple? quadruple?) increase your salary but it does matter, it is important. Leaving at the end of the season would have been more appropriate (and dignified), perhaps that's an old fashioned view, sorry.

Anyway, good luck Alex and all the best - I will now be looking out for Norwich results with fingers crossed!

VfA....thanks for that well considered summary and appreciation of Alex and Accies. You've pretty much summed up my take on it as well. I will never begrudge Alex's desire to better himself professionally, and to look after his family. I also, as an Accies fan, thank him profoundly for all he has done...He deserves what he has achieved if only for the happiness he has brought to us...I have the shirt he wore at Easter Road, and it's one of my proudest possessions. I can't help feeling he should have waited though...there has been an amazing story unfolding at Accies and he has been central to it. Maybe he was influenced by Billy Reid's missed opportunity but I just can't help feeling he's jumped a wee bit too soon. We'll see...I'll be happy to be proved wrong.
In the meantime...Les and Ronnie are in charge...they took a tough decision about Billy Reid and they've proved themselves right with the chance they took with Alex. They are astute business men too...I await the next few months with interest and guarded optimism.
Good luck to Norwich at Bournemouth on Saturday...but most of all good luck to the Accies on Monday
Beastie
Pub League

Postby Willie Wastle » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:07 am

The bigger picture here is that Accies have been on an upward trajectory for over a decade. Sure, there have been a few slips back along the way, but we've risen from mid-third-tier mediocrity to the top half of the top flight, without significantly increasing our resource base or fan following. This has not been about any one individual, it's been about the collective leadership exercised by Ronnie, Les and others in building a new model for a small successful football club.

Alex will be a huge loss. So will Frankie. But I was sorry to see Allan Maitland hand over as manager to Billy Reid, sorry to see Billy go, and of course we've also said goodbye to many great players (and some not so great but much loved) over the decade: McCarthy, McArthur, Easton, McLaughlin, McPhee, etc.

I hope Martin Canning can rise to the challenge. Perhaps he won't, and Alex and Frankie leaving will set us back for a wee while. But I'm confident the structure and culture of the club will generate new leaders, and in time see us go on to even greater things than we have achieved so far. Amid the disappointment we're all feeling these past few days, this remains an exciting time to support Accies.
sic a wife as Willie had, I wadna gie a button for her!
Willie Wastle
Premiership

Postby JMcGrogan'sotherleg » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:45 am

Good piece in today's Herald about Accies succession planning.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/foo ... .115891864

They do have a pay wall but you can read a certain number of items free.

Interesting that if we make it to Europe, Ronnie is apparently going to be sunning himself on a beach in Crete instead!
JMcGrogan'sotherleg
Pub League

Postby silverfox » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:47 pm

Agree with VFA about the speed and timing of Alex's departure and what might have been had he stayed. Sometimes it does feel that Accies are as much a selling platform as a football team, but this is true of Scottish football in general, and is something that is part of the fabric of being Accies fan.

However, as said before we need to have confidence in the system that created such recent success.........onwards and upwards!
silverfox
Seaside Leagues

Postby redandwhite1874 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:50 pm

silverfox wrote:Agree with VFA about the speed and timing of Alex's departure and what might have been had he stayed. Sometimes it does feel that Accies are as much a selling platform as a football team, but this is true of Scottish football in general, and is something that is part of the fabric of being Accies fan.

However, as said before we need to have confidence in the system that created such recent success.........onwards and upwards!

Every club is a selling club; the thing with Accies is that they don't deny it, don't ignore it and don't play it down - they embrace it and build the club on that principle. The success of Alex will no doubt have led to some thoughts on a potential replacement and as you say we just need to have confidence and also perhaps a wee bit of pragmatism that our uber success of recent times might take a wee hit.

In terms of additions to the coaching/managerial team I wonder if any of the following , with previous links to Accies, would interest us:

Stuart Taylor, Mark McLaughlin, Stuart Balmer, Simon Mensing, Jack Ross, Billy Stark, Scott Booth, John Brown :lol: , Beuzelin,
Last edited by redandwhite1874 on Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Postby Alfie Olek » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:44 pm

A reassuring piece in the Herald. I see Graeme Jones gets a mention perhaps worth keeping an eye on him

In terms of additions to the coaching/managerial team I wonder if any of the following , with previous links to Accies, would interest us:

Stuart Taylor, Mark McLaughlin, Stuart Balmer, Simon Mensing, Jack Ross, Billy Stark, Scott Booth,

If Canning is taking the Neil role and it works then its finding a replacement for Frankie thats next. Stark has the experience but can’t see him coming. Taylor might be the best bet.
Alfie Olek

Postby Willie Wastle » Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:55 pm

Quite a start for Alex at Bournemouth today.

A goal behind away to the Championship leaders, losing players through injuries, down to ten men... and still wins 2-1.

The man's a born winner.
sic a wife as Willie had, I wadna gie a button for her!
Willie Wastle
Premiership

Postby Yer Sisters Yer Maw » Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:07 pm

Willie Wastle wrote:Quite a start for Alex at Bournemouth today.

A goal behind away to the Championship leaders, losing players through injuries, down to ten men... and still wins 2-1.

The man's a born winner.

Norwich fan on Pie & Bovril said he came down to the dugout to take control of the team when their man was sent off, made a few tweaks and they went on to score the late winner. :D
Yer Sisters Yer Maw
Seaside Leagues

Postby RICARDO » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Yer Sisters Yer Maw wrote:

The man's a born winner.

Norwich fan on Pie & Bovril said he came down to the dugout to take control of the team when their man was sent off, made a few tweaks and they went on to score the late winner. :D

Looks like you've sent us a real winner.

Thanks and good luck to you all.
RICARDO
Pub League

Postby H9crx » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:16 pm

RICARDO wrote:
Yer Sisters Yer Maw wrote:

The man's a born winner.

Looks like you've sent us a real winner.

Thanks and good luck to you all.

Your welcome, if you can lone us a gritty midfielder who out jumps his hight and bosses the midfeild and leads on the park with a will to win and a tall 20+ goals a seasion striker would be much appreciated. Ps #22 is not for sale!

Canaries to go up via playoffs!
H9crx
Premiership

Postby redandwhite1874 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:13 am

Alfie Olek wrote:A reassuring piece in the Herald. I see Graeme Jones gets a mention perhaps worth keeping an eye on him

Stuart Taylor, Mark McLaughlin, Stuart Balmer, Simon Mensing, Jack Ross, Billy Stark, Scott Booth,

If Canning is taking the Neil role and it works then its finding a replacement for Frankie thats next. Stark has the experience but can’t see him coming. Taylor might be the best bet.

Allan McGonigal ? James Ward ?
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Postby Chase Outlaw » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:58 am

mark_PPR ‏@Mark_PPR

http://www.acciesfc.co.uk/ great support from @acciesfc best of luck to you guys as well proper club big love from all at NCFC
Don't do twitter but often check Accies twitter for up to date news,The above is a retweet at top of page as we speak.When checking the guy who tweeted it he also tweeted this.

mark_PPR @Mark_PPR · Jan 7

Never felt so let down by NCFC as today 33yrs old no track record
0 replies . 0 retweets 0 favourites
and this

mark_PPR @Mark_PPR · Jan 7

Looks like another cheap option for NCFC

He will end up with egg on his face because there is not such a big gap from where ALEX was operating to where he is now,Ncfc have players like Ruddy and Hooper where were they a couple of seasons ago Derby full of ex SPFL PLAYERS Bournemouth top Ipswich rely on a striker who could not cut it at Celtic and there is some dross in the league.

Sir Alex will be an outstandin success and move on to a bigger job no doubt about it.GOOD LUCK ALEX.
Chase Outlaw
Seaside Leagues

Postby Chase Outlaw » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:48 am

....Forgot to ask is just me who doesn't quite get this love in thing that is going on.Maybe it is the mental scars of the Lambie episode that has affected me.
Chase Outlaw
Seaside Leagues

Postby ThaiCanary » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:41 am

I never thought in a million years that I would be joining and contributing to a Hamilton Accies footy forum, but 'tis a strange world.

Since the mention of AN possibly coming to Norwich, then subsequently moving, I have been browsing the related content on here and have been thoroughly impressed with you guys. There appears to be a real sense of 'fair play' and a huge lack of bitterness, although I accept that might change if the likes of Andreu are to follow him out of the door.

I genuinely hope you can maintain the standard that has been set this season ans remain at the top end of the SPL come the end of the season.

I like the idea of a friendly match in the summer, which could help to cement some kind of 'relationship' between the two clubs, and as we have a very friendly fan base, you are assured of a hassle free day from any such visit.

Good luck guys and maybe see you on here again soon.
ThaiCanary
Pub League

Postby accies1874 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:05 am

ThaiCanary wrote:I never thought in a million years that I would be joining and contributing to a Hamilton Accies footy forum, but 'tis a strange world.

Since the mention of AN possibly coming to Norwich, then subsequently moving, I have been browsing the related content on here and have been thoroughly impressed with you guys. There appears to be a real sense of 'fair play' and a huge lack of bitterness, although I accept that might change if the likes of Andreu are to follow him out of the door.

I genuinely hope you can maintain the standard that has been set this season ans remain at the top end of the SPL come the end of the season.

I like the idea of a friendly match in the summer, which could help to cement some kind of 'relationship' between the two clubs, and as we have a very friendly fan base, you are assured of a hassle free day from any such visit.

Good luck guys and maybe see you on here again soon.

Really liked you guys since the season you were challenging for promotion. You seem to have a good fan base that really stuck out in your years in the Premiership by bringing great numbers and colour away from home and great turn outs at home (think you sold out every home game in your first 1 or 2 seasons in the Premiership). I don't doubt that these numbers have been kept up this season as well. Good luck in your fight for promotion.
accies1874
Premiership

Previous

Return to The Accies