Why we should keep Martin Canning as manager

Match day discussion, transfers, and all things Accies

Re: Why we should keep Martin Canning as manager

Postby Willie Wastle » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:09 pm

Swift Frank wrote:
Willie Wastle wrote:
Swift Frank wrote:The only reason that I can see for keeping Martin is who else could pull off wearing that jumper better than him?

Brendan Rogers? Steven Gerrard?

I don't know if you've noticed, but v-neck jumpers are very common!

Rogers and Gerard are well entitled to wear Manager's cobber.

Neither of them are Australian? :?
sic a wife as Willie had, I wadna gie a button for her!
Willie Wastle
Premiership

Postby Swift Frank » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:51 pm

Surely even YOU can do better than that?
Swift Frank
Team Mascot

Postby Im_Rodger98 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:35 pm

Willie Wastle wrote:1. He's meeting his annual target of keeping us up. Four years in a row, and counting. On the evidence so far, we're on course to stay up for a sixth consecutive season in the top flight - something we haven't done for 80 years. Too many people must take this for granted now, because they're very quick to shrug it off, but our history shows it's not an easy accomplishment. He could be doing better, as almost any manager at any club could, so let's consider that after the second point.

2. There is no credible alternative. Anyone who thinks we're going to make an appointment like say, Steve Clarke, Neil McCann, Kenny Miller or any foreign coach, hasn't been paying attention to how this club operates. The internal candidates are Imrie, Beuzelin, Scotland, and perhaps now (at a stretch) Kilgallon - anyone confident any of them would do better? And at the moment there aren't many obvious external candidates: Alex Neil could probably do better with this squad, but he isn't available, and even if he was I doubt we could afford him; and who would welcome the return of Billy Reid? We've just overhauled the squad, bringing in (by my count) 14 new signings and 2 loans - that leaves little scope for new acquisitions, and what prospective new manager would accept that?

3. So now is not the right time. However, every manager is on borrowed time. Even if, like the Accies board, you believe in giving managers a fair crack of the whip, and maintaining continuity, there comes a time when you need to part company. That time is nothing to do with win ratios, and everything to do with the criterion of staying up, while continuing to develop talent and move some on at a profit. So how do we take that step forward? If we could improve our win ratio just a bit, we'd be rising to the next level - just 5 or 6 more wins would put us in contention for top six. If we can identify a manager who could deliver that, without compromising the way the club works, we should appoint him - but no earlier than the end of this season.

Finally, I've posted this in good faith, as an Accies fan who wants the best for the club. I recognise some will disagree, and I'm happy to debate with anyone who can be respectful to my point of view, and equally respectful to the subject of this, Martin Canning.

Okay I'd like to respond to this.

Yes Canning has kept Accies up 4 seasons going on 5.

Let's have a look at those seasons...

2014/2015:-
I do not credit Canning keeping us up this season.
I am not saying this jokingly when I say I believe we could have qualified for the Europa League for the first time in our history had Alex Neil not left.
When Alex Neil left he had gained 39 points and left us in 3rd. (After 20 Games)
11th - Motherwell 36 points
12th - St Mirren 30 points.
We could have literally lost every single game after Alex Neil left and still stayed up.
Therefore Alex Neil kept us up in 2014/2015 not Martin Canning.

2015/2016:-
For every season after 2014/2015 Canning has been lucky enough to witness other Premiership clubs have absolute meltdown seasons.
This season Dundee United's banter era had begun with them being so horrendously bad. (12th with 28 points)
Kilmarnock at this time also had their old owner who wasn't as keen as their current one to invest in their first team. (11th with 36 points)
Canning survived through a team who was in meltdown and a team in a very transitional stage.

2016/2017:-
This season was the season Accies have came closest to Relegation in our current term.
Canning survived this season because of Inverness CT hiring a manager equally as bad as Canning with less experience.
We finished 11th so were in a play off (2 games away from Relegation)
Were we going to die by the sword that promoted us in the first place?
Short answer no.
Dundee United were still undergoing their banter years so hero Greg Docherty put them back where they belong.
Sidenote:- Must admit the first leg of that game has to have been the best 0-0 I have ever experienced.
Canning barely survived this season.

2017/2018
This season we were kept up by.... David Templeton.
David Templeton has been Martin Canning's best signing since he took over.
David Templeton was undergoing trials with Partick Thistle at the tail end of 2016/2017 looking for a new club.
Partick never signed him because of his injury history.
If Partick took the chance on David Templeton before Canning did I would be very confident that Partick Thistle will still be a Premiership club today and not us.
This season he was helped by Ross County who had a moment of madness sacking Jim McIntyre for Owen Coyle.
Penultimate game of the season VS St Johnstone we had a must win game and we bottled it.
Motherwell aided us in avoiding the drop by beating Partick Thistle that same day.

Basically Canning has gotten very lucky so far.

We need a new manager who will progress us up the League.

If we could nab Stephen Craigen from Motherwell I would have my faith back in the management.
Im_Rodger98
Pub League

Postby Swift Frank » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:38 pm

Craigen?
Nah no thanks.
Graeme Jones for me.
Swift Frank
Team Mascot

Postby Bomber Harris » Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:48 pm

Canning out
Fat Alan has left the building. Cheers ta pirate
Bomber Harris
Premiership

Postby Swift Frank » Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:58 am

Ditto.
In 4 decades supporting the Club I have never seen so many regular fans stop going to games.
No wonder.We all know he won't be sacked and the anti-football he instills in the team will continue to drive the dwindling flock away until there are no fans left (nearly there).
Well Done Ronnie and Les.
Swift Frank
Team Mascot

Postby YeOldeHamiltonian » Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:03 pm

Many fans who stuck by the club in the real bad homeless years in the Seaside Leagues have chucked it in disgust at the intransigence of a Board of Directors who refuse to do the right thing.

Narey's Toepoke had a stat about his record but this was before yesterday so he will now be

Played 145

Won 33

Drawn 36

Lost 76

Scored 149

Conceded 252

Points 135
YeOldeHamiltonian
Premiership

Postby Swift Frank » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:05 pm

Very impressive record.
Swift Frank
Team Mascot

Postby Tumbleweed.. » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:59 pm

His stats for every competitive game, including Irn Bru cup group games etc are, from transfermarkt.com, a rather bewildering -

P 168 W 44 D 38 L 86 Goals for 199 Goals against 296

If any of our games are 'must not lose', rather than 'must win', then he has avoided defeat 82 times out of 168 (49%), losing 86 out of 168 (51%). I cant see how that can be dressed up other than being very poor, but I'm sure someone will have a go.

I could also break down the figures into how many points we have achieved against teams we are judged against, rather than those who we generally just surrender to, but I genuinely can't be bothered.

I've said many times that I'm sick of his Imrie and Bingham obsession when the evidence of his eyes must surely indicate that one of them used to have it but has lost it, while the other has never had it, never will have it and in fact doesn't even know what it is. Mind numbing.
On the outskirts of nowhere, on the ring road to somewhere, on the verge of indecision, I'll always take the roundabout way.
Tumbleweed..
Seaside Leagues

Postby Swift Frank » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:28 am

Old Chinese Proverb.
Never let the facts influence a Martin Canning team selection.
Swift Frank
Team Mascot

Postby Stodmeister » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:58 am

Tumbleweed.. wrote:
I've said many times that I'm sick of his Imrie and Bingham obsession when the evidence of his eyes must surely indicate that one of them used to have it but has lost it, while the other has never had it, never will have it and in fact doesn't even know what it is. Mind numbing.

100% correct
Stodmeister
Championship

Postby Stevie Clarke » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:45 am

Worth pointing out that at this stage last season, Lewis Ferguson had still to make his debut. As I recall, it was eventually forced on him in the cup the at Fir Park. Now look at him. He very obviously should have been in sooner and it seems we have several young players in the 17-19 age bracket who deserve a chance. But he doesn't learn and keeps picking Imrie (have we ever had a more inappropriate captain?) Answer my own question, yes, MacKinnon!

Personally I think Canning is scared of the pair of them.
Stevie Clarke
Premiership

Postby Willie Wastle » Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:15 pm

I expected a bit of a backlash after the Celtic game, but let's face it, nothing's changed, and the arguments are still the same.

We were always going to lose that game. At least we didn't pick up any injuries or suspensions in the process.

Now the next two games are an important test. Let's see how they go.
sic a wife as Willie had, I wadna gie a button for her!
Willie Wastle
Premiership

Postby Tumbleweed.. » Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:41 pm

So in that aspect, we can claim some form of moral victory I assume. Not one that gives us any points, goals or even a shot on target though obviously. :evil:

As for the next 2 games, I also assume that these are games which actually count and which we will be judged on, so might make a wee bit of effort to win, unlike Saturday's surrender before kick-off. St Mirren will be up following their victory against a team they are not judged against (see my point weeks ago that the stance evidenced by our manager is completely self-defeating), while we are navel gazing and trying to remain positive in the face of evidence that is almost completely negative.

I fully expect us to get beaten on Saturday, while fervently hoping we can still do something, anything, to address our hopeless form. Wishing we were better just doesn't cut it. For most of us anyway.
On the outskirts of nowhere, on the ring road to somewhere, on the verge of indecision, I'll always take the roundabout way.
Tumbleweed..
Seaside Leagues

Postby The Goalie » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:49 pm

Obviously, Willie is correct in saying nothing has changed, with regards to Accies league position. However, with both Dundee & St. Mirren picking up 1 & 3 points, respectively, they have closed the gap.
I do agree, that Accies were not expected to beat Celtic. But, when we have a manager who publicly negative about our chances of winning matches it's no wonder that negativity rubs off on Accies supporters, and, possibly the actual players.
God, I miss having a manager i.e. John Lambie, Billy Reid, Alex Neil et al who would talk up their team, as well as, prepare the team to compete against whom ever the opponents.
Re transfer window, I would be very surprised if Dundee & St. Mirren didn't give their respective managers additional funds to remain in the top league.
Yeah, St. Mirren have the issue of having a bloated playing squad already and could find it difficult to off load players...but after all the years of trying to return to the top flight, I'm sure they will pull out all the stops.
Whilst, Dundee have previous for spend well above their means, to stay in the league.
The Goalie
Seaside Leagues

Postby smc4761 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:18 pm

Next 2 games are of course big big games, which we need to pick up a bear minimum of 2 points, or 1 win for 3 points Will we get this NO.

We will then find out if we get no points, how long Canning will remain manager. If the board do not get shot of him after losing these 2 games, think all of us who want Canning out, myself included, will know that the man is unsackable. There would be no point in even raising the subject again. Crowds ???? will fall to 600/700 home fans and once we have lost the fans they will be in no hurry to come back
smc4761
Premiership

Previous

Return to The Accies