Jan 2017 Transfer Market

Match day discussion, transfers, and all things Accies

Re: Jan 2017 Transfer Market

Postby Bomber Harris » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:42 pm

Accies don't sign players in January. Our Nico Sumsky type signing won't arrive untill February
Fat Alan has left the building. Cheers ta pirate
Bomber Harris
Premiership

Postby Stevie Clarke » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:19 pm

Can we get Steven Boyd back from Rovers? Two goals today, must have seven or eight this season*. He's not someone who is likely to come into the team straight away but would be a good option to have on the bench. Don't think we'll see Tena back before March, light training is a world away from being close to a comeback. Someone on Pie and Bovril said Sowah has turned down a contract. Hopefully not true. He looked composed again on Saturday, mostly, and was decent when he attacked.

*His stats on his wiki haven't been updated for months.
Stevie Clarke
Premiership

Postby H9crx » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:21 pm

I am very excited about the official tweet on transfer deadline day saying

"you can still bring out of contract players out with the window"

Yip fat shite or euro trash
H9crx
Premiership

Postby redandwhite1874 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:50 pm

Stevie Clarke wrote:Can we get Steven Boyd back from Rovers? Two goals today, must have seven or eight this season*. He's not someone who is likely to come into the team straight away but would be a good option to have on the bench. Don't think we'll see Tena back before March, light training is a world away from being close to a comeback. Someone on Pie and Bovril said Sowah has turned down a contract. Hopefully not true. He looked composed again on Saturday, mostly, and was decent when he attacked.

Boyd's loan is up - he has still been training with us and turning out sometimes for the U20s so it will be interesting if he renews his loan with AR, we maybe look for another loan in the Championship or if he joins the squad?
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Postby redandwhite1874 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:56 pm

H9crx wrote:Why are we not phoning all the clubs we have contacts with down south and getting a right and left back on loan? I think we should be looking at Loy!

Loy is an interesting one, who has been on our radar before, as its not clear if Dundee want him to leave fully or on loan; if the latter I would be surprised if they let him come to us unless Hartley's opinion of him is so low? Even if leaving fully then he would be looking at some drop in money to come to us and would he be worth pushing the boat out for ? I suppose that depends on what his best position is and where we would plan to play him. I don't think we can play 2 up, so can he then play as the support to the striker in a 5 man midfield - or can he hold up the play as a single striker ?

His time at Dundee declined after a decent start (in terms of goals) and he has not been able to take the chance he must have got when Hemmings and Stewart left; so he is 'damaged goods' to a certain extent but if he was at the top of his game we would not be able to get him.
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Postby H9crx » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:37 pm

Would have him in the #22 role or in a 5 man midfeild playing off Alex D, in his Falkirk days I recall he played on the wing.
H9crx
Premiership

Postby Bomber Harris » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:00 am

redandwhite1874 wrote:
H9crx wrote:Why are we not phoning all the clubs we have contacts with down south and getting a right and left back on loan? I think we should be looking at Loy!

Loy is an interesting one, who has been on our radar before, as its not clear if Dundee want him to leave fully or on loan; if the latter I would be surprised if they let him come to us unless Hartley's opinion of him is so low? Even if leaving fully then he would be looking at some drop in money to come to us and would he be worth pushing the boat out for ? I suppose that depends on what his best position is and where we would plan to play him. I don't think we can play 2 up, so can he then play as the support to the striker in a 5 man midfield - or can he hold up the play as a single striker ?

His time at Dundee declined after a decent start (in terms of goals) and he has not been able to take the chance he must have got when Hemmings and Stewart left; so he is 'damaged goods' to a certain extent but if he was at the top of his game we would not be able to get him.

Loy will end up at a big team like Falkirk, Dunfermline or Ayr utd. With the exception of Nade and our 3rd choice goalie Jamieson has Canning signed any other 1st team players from the Scottish leagues in his near 2 years in charge? can't think of any.
Bomber Harris
Premiership

Postby The Bajan Bandit » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:44 am

Canning has very little say on signings , a big part of the reason he is still in a job is he does what he is told , our agent friends will sort us out in February , if Neil keeps his job we may very well get Carlton back on loan .
The Bajan Bandit
Seaside Leagues

Postby H9crx » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:09 am

Chris Turner but was he a footballer?
H9crx
Premiership

Postby Big Wurzil » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:44 am

http://talksport.com/football/transfer- ... iring-2017

Could take a chance on one or two of this lot
Big Wurzil
Championship

Postby redandwhite1874 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:51 am

Sowah confirmed as gone. Another space to be filled with huge games straight after the break.
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Postby Bomber Harris » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:15 am

Is it just me that is beginning to see similarities to the Billy Reid relegation season? By that I mean the clear out before the inevitable happens. It's is starting to look like they really want to go down but that's just my opinion.
Bomber Harris
Premiership

Postby judgeflash » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:37 am

Stevie Clarke wrote:Can we get Steven Boyd back from Rovers? Two goals today, must have seven or eight this season*. He's not someone who is likely to come into the team straight away but would be a good option to have on the bench. Don't think we'll see Tena back before March, light training is a world away from being close to a comeback. Someone on Pie and Bovril said Sowah has turned down a contract. Hopefully not true. He looked composed again on Saturday, mostly, and was decent when he attacked.

I'm sorry..but I don't think we need a 5 foot 5", 10 stone attacker back, he is not gonna be the answer to our issues.

Canning is quoted in the papers as saying we need to strengthen our attack, yet failing to acknowledge his shambles of a defensive lineup. He was also quoted as saying it'll be very difficult to keep Sowah. The prospect of Seabourne-Sarris-Devlin for another 6 months makes me want to find an excuse to miss games.
We have zero creativity, confidence and sometimes ability within our squad.
judgeflash
Premiership

Postby Yummy Fur » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:42 pm

Bomber Harris wrote:Is it just me that is beginning to see similarities to the Billy Reid relegation season? By that I mean the clear out before the inevitable happens. It's is starting to look like they really want to go down but that's just my opinion.

To be fair this gets said most seasons that we've been a Premiership team and I'm not sure whether releasing Sowah and one of our many keepers is evidence that we want to be relegated this season. For me the big factor in this transfer window is whether Crawford stays or goes as this season similar to last season just about everything that's good or creative in our play comes from him. If we were to sell him and not properly replace him I would question the BoD's desire to stay in the Division.

Although it's still got huge room for improvement I feel the transfer policy this season has been better, with our signings with the exception of Roy being far more conventional with Seabourne, Woods, Bingham and Donati all having experience of Scottish football. As much as Roy was a total flop and is the current poster boy for all criticism of Accies signing policy I'd argue that the Donati signing has been the far bigger problem in terms of our season to date. Roy was a cheap punt whereas Donati was the marquee signing and so far hasn't lived anywhere up to that billing - if we are to avoid relegation he has a big 5 months ahead of him.

Ultimately it's a big January in front of Accies and they need to vastly improve on previous transfer windows. Jesus returning will help but his long absence has meant that many have forgot last season he had become a bit of a accident waiting to happen. Having Remi Matthews back should be huge for as good a shot stopper as Woods is he is constantly glued to his line and having a keeper who is confident in coming for crosses will help improve an admittedly shaky defence.

I'd like to see Canning decide once and for all if Gillespie is a RB or a midfielder, if he is a RB (he's done well there) then we need another midfielder whereas if he is a midfielder then a RB is essential. Back up to McMann at LB would be preferable (is Bob Harris still a free agent?) Not unusually I differ from the general consensus that we need another striker option, I think our striking options are ok but no matter who we sign they would struggle with the service they get from either flank so I'd rather we find a couple of wide players who can actually cross the ball which would allow us to go back and play 4-5-1 (4-3-3). If they can occasionally beat a man then that would also be an advantage.
Yummy Fur
Seaside Leagues

Postby judgeflash » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:15 pm

For the St Johnstone game - Devlin, Sarris and Donati are out. Add this to Sowah being allowed to leave and we are gonna end up with Dougie Imrie at CB. :geek:
I doubt Jesus will be proper match fit before the end of the season. as I said previously, the canning post motherwell interview really worries me, he thinks the problem is with the strikers..not with his defenders inabilty to defend a cross for the past 2 years.
As the saying goes, you have to speculate to accumulate, the only way this club will grow is through a higher quality of football, that can't be achieved with Eammonn Brophy running like he's on ice skates, or with signing the likes of Richard Roy.
judgeflash
Premiership

Postby redandwhite1874 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:57 pm

Sowah is a loss as he was here and settled however he was injury prone and if he has knocked us back there is nothing we can do.

Personally I agree our priority is a cutting edge in terms of goals. If we had one we would have been more than one up on a few games and the loss of a goal is potentially less likely and less important eg the Motherwell game. Not a striker but an central attacking midfielder.

Alongside then a full back is now vital and if they could fill in elsewhere at the back that would be even better.

We were in for Andreu so there must be funds available.
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Postby Stevie Clarke » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:19 pm

[quote="Yummy Fur] Having Remi Matthews back should be huge for as good a shot stopper as Woods is he is constantly glued to his line and having a keeper who is confident in coming for crosses will help improve an admittedly shaky defence.

[/quote]

Cerny and McGovern were always glued to their line according to some. Truth is no keeper at this level is constantly glued to their line, they generally come for balls that they have a chance of collecting or punching. Having sat in line with Woods six yard box at one end, I haven't seen him stuck to his line. The thought has never crossed my mind actually. Centre halfs have a job to do too and if a ball drops six yards out it's asking a lot for the keeper to make up four or five yards in the blink of an eye. We've not had many goalkeeping howlers this season but one that stands out is Matthews failing to reach a cross at Motherwell. Possibly he should have stayed on his line!
Stevie Clarke
Premiership

Postby Stevie Clarke » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:15 pm

Couple of cracking strikers finishes from Steven Boyd.

https://vimeo.com/197903205
Stevie Clarke
Premiership

Postby accies1874 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:07 pm

Stevie Clarke wrote:Couple of cracking strikers finishes from Steven Boyd.

https://vimeo.com/197903205

His touch for the first one was excellent. There's clearly loads of potential there, but the way things are going, he'll be an Championship player next season. We need players in that can do it now to keep us up. A Jason Scotland-esque signing.
We're in 2017, and we haven't had a right-back all season. Crazy. We need a left-back, right-back, centre-back, winger and striker. Obviously I'm not expecting us to do so, but a striker (or indeed any goalscorer) and defender could be the difference between survival and relegation.
If Ali goes, we need to reinvest the money in the first team. We've put money into Donati's wages, and as a previous poster said, we've clearly offered to pay a chunk of Andreu's wages, so money is there. Morris would be good, but he wouldn't work with D'Acol, so we'd probably have to change our style.
accies1874
Premiership

Postby Mrsweetleftfoot » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:48 am

Playing Donati at CDM has been detrimental to the pace of our play this year.

This has been a major contributory factor to slow ball into the wide areas. Gillespie, MacKinnon, Crawford and Docherty all want to do one thing....head up, move forward at PACE!

Donati would prefer to go backwards.

As much as he brings a wealth of experience etc to the club, as a whole, I feel that this is (and will remain) a huge problem this season.

You can't score goals, as a striker, if the ball is consistently being shelled to you at head height etc from the CB. We definitely, however, need a penalty box predator......like Scotland or Keatings.....a goal getter.

This is the one major shift in our style of play from AN to MC......we rarely play the ball on the deck with passing, fast moving football. This, coupled with a very lax pressing game have ensured we are now at the wrong end of the table....in a very average bottom 8......instead of challenging for top 6.

I hope that MC sorts us out in the full back area and up top but, I remain to be convinced......
Mrsweetleftfoot
Championship

PreviousNext

Return to The Accies